Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 17:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spotted : Tata Nano Plus

http://www.rushlane.com/tata-nano-pl...-12103044.html

Quote:
Nano Twist is already launch, the second, Nano Plus with 1 liter 3 cylinder petrol engine, is the one which was recently spotted on the Pune-Kolhapur stretch of NH4. The third of the lot, Nano diesel launch has been post-poned, as revealed by a senior Tata Motors executive at the launch of Nano Twist earlier this month.
Quote:
Tata Nano Plus is a petrol variant offered in the Nano range and will come in with a 3 cylinder 1 liter engine. The images you see here, are of the same new car. The sound of it’s engine is completely different as to what you hear of the current Nano with 2 cylinder petrol engine. The new Nano Plus’ engine is smoother and it accelerates much faster. It was easily managing 100 kmph on the highway.
Expected improvements include disc brakes, bucket seats and better air conditioning while a new dashboard and instrument cluster have also been added in a bid to make the variant more attractive to buyers. Exteriors sport new LED headlamps and fog lamps while the bonnet is in a brand new design. Though these changes cannot be seen in the spy shots here, it will be incorporated in the final production variant, which is expected to make way at the 2014 Delhi Auto Expo next month.
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted : Tata Nano Plus-tatananopluswith1.0lpetrolenginespyshots1.jpg  

Nilesh5417 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 19:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spotted : Tata Nano Plus

That grille in front looks too awkward to be cosmetic. I wonder what's sitting behind it
Old 20th January 2014, 19:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sounds promising - 1 liter 3 cylinder petrol engine, disc brakes, bucket seats and better air conditioning - will they plonk in the automatic transmission too in this one?
This one's definitely slotted as a 2nd car for the city, for those who already have a mile muncher for the highways!

Last edited by blackasta : 20th January 2014 at 19:29.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 22:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
That grille in front looks too awkward to be cosmetic. I wonder what's sitting behind it
I had read somewhere that this car will most likely have the engine in the front. This car has a complete rear covered while on trial run. This complete cover indicates this rumour. I do recall seeing the rear side pictures of the car on a different forum.
Old 20th January 2014, 22:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Sounds promising - 1 liter 3 cylinder petrol engine, disc brakes, bucket seats and better air conditioning - will they plonk in the automatic transmission too in this one?
This one's definitely slotted as a 2nd car for the city, for those who already have a mile muncher for the highways!
I think they should plonk an AT box considering that there was news of a CVT Nano being launched in some South East Asian country, Indonesia I think, very recently! But then Tata has no AT vehicle in India, unless you count their buses running in Delhi, so this might be too much to expect right now. Yet one may hope and pray.
Old 20th January 2014, 22:46   #6
BHPian

I think they should do away with the 'Nano' name for other higher models, if they launch any. People still say 1 lakh rupee car when they see the nano. The Twist is a bit short of the 3 lakh rupee mark.
A 1 liter 3 cylinder version with a slightly longer wheelbase, openable hatch can eat into the sales of the Wagon-R if priced rightly. And not to forget: RELIABILITY.
100kmph is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 23:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
I had read somewhere that this car will most likely have the engine in the front. This car has a complete rear covered while on trial run. This complete cover indicates this rumour. I do recall seeing the rear side pictures of the car on a different forum.
you're right. Even in the rushlane photos, the rear seems to be totally blocked off. Diversion, or Front engine?

if an FF layout was possible, I wonder why they developed the RR (cost?)
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 23:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

The engine remains at the back. The Nano is engineered to have its engine at the back and Tata isn't going to invest into re engineering the Nano for a FWD layout, besides there isn't any big issue about the engine being at the rear.

The grill is a new smiley mesh grill and it looks quite nice. I have seen these cars at the Tata plant. A similar smiley mesh grill is on the rear bumper too. This car will also have the openable hatch.
fiat_tarun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 13:22   #9
BHPian

Nano seems to be going from strength to strength. This engine makes sense. I'd say makes more sense for export than the original Nano. With all that talk of the CVT in the works, a 1 litre Nano with CVT has the makings of a perfect city car for the international markets.
Old 21st January 2014, 13:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
you're right. Even in the rushlane photos, the rear seems to be totally blocked off. Diversion, or Front engine?

if an FF layout was possible, I wonder why they developed the RR (cost?)
Well, Tata never had any kind of bigger engine in mind at the time it was designed and launched. Having later realized it isn't selling in large numbers, here we are, with all kinds of cosmetic/powertrain (you name it) upgrades to make it find more homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The engine remains at the back. The Nano is engineered to have its engine at the back and Tata isn't going to invest into re engineering the Nano for a FWD layout, besides there isn't any big issue about the engine being at the rear.
Pretty much the same thing everybody is wondering! How are you so sure it is still rear-engined?
Old 21st January 2014, 13:40   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Nano with larger petrol engine spotted. Tata Motors is testing an 800 cc petrol engined Nano in and around Pune

Quote:
The new engine uses a triple cylinder layout and is rear-mounted as is the case with the current, twin cylinder 623 cc petrol engine. The 800 cc triple cylinder engine promises better performance and more importantly, an exhaust note that is more akin to the ones that the Maruti Alto 800 and the Hyundai Eon feature.
http://www.cartoq.com/tata-nano-with...ngine-spotted/

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st January 2014 at 13:41.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 14:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Pretty much the same thing everybody is wondering! How are you so sure it is still rear-engined?
Well, Like I said I have seen the vehicles at the TML plant - diesel included and have worked with a lot of TML engineers.

Look at the pictures in the article closely, you can see the plastic cladding, etc under the rear bumper covering the engine.

This facelift of the Nano has actually been captured undisguised many times. See below. This design was believed to be for the Diesel Nano till now.

Spotted : Tata Nano Plus-2015tatananodieselpics1.jpg

Spotted : Tata Nano Plus-2014tatananodieselspiedrear.jpg

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 21st January 2014 at 14:40.
fiat_tarun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 15:42   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

There is no way the Nano is going to be fully re-engineered to hold an engine at the front. Rear placement is key to its packaging & low cost, and that's where any future engines will be located. If Tata gives the car a front grill, it's purpose will be purely cosmetic (to make the Nano more conventional).

The current Nano is adequately peppy up to 80 kph. If & when there is a bigger engine coming, it'll be a 3-cylinder 0.8 liter (like the Alto, Nano, Eon etc.). Cheaper to build, lighter and more fuel efficient as well. For its intended purpose, the Nano doesn't need a 1 liter motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
A 1 liter 3 cylinder version with a slightly longer wheelbase
The Nano is an incredibly spacious car. Why do you see the need for a longer wheelbase? Cabin room is the least of the car's current problems.

Last edited by GTO : 21st January 2014 at 15:45.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 17:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Nano Plus is an attempt by Tata to tap the mainstream entry level car market. Some of the key changes that may make this possible are -

1. Pseudo grille in the front to give that conventional car look
2. 3 cylinder engine (800/ 1litre) to give it that extra power comparable to the Eon and Alto 800
3. Conventional engine sound associated with it to make it more acceptable- yes this is a major factor nagging the current Nanos
4. Openable hatch that is clearly seen in some of the pictures posted here again to get it on par with others

However it would be good if they differentiate it by the current Nano by branding it very differently from these, may be a complete name change etc. Remember how the Manza and Vista were pulled down by the Indica prefix which is associated even now.

The other question is how will it fare in terms of the pricing since the addition of a more powerful motor will bring it on par with the Eon and Alto800 thus cancelling any advantage of cheaper pricing and if so it would be interesting to see if customers will really for the Nano or stick to the other two offerings.

Last edited by girishglg : 21st January 2014 at 17:26.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 18:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

The Nano Twist is between 2.7 and 2.8 lacs on road in Pune. There are no discounts on it (since it has been just launched). However in a few months, expect around 10-15K discount.

I am wondering what would be the on-road price of Nano Plus. Will this cross the psychological 3 lac barrier?
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks