Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:26   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Datsun releases sketch of its Maruti Alto Rival

Nissan’s low cost car brand Datsun has released a sketch of the i2 hatchback concept.

Quote:
Datsun is today revealing a sketch of the forthcoming new Datsun concept car, which will have its world premiere at Delhi Auto Expo 2014, India (February 5 – 11, 2014).

The new concept will be unveiled at Datsun’s press conference on February 5th in Hall 12 at India Expo Mart, Greater Noida Delhi NCR.
Datsun releases sketch of its Maruti Alto Rival-datsun-concept-car-low-res.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 22nd January 2014 at 17:15. Reason: Updating with info from the press release
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 14:23   #2
gemi_kk

re: Datsun releases sketch of its Maruti Alto Rival

First of all, they haven't launched Datsun GO.
So i believe, Datsun's products may/may not be accepted by indians. They are not sure whether the product will be good or not (without any flaws). They do not know, what customers expect from their products.

And now, they come up with another **concept** cheaper car, which is cheaper than GO, and that too, with out having any level of (real time) expertise in this segment.

It Sounds good that some one is really interested to venture into this ultra cheap car segment. I really hope that they will have to scrap this cheap project. Nano was a failure. What if, What if, this Go's sister becomes a Hit. We wont have any space on roads. :(
  (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 14:41   #3
BANNED

I'm not really sure about the positioning of this car.

Micra takes on the Grand i10 and the Ritz and the likes.
Micra Active takes on the WagonR and Estilo and the likes
Datsun Go takes on the Alto 800 and the likes.

So where does this fit in?
HyperRetard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 14:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post

GO is pitted against the Eon and Alto K10.
I2 is positioned against Alto 800 primarily, Nano secondary.
Kaumad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 15:09   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
GO is pitted against the Eon and Alto K10.
I2 is positioned against Alto 800 primarily, Nano secondary.

But isnt the difference between the K10 and the 800 quite negligible?
HyperRetard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 15:34   #6
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Datsun releases sketch Maruti Alto 800 Rival

The car looks cool! At least in the sketch, that is. Unlike the Datsun Go, which is based on the Nissan Micra platform, this seems to be built on either a brand new platform, or a modified JDM kei-car platform. The latter is less likely.

Renault-Nissan seem to be quite serious about their intentions for the Indian market with Datsun, and they should be appreciated for it. If (and it's still a big IF) Datsun manage to capture the fancy of entry-level car buyers, then the resurrected brand can leap ahead of both Renault and Nissan on the monthly sales charts, and lead the Franco-Japanese Alliance's efforts in India. The Datsun Go and Go+ have to turn out to be at least moderate successes before the entry of the i2 and it's Renault cousin, though.

The i2 (especially in this shade of green) reminds one of the extrovert styling of the Chevrolet Beat. It may be small, but it's surely stylish like the Eon. This would appeal to younger buyers, though older buyers may prefer more conservative lines. Datsun are positioning themselves as a brand that appeals to young, first time car buyers, so this is line with that target.

Datsun must concentrate on the interiors and fit-and-finish levels, though. The Eon gives one the nice feeling of getting more than what one paid for, due to the well made interiors unseen on a car in that price range. Cost-cutting is okay as long as it's not glaringly obvious, visible or felt. Things like an open glovebox are a no-no.

I wonder what engine will power the i2. I hope it's either a 0.8 lit. or a 1.0 lit. 3-pot downsized version of the Nissan Micra's engine. An 800cc version of the same engine (with one cylinder chopped of) must be avoided at all costs!

Edit: The platform is all new and called the CMF-A, according to ACI. This platform will underpin the smallest and most affordable cars built on the Alliance's new modular platform architecture.

Last edited by RSR : 22nd January 2014 at 15:55.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 14:36   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Datsun releases sketch Maruti Alto 800 Rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I wonder what engine will power the i2. I hope it's either a 0.8 lit. or a 1.0 lit. 3-pot downsized version of the Nissan Micra's engine. An 800cc version of the same engine (with one cylinder chopped of) must be avoided at all costs!
What Datsun needs to do is differentiate. If they do the same thing that Maruti & Hyundai have been doing, there's little to no chance of success. The semi-urban & rural markets - where a substantial chunk of 3 lakh buyers come from - shun unknown new brands.

The most obvious opportunity is a diesel engine. The 3 lakh arena is wide open for a cheap, diesel hatchback as everyone else runs a petrol. Datsun should realise a thing or two about USP by now; the only reason it's sister concern's Duster flew off showroom floors is its USP (monocoque SUV + diesel). On the other hand, the Micra, Pulse, Sunny, Scala etc. are all failures because they pretty much do what the competition is. Hardly a differentiator there.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:02   #8
BHPian

Re: Datsun releases sketch of its Maruti Alto Rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
I really hope that they will have to scrap this cheap project. Nano was a failure. What if, What if, this Go's sister becomes a Hit. We wont have any space on roads. :(
People said the same about the Nano, but you have to remember that car buyers would not be created with this kind of a product. The same people who could afford an Alto or Eon would opt for the i2 if it would be a compelling package.
Hopefully in the future we would have enough roads to drive cars in India
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post

I don't think the Go will be positioned to take on the Alto. The pricing of Nissan-Datsun cars will most likely overlap where the i2 might be positioned in the 2.5-3.5 lakh rupee range while the Go in the 3-4 lakh rupee range.

IMO, Nissan should look at the urban buyers first regarding the Datsun range of vehicles since it does not have major presence in the semi-urban and rural areas. Also, most of the buyers in rural areas are first-time buyers and hence risk-averse and that's where the Alto800 trumps all it's competitors.
In a city like Delhi the Alto800 is as common as a Merc, buyers in urban areas and metros will mostly see this class of car as a cheap city runabout or a frugal 2nd,3rd car.
Marauder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Firstly this i2 concept has the Datsun design language predominantly etched all over it especially the front which makes the differentiation between the Go and this one a little difficult given the close positioning that it might fit into. This issue is now being faced even by car makers such as Skoda with all their new launches looking similar from the front end such as the Octavia and Superb.

Secondly the entry level market is very fickle and conservative. A radical car like Nano bombed but a very ordinary contraption read Alto800 has taken off very well even though it looks hideous compared to its outgoing model the Alto.

This clearly shows that the brand has to be well entrenched in our market even before they attempt to get into the entry level space. Look at Eon which has stabilized only after some time throwing all their calculations haywire even though Hyundai is so deeply entrenched. Datsun (Nissan) should better get their homework right this time!

Last edited by girishglg : 23rd January 2014 at 16:59.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 17:14   #10
BHPian

An oil burner in the 3-5 Lakh segment will definitely go well provided they manage to provide a car which is niggle free and doesn't look like someone might be ashamed of owning one. NVH, mileage and peace of mind are majority factors in that segment and i feel we might have a good car in that segment if they go with a small 3 cylinder diesel like in the grand i10. However the recent price rise in diesel hasn't gone well with some amount of the general populace even voicing their displeasure. Petrol might be an option on many people's minds now. I think a slightly equipped car with safety features and a decent NVH might just make the cut.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 10:26   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Japanese car major Nissan has decided to drive in a sub-Alto car in India under the Datsun badge priced a little upwards of Rs 2 lakh which will also be shared by French alliance partner Renault.
The vehicle is being developed in partnership with Renault.

The car is being developed in India, it will be manufactured in India with nearly 100% local suppliers.
Nissan will badge the vehicle under the Datsun brand while Renault will work out its independent strategythe India-made car will also be sold in "surrounding markets" while there are plans to manufacture it in other markets too.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...o-car/37751864
Old 5th July 2014, 13:37   #12
BHPian

This may not get a market share. Its impossible to penetrate to Alto's fortress with a brand which is not know to masses. Alto's sale is mainly from first time car buyers and from tier II-III cities and rural areas. Its better for Nissan to rethink on this strategy.
Old 19th January 2015, 18:21   #13
Team-BHP Support

Datsun had planned to introduce its third product in 2017. However, now, the company has revealed that it could advance the launch of the car.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 07:36   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Datsun redi-GO Production version named as I2 - this car will ready to enter production line in India to be sold in 2017.

In pic- Renault's XBA
Datsun releases sketch of its Maruti Alto Rival-renaultxba.jpg

I2 is planned on the same platform as Renault XBA which will be launched in 2015.

Quote:
Datsun I2 will using the 800 cc engine with 50 hp output in manual and automatic transmission.
http://autonetmagz.net/datsun-redi-g...-engine/14237/
Old 15th April 2015, 16:00   #15
Team-BHP Support

Guillaume Sicard, President of Nissan India Operations, has stated that the Datsun will launch its third car in India in 2016.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks