Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 16:01   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors introduces 1.2L turbo-petrol Revotron engine

Hats off to Tata for being the pioneer in launching India's first ever in-house developed turbocharged petrol engine, in the form of the 1.2 Liter Revotron. Using parts sourced from Honeywell & Bosch and with creative inputs from the Jaguar-Land Rover team, this engine uses drive-by-wire technology, with selectable modes for power and economy separately.

Tata Motors introduces 1.2L turbo-petrol Revotron engine-tatamotorsrevotron1.2literturbopetrolengine1.jpg

Quote:
The first engine from this line to be revealed is the Revotron 1.2T, a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder, 8-valve, turbocharged, intercooled, multi-point fuel injected unit, producing 85 PS @ 5000 rpm and 140 Nm of torque @ 1750-3500 rpm. With such low figures, it appears that Tata Motors has tuned the engine for better drivabilty and economy rather than outright performance. The engine features multiple driving modes for better throttle response, a Smart ECU, an eight-holed fuel injector, a stiffened crankcase and a new catalytic converter.
SOURCE (and complete details) - http://www.team-bhp.com/news/tata-la...family-engines

Last edited by GTO : 21st January 2014 at 15:06. Reason: Adding link to our own news item
RavenAvi is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 16:09   #2
BHPian

re: Tata Motors introduces 1.2L turbo-petrol Revotron engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Hats off to Tata for being the pioneer in launching India's first ever in-house developed turbocharged petrol engine, in the form of the 1.2 Liter Revotron. Using parts sourced from Honeywell & Bosch and with creative inputs from the Jaguar-Land Rover team, this engine uses drive-by-wire technology, with selectable modes for power and economy separately.

The cast-iron block, 4-cylinder powerplant will produce 85 PS of power at 5000 RPM and 140 Nm of torque between 1750-3000 RPM. Also, the engine is BS-IV compliant, uses a water-cooled turbocharger and Tata Motors claims this motor has the best-in-class NVH.

The 1.2L Revotron is expected to power Tata Motors' upcoming Falcon 4 & Falcon 5 cars. The Tata Vista Tech, scheduled to be launched tomorrow, is expected to get this powerplant as well.

SOURCE (and complete details) - http://www.cartoq.com/tata-motors-un...gine-in-india/
Turbocharged engines are the way forward, no two ways about that. However this block does not seem all that impressive. Honda makes more power out of a NA 1.2 engine. So does maruti if I am not wrong.

The number of torque's does seem to be slightly higher than a NA engine.
Ph03nix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 16:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post
The number of torque's does seem to be slightly higher than a NA engine.
Not only that, even the RPM at which the peak torque is available, is low. Typical of turbocharged engines.

Just for comparison, Brio's peak torque, 109Nm, comes at 4500 RPM. So, Tata cars with this engine should be easier to drive in the city, if they gets the gear ratios right.

Let's hope the first generation of this motor is reliable, at least!
rohanjf is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 16:17   #4
BHPian

Well, this is great news. First, A TATA aficionado and maybe my next car has this petrol engine!

Being a CI block, I am sure that this will be able to take some tuning.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 16:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

The cast-iron block, 4-cylinder powerplant will produce 85 PS of power at 5000 RPM and 140 Nm of torque between 1750-3000 RPM. Also, the engine is BS-IV compliant, uses a water-cooled turbocharger and Tata Motors claims this motor has the best-in-class NVH.

SOURCE (and complete details) - http://www.cartoq.com/tata-motors-un...gine-in-india/

I expected three digit figures for the max power. Quite disappointing. However I just hope the specs were not posted properly. And the article mentions that drive by wire was seen in the palio 1.9. Many cars have this feature these days and I dont think there is anything exclusive except for the torque, which again can be sorted out by gearing. I just hope they pull a 100bhp out of it, especially when:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post
Honda makes more power out of a NA 1.2 engine. So does maruti if I am not wrong.

Exactly. The 1.2K series pulls out equal power even if its naturally aspirated. And the Jazz had a 90bhp 1.2 if I am not wrong. I am sure it was >85bhp at least. So does hyundai, in their NA 1.2. Why does tata stick to the same engine block always? I think the cast iron block will add in to the weight of the engine. Given the turbo and related components, this will be heavier compared to the other engines. My uncles 1.2 Xeta gave terrible mileage, so I pray this one will give good FE.

Last edited by audioholic : 20th January 2014 at 16:29.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 16:42   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Are they planning to get it right on the first attempt or will they again get the first generation owners 'Tata'ed'? Not a criticism, just what is in the books.
saket77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 16:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

85PS from a turbo petrol 1.2 is disappointing!

The 1.2 TSI VW engine puts out 105PS and the Ford Ecoboost puts out 125PS from 1.0L 3 cylinder motor.

85 PS is almost what maruti manages with the 1.2L K series engine and lower than Honda's 1.2L engine in Amaze, Brio and Jazz.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 16:56   #8
BHPian

I think their goal was an engine that generates much more low-end torque and is tuned towards FE as opposed to power. If it generates maximum torque between 1750-3500RPM, that gives you a car with good low-end and mid-range torque with (possibly) notable improvement in the FE figures in the city cycle (compared to a high-revving petrol). The average motorist out there will be put off more by an ARAI rating of 15 km/l than the figure of 85PS. This engine configuration makes sense from that point of view.

Last edited by SlowRider : 20th January 2014 at 16:58.
SlowRider is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 16:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

As posted on ACI-

Quote:
The Revotron 1.2T petrol engine is CNG-capable.
This is for the taxi-wallahs & misers like me (imagine 20+ kmpl in city for a full size sedan). Their R&D people have worked hard as always .

I bet QC will soon catch up under Karl Symm.
CARDEEP is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 17:01   #10
gemi_kk

Not at all satisfied with the specs. It Sounds more like Old tech in new engine block.

Generating 85 PS from 1.2 Turbo charged petrol motor is nothing. The N/A swift engine 1.2K produces 90 bhp i think.

I dont see any creative inputs from JLR in this. If they have involved, then the output would have been much better.

Good to hear that, it has Drive by Wire. I think, it will be india's first home made engine using these tech's. I hope they don't burn their hands like Lexus with this Drive by wire tech.

And what's this "with selectable modes for power and economy separately." So, if i put it in Economy mode, what will it generate? 65 PS? 69 PS? i think, this is the same Vista petrol engine slightly modded. Even Vista engine used to produce the same power levels.
  (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 17:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Not everything is about BHP guy's. I am sure they must of thought of this. They are mainly targeting it for a hatch / entry level sedan. So they are looking for mix of both, power & FE. Figures are not bad. Now we need to see how drivable engine is in actual. I am happy that Tata is going in right direction.
aniketi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 17:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Is 85PS really the max Tata will produce from this engine? What will prevent it from running this engine in various states of tuning with higher-lower power? I expect multiple states of tune later if not today.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 20th January 2014 at 17:14.
Old 20th January 2014, 17:09   #13
Team-BHP Support

The outputs do seem a bit low, but then again I think they were trying to keep it reliable. The torque seems well spread out. Also its got a water cooled turbo, so no real need to idle the engine.
Akshay1234 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 17:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

First things first, I am extremely happy that Tata is putting up a fight and not lying down and dying like Premier or Hindustan Motors. This is not a giant leap for Tata motors, I see it more like a small step in the right direction. Just competing with the Koreans and Japanese who are masters of small petrols is applaudable, hope Tata get everything right this time. I think they went for the specs based on low cost of production and longevity, i.e ability to match Bharat V, VII etc pollution norms
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 17:12   #15
BHPian

I am quite surprised to read every one's comments here. We might be a miniscule power hungry community but remember that one of the most important thing that has made Maruti what it is today is Mileage.
By capping an engine currently to 85 BHP, Tata's is ensuring that Mileage gets the maximum priority. Nothing wrong with that especially considering that cost of fuels are going Northwards all times.
Hazarding a guess here, but like the Nissan engine cant this one also be present in different sets of tune? If thats the case then there is a high possibility that they might tune the same engine to 100 BHP also.
Maverick1977 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks