Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 23:44   #46
BHPian

re: Tata Motors introduces 1.2L turbo-petrol Revotron engine

At first on reading 1.2 and then 85 PS, I thought tata was drunk. But after reading properly it doesn't seem to be a bad engine after all.

It's after all an 8 valve SOHC compared to the VVT DOHC 16V K12 engine. This looks like it is cheaper to build in comparison to the competition and has less things that can possibly go wrong.

Need to see the fuel economy figures though.

The engine will surely have good amounts of wide spread torque if we go by the figures and since their focus is driveability I hope they have taken care of the turbo lag and kept it to a minimal.

I think tata would see how this engine performs and then may come out with a 100+ bhp variant of the same engine.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 01:32   #47
BHPian

The max power might not be high, but its coming quite early at 5k rpm. Besides the torque rpms are also low. Probably it will be a fine balance of a smooth turbo transition with no lag and a uniform torque spread. Nothing can be conclusive from the specs that have been released. Probably there could be higher variants and dress level of this engine as well.

So lets congratulate our desi birth. Tata needs to survive.
Powersteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 01:58   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Why can't both be launched together?

Jusr a speculation, mind.
What is fun if both are launched at a time?!

They'll have to show the world that there is some R&D happening out there and it takes time to make things out of metal.

Actually shoaling both should compliment each and should be launched at a time in for their cars but Tata is Tata

Anurag.
Old 21st January 2014, 06:36   #49
BHPian

The spec sheet and the features it brings in does feel like Tata has invested quite a lot of resources to do its homework right, making sure their mid-size petrols are not a weak point anymore. By the way, if anyone did notice, a compression ratio of 9:3? What does that actually mean? I understand this is going to be charged compression, but does that mean, 9 units of turbocharged compression as against 3 units of non-turbocharged types (i.e., when turbocharger hasn't got into play yet)? Experts could clear the air.
vvijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 07:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
The spec sheet and the features it brings in does feel like Tata has invested quite a lot of resources to do its homework right, making sure their mid-size petrols are not a weak point anymore. By the way, if anyone did notice, a compression ratio of 9:3? What does that actually mean? I understand this is going to be charged compression, but does that mean, 9 units of turbocharged compression as against 3 units of non-turbocharged types (i.e., when turbocharger hasn't got into play yet)? Experts could clear the air.
My guess is that they goofed up again . It's tata motors. They probably have some business process standardization to ensure that all their business functions are uniformly shoddy . Other sources report that it's 9.3:1, which makes more sense, since the xeta had 10:1, and now it has a turbo.
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 09:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

Amazing how any new launch from Tata is ridiculed immediately.

To all those who think Tata failed miserably because the engine produces only 85PS, unlike the VW Tsi that produces 105(?), question is how many of these engines does the German maker sell in India? Or, how many of the Fiat Tjet do get sold?

The point is simple. Tata Motors did not have a decent petrol engine in their lineup, till now. With this, at least from the specs, they can claim to have a petrol offering that is at par with the competition. When launched in the upcoming Falcons, it will definitely give them a chance at tempting the price conscious car buyer. A typical car buyer won't care too much about the turbos or the bhp ratings of the engine. All he looks for is the car's pulling power (the way it drives) and mileage, along with the other aspects like how the car looks and feels. With this engine Tatas have covered the former. Next month we'll know about the later.

And yes, Tata Motors does have plans to launch different variants of the engine.
Quote:
On the cards at later stages is a sub-one litre engine and more powerful ones than Monday’s launch. Company executives say it wants to offer power in smaller engines like 1.2-litre at par with those seen on bigger engines like the 1.6-litre.
source - http://www.business-standard.com/art...2000912_1.html

Last edited by safari_lover : 21st January 2014 at 10:02.
safari_lover is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 10:29   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
How much more would you want for a Vista anyway!

I for one, will be more than happy if this unit proves an extremely reliable for atleast 1.5L kms.
I agree 85 BHP is good for a hatch, coupled with a decent midrange due to turbocharging.

My point was if other manufacturers are already getting more power from a NA engine, why add the extra cost of a turbo and it's water cooled plumbing. I am not sure though how this compares to doing a VVT on both the intake and exhaust, though. Then as you pointed out there is the reliability aspect as well.

The only thing missing from the bulletin is F.E. If tata is able to give a 20+ KMPL with this block, then it makes tremendous amount of sense.
Ph03nix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 10:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

Autocar India has put up a comparison article on their website. Worth a look, IMO.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...on-370051.aspx
safari_lover is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 10:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
It also helps that it was not particularly complex, and essentially half of an engine that had gone through a decade or so of testing at the hands of their customers.
I'm afraid you are mistaken!

Unlike Ace, Nano's engine is not Indica engine sliced into half. It's a new engine designed from scratch.

Credit must not be denied just because the guys involved aren't Europeans!
directinjection is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 10:39   #55
BHPian

very good attempt from Tata Motors, at-least by Spec's.

Just hope
1) they have reduce the weight of the engine.
2) they have sorted the Gear box to handle this turbo engine, efficiently.
3) Have option to tune this engine for higher performance.
4) And have learnt how to make a sturdy car, but weight less.

As for a Hatch Back car, 85BHP with a flat torque is good. But for the Saloon i think Tata Motors needs at-least 100BHP from it to pull customers, irrespective of how the vehicle looks, drives, & how comfortable it is, I feel customers today are naturally attracted to higher Spec cars.

All the Best to TATA for this.
Old 21st January 2014, 10:41   #56
Senior - BHPian

Ford EcoBoost 1.0L = 123 BHP
VW 1.2 TSI = 104 BHP

And the all new Revotron engine from Tata produces a mind-boggling figure = 84 BHP

And this engine is built for the all new Tata Falcon, which still looks no different from the late 90s. (As per the spy shots)

Dear Tata,

Why won't you shut shop and focus on getting JLR up against the big Trio? Because you're losing the game this side.

Movus, Falcon, earlier the Tata Merlin hype resulting in a Storme

Last edited by parrys : 21st January 2014 at 10:42.
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 10:49   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
I'm afraid you are mistaken!

Unlike Ace, Nano's engine is not Indica engine sliced into half. It's a new engine designed from scratch.

Credit must not be denied just because the guys involved aren't Europeans!
I stand corrected. The nano engine has managed to stay out of the spotlight so far. Let's hope this one continues the track record then!
Old 21st January 2014, 11:00   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post
I agree 85 BHP is good for a hatch, coupled with a decent midrange due to turbocharging.

My point was if other manufacturers are already getting more power from a NA engine, why add the extra cost of a turbo and it's water cooled plumbing. I am not sure though how this compares to doing a VVT on both the intake and exhaust, though. Then as you pointed out there is the reliability aspect as well.

The only thing missing from the bulletin is F.E. If tata is able to give a 20+ KMPL with this block, then it makes tremendous amount of sense.
Exactly what I had in mind. Thats not at all criticising. The only question is why all the extra tech when a well designed NA engine can bring out the same power? FE? Even the current NA 1.2 engines give respectable FE, especially the Hondas and the marutis.

Okay let's consider that the engine can deliver >20kmpl. But what about the multiple modes? If the max power is 85ps in performance mode, I guess that will be lower in economy mode. Instead, it would have been better for TATA to give a higher amount of power in performance mode and 85ps in economy mode. Waiting to see what the ARAI FE will be.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 11:02   #59
Senior - BHPian

The overall figures of the Engine looks good on paper. It has figures at par with the competition and better than some of the competitors. Now the main question comes is in which car it will go? Will it go in all cars like Vista, Manza, Indigo CS, Indica? I guess this engine will be quite useful in Vista and Indigo CS. Also with their Falcon range of cars coming, i am sure those cars will be powered with this engine only.

It will all depend on how new generation cars are from the Tata stable. Tata needs to get rid of Indica thing. All together new car with different design all together is needed. No Vista/Manza or Indica/Indigo anymore please. Then only this engine can prove its worth. New engine with old cars will go unnoticed. No body will even know about it. I am hoping something really good from Tata from its Falcon range of cars.
Old 21st January 2014, 11:11   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Exactly what I had in mind. Thats not at all criticising. The only question is why all the extra tech when a well designed NA engine can bring out the same power? FE? Even the current NA 1.2 engines give respectable FE, especially the Hondas and the marutis.

Okay let's consider that the engine can deliver >20kmpl. But what about the multiple modes? If the max power is 85ps in performance mode, I guess that will be lower in economy mode. Instead, it would have been better for TATA to give a higher amount of power in performance mode and 85ps in economy mode. Waiting to see what the ARAI FE will be.
Aren't we expecting a lot here? In one fell swoop we are expecting Tata to out do a Honda engine? They are called the masters of internal combustion engine and have legacy of making great engine for decades. The VW TSi makes more power but it also has extra hardware like direct injection and a 4 valve head.
In anycase this is not the maximum power this engine can develop. It is a conservative state of tune given its application and limitation of the gearbox to handle torque.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks