Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2014, 11:49   #121

Re: Next-gen Ford Figo unveiled! Details on page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post

The hydraulic steering in the current Figo feels sharp, direct and responsive (almost comparable to the old Ikon). I am guessing that is going away in favor of an all-electric setup, and I have to say Ford's new electric setups - while better than say Toyota's or Honda's - doesn't feel quite as good as the old ones (judging by the Fiesta, Focus and Fusion I drove a couple of months back).
It would indeed be a loss of one of the most important highlights of the Figo. I for one love the way it steers.

Also, a 1.6 turbo diesel mill is one thing that I eagerly looked forward to in the new Figo - for roadtrips . But it seems suspect, going by what I have read uptil now.

Also the lower ground clearance of the Figo is one thing that is bothersome off the highways.

I sincerely hope Ford addresses atleast these few things and it would still be a lot more fun car to drive in.
Old 6th November 2014, 12:42   #122
Senior - BHPian

Somehow the new Figo has lost the stance and character of the earlier Figo.

Also, an EPS cannot complement the fun aspect that was derived from the earlier Fords.
Ikon was a great example of the hydraulic PS set up ad they should have stuck to that.

EPS never gives that kick and Figo will lose a major highlight.
Old 24th January 2015, 09:55   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

The all-new 2015 Ford Figo (Ka) with minimal camouflage was snapped up from a secret location by the guys at Cartoq.

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-2015fordfigohatchbackspyshot5.jpg

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-2015fordfigohatchbackspyshot2.jpg

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-2015fordfigohatchbackspyshot6.jpg

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-2015fordfigohatchbackspyshot4.jpg

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-2015fordfigohatchbackspyshot1.jpg

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-2015fordfigohatchbackspyshot3.jpg

SOURCE (and more details) - Cartoq
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 10:09   #124
Senior - BHPian

That's a good facelift. Looks little taller and longer than the current figo.
Old 24th January 2015, 10:40   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
That's a good facelift. Looks little taller and longer than the current figo.
That my friend, is not a facelift! It's the next-generation (all new) Figo, also known as the Ka in some other markets.

Let's hope Ford plonks the 1 liter EcoBoost into this car without detuning it. And if they mate it to their DCT, nothing like it!
Old 24th January 2015, 10:45   #126
Senior - BHPian

Now that I am done lamenting the design change, I hope two things

- I hope Ford gives it a decent petrol engine this time. These days, the price of diesel cars is so ridiculously high, it may make sense to "Shell" out (pun unintended) more money for fuel and go for petrol models.

- I hope Ford doesn't screw up on the pricing. Price it to compete with the Ritz rather than the Swift, and we have a sure winner.

I'm still sad to see the old design go. I miss my Figo!
Old 24th January 2015, 16:53   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford Ka Hatchback - Details from the Brazilian website

I took a look at Ford's Brazilian website for the Ka, and came away with some interesting info about the Ka hatchback.

I've intentionally not looked much at the trim levels offered in Brazil, since the EcoSport's trim levels in Brazil differ from that on offer in India. Note that in Brazil, Ford offers the Ka with only two petrol engines: either 1.0L or 1.5L, and no diesel. These petrol engines have the following specs, in Brazil:
  • 1.0L TiVCT: 85hp, 100 Nm (with petrol, slightly higher with ethanol). 3-cylinders, 12 valves, 12:1 compression ratio.
  • 1.5L Sigma: 105hp, 143 Nm (with petrol, slightly higher with ethanol). 4-cylinder, 11:1 compression ratio.
It goes without saying that the engine offerings will differ somewhat in India, with the definite inclusion of a diesel.

Key Dimensions of the Ka Hatchback
Figo's equivalent numbers in parentheses
  • Length: 3886 mm (Figo = 3795 mm)
  • Width (including mirrors): 1911 mm (-)
  • Width (excluding mirrors): 1695 mm (1680 mm)
  • Height: 1525 mm (1427 mm)
  • Wheelbase: 2491 mm (2489 mm)
  • Ground clearance: Not specified (168 mm)
  • Turning radius: Not specified (4.9 meters)
  • Kerb weight: 1007 - 1034 kg, depending on engine/trim (1040 - 1090 kg for the 1.2 petrol Figo)
  • Trunk capacity: 257 litres (284 L)
  • Fuel tank: 51 litres (45 L)
  • Tires: 175/65 R14 or 195/55 R15, depending on trim (175/65 R14)
  • Its interesting to see that the length has increased by 9 cm but wheelbase hasn't changed - this implies that at least one of the overhangs has increased.
  • Body width increases by a negligible 1.5 cm, and given Ford's history, its unlikely they've liberated much (if any) shoulder room in the Ka compared to the Figo.
  • Height increases by a clean 10 cm, so that will definitely make entry/egress easier. I wonder how this alters the dynamics (not much, I presume).
  • The Brazilian site did not specify the ground clearance - apparently that's not a matter of concern for buyers there We Indians will keenly look at this, since the Figo was prone to bottoming out while loaded over tall speed breakers.

Some pictures from that site are also given here.

Interiors
  • Ford states there are 21 storage spots in the interior.
  • The instrument panel comes with ice-blue lighting, similar to the EcoSport and 2014 Fiesta.
  • Steering appears to be like the EcoSport, with phone/stereo controls on the left, but no cruise control. Naturally, this steering will be tied to the trim level.
  • I personally wish these dark interiors are retained for India too.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-ka-interior-topshot.jpg
Sync Infotainment
  • Sync offers App-Link, similar to the 2014 Fiesta (and unlike the EcoSport which doesn't have this).
  • What I find noteworthy in this iteration of the console design is that the hazard light switch has been moved away from the lock/unlock buttons, and the lock/unlock buttons are distinct and not combined in a single button. Both of these are minor annoyances in the EcoSport.
  • Another improvement is that the 4-way navigation key is the Fiesta type of joystick control, and not the EcoSport design.
  • If that's a chrome ring around the power/volume button, then it looks really cheesy/cheap!
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-ka-sync-1.jpg The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-ka-sync-2.jpg
Standard Stereo - MyFord Dock
  • This would come for the lower trims, with a funky-appearing mobile phone holder.
  • It is supposed to be adjustable and allows charging via USB (unsure whether there's a cable provided in there, or you have to route it from in front of the gear lever)
  • We'll have to see reviews to understand how well this works in reality with the plethora of mobile devices available.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-ka-stereo.jpg
HVAC Controls and Lower Console
  • I personally suspect the Ka hatchback will not get climate control, it might at most be reserved for the top-end Ka+ sedan, but will be happy to be proven wrong by Ford India.
  • We can see the aux-in, USB and 12V ports also, placed ahead of the gear lever, instead of ahead of the handbrake as in the EcoSport & Fiesta.
  • There's also a neat cubbyhole above the gear lever.
  • Also seen is the 5-speed gear lever; which I suspect its hooked up to Ford's beloved iB5 gearbox.
  • Another neat feature is a netted holder of some sort in the passenger side of the console.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-ka-hvac-1.jpg
Bottle Holders
  • Segmented bottle-holders in the door pocket - Ford say these can hold a 1L bottle, 600 ml bottle and an umbrella.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-ka-cubbyhole-1.jpg
Discreet Storage Compartment
  • Ford calls this a discreet and safe storage compartment that's only accessible by opening the door. I call it weird. Their photo example of keeping a cell-phone there is also hard to fathom. Maybe someone might want to keep their house keys there? Even so, it is hard to identify a use case for this. Maybe the smarter minds on this forum can think of ways of putting this to use!
  • Also seen are the headlamp and fog lamp controls. I wonder how easy this headlamp knob will be to use, since I prefer the knob in the Fiesta/EcoSport that has a pinchable handle (see this)
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-ka-cubbyhole-2.jpg
Trunk & Trunk Tray
  • 257 liter boot, compared to 284 L in the outgoing Figo
  • Similar to what's available for the EcoSport, this is available as an accessory in Brazil. I hope this makes it to India too.
  • The load lip does not seem too high, although that might just be the angle of the photo.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-ka-boot.jpg

Last edited by arunphilip : 24th January 2015 at 17:12.
arunphilip is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 17:18   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Price it to compete with the Ritz rather than the Swift, and we have a sure winner.
If it has the 1.5 tdci(90 horses), then i don't see any reason why the new Figo has to compete with the Ritz(which itself is a poor seller) instead of the Swift;

Unless the handling/ride quality is in the leagues of the Ritz!
Old 24th January 2015, 18:00   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
If it has the 1.5 tdci(90 horses), then i don't see any reason why the new Figo has to compete with the Ritz(which itself is a poor seller) instead of the Swift;

Unless the handling/ride quality is in the leagues of the Ritz!
Sorry to go off topic but Ritz is a better seller than what you think it is. If you take it's sales history it has constantly figured in top 20. And you will be amazed how well the car rides and handles on road despite it's tall boy design.

Figo will have a larger competition than just Ritz especially in the B2 segment, so the pricing needs to be competitive.
Old 24th January 2015, 18:41   #130
Senior - BHPian

Figo is expected with 1.5TDCI and a fixed geometry turbo, so power and torque would be 85PS and 200Nm respectively.
Old 27th January 2015, 21:22   #131
BHPian

Re: 2014 Ford Figo-based compact sedan: Is this it?

The headlamp shape looks a lot like the Grande Punto Evo, with a hint of Verna at the inner side near the bonnet. If not for the grille, it would be easily mistaken for a Hyundai.
Old 29th January 2015, 17:38   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

The all-new Ford Figo (Ka) will not be in the showrooms until September 2015. The Figo-based (Ka-based) sedan will be launched earlier instead, in July 2015.

Quote:
Of three new cars planned for this year, Ford is expected to launch the Figo sedan first around July, followed by its hatchback version around September and the new Endeavour SUV around December.
Source - Business Standard (via IAB)

Last edited by RavenAvi : 29th January 2015 at 17:40.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 21:36   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
The headlamp shape looks a lot like the Grande Punto Evo, with a hint of Verna at the inner side near the bonnet. If not for the grille, it would be easily mistaken for a Hyundai.

It looks as if design-wise, we're getting to a saturation at least in the B-car segment. All the new cars nowadays bear a tinge of some other car somewhere. I'm not sure if we'd be able to accept any drastic changes in the design even.

Coming to this car, it's a Ford. So pricing is gonna be the deal breaker again I guess!
Old 11th February 2015, 19:51   #134
BHPian

Ford Figo caught testing again.

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-2016fordfigorear.jpg
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-2016fordfigospiedsanand.jpg
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-2016fordfigotail.jpg

Interestingly, Ford has already started promoting front of the upcoming Figo on its pick up bus for office staff.

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-fordsanandplantbuses.jpg
damager21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 20:13   #135
Senior - BHPian

This doesn't look like a ford vehicle at all. :( Hope it drives like one.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks