Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2014, 03:22   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: The great Indian SUV void in the Rs. 15 lakh space

+1 to Girish.

Either guys are not giving enough at 15L range or they are playing the 20+ game. Case in point, why should Renault Koleos go 25+? (I know its a soft roader). But they have every reason to be to in 15-20 range. And so does products like Qashqai. I think that range is also a premium set where an Indian manufacture is struggling to provide a product to match the satisfaction levels of the customer.

My take from the international players: market definitely exists for a premium product line with sub-2L engine capacity along with a 4WD.

Honda Vezel 1.5, A Yeti 1.6, Qashqai 1.6, Renault Captur etc can be ideal for this range with a 4x4 at the top end of the spectrum.

Today this is the range of the D-Segments sedans. And I think this should also be the range for an SUV here. Its just that one manufacturer should see success and then herd mentality would follow. Renault had golden opportunity here when they did a face lifted Koleos. That would have forced Yeti and Quashqai (if launched) to follow the trend.
Old 5th February 2014, 05:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

I think there is mind-barrier post 12 lakh range of cars/SUVs for many purchasers, even having money to buy car more than 12 lakhs. This is quite evident that not much higher end of Scorpio, XUV, Safari, Innova(not SUV though) sold in the market. To just fit the bill people are ready to compromise on Safety Security aspects of car.

I am not sure that given that above trend, the manufacturer will get volume in 15 Lakh range. We have mindset that, If I have 15 lakh to spend on car, I should get everything possible that a car can provide. Imagine, when spending 15 Lakh and you get a basic or next to basic version of SUV.

So, Ideally if a SUV with all bells and whistles sells for 15 lakh, the basic version should start around 10 - 12 lakhs. Manufacturers fill the void with range of trims offered on same car. We see this in case of Mahindra & Tata.

If any other manufacturer wants to launch a product in this segment, then they have to fiercely fight with mighty Scorpio, which is settled down with holy number of ~4000 units per month and no growth in this segment reported past many years. Even if, the new manufacturer launches their product in this segment, they will not be able to sell max ~1000 units per month (best case). So, why new manufacturer will take headache for just 1000 units per month with so much of investments. They will concentrate on volume segment (hatchbacks) viable from their business point of view.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 07:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
One product that would perfectly fit the bill is Honda Vezel. But will Honda bring this to India?
I remember reading somewhere that Honda has already ruled out launch of Honda Vezel in India in near future.

However, I have been told by an insider that Toyota is seriously thinking of launching a vehicle in this price bracket.

The company is all set to announce major reshuffle after the auto expo 2014 and I have been given to understand that their current Head Mr. Sandeep Singh is being transferred to Thailand and a new head who is a Japanese is set to take charge from him.

They do realise, that they need some more products now, else they will see a sudden loss of consumer interest in their existing range which sells primarily because of product quality and reliability and not features.
Old 5th February 2014, 11:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

If the Nissan Terrano (Duster) were to bring out an AWD AT option with some additional safety features, would that be the kind of the thing that could fill the void? Would there be significant numbers for this?
Old 5th February 2014, 11:44   #20
BHPian

Maruti had a good product with the 5 seater GV which ticked almost all the right boxes for a 14-15L SUV. They just had to manufacture it here and give it a diesel!! If the largest car manufacturer isn't ready to take even a small amount of risk, what can we expect from others!!
Old 5th February 2014, 11:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Ford has several trucks but they are not bothered to bring them to INDIA.
India continues to be a non priority market for INDIA, while the likes of Hyundai and Renault are making the most of it.

Ford Esacpe, Edge, Kuga etc.

If a good amount of localization is acheived they can be priced at 18- 20 L
Old 5th February 2014, 11:47   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Maruti had a good product with the 5 seater GV which ticked almost all the right boxes for a 14-15L SUV. They just had to manufacture it here and give it a diesel!! If the largest car manufacturer isn't ready to take even a small amount of risk, what can we expect from others!!
And that I they plan to do! Thats the S-Cross. They have announced at Auto-Expo that it would be launched in India, priced higher than Duster and lower than GV and powered by an 1.6 MJD. Now all it remains to be seen is how well put and well finished the product turns out to be.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 11:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Why only Ford. GM also have plenty of experience selling 4x4 trucks in the amercian market.
Now, not saying that those can be sold at this range in India, but if they were serious about India, they would have thought about introducing the range - initially as CKD , and then localizing it, reshaping it to suit indian tastes, preferences and budget.
Old 5th February 2014, 11:55   #24
BHPian

I think the best candidates for the 15L bracket is the 4x4 and auto versions of the current 10L crossovers.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 12:16   #25
BHPian

Jeep and LR Defender are great candidates to use the vacant 15-20L space and bring in a proper 4 X 4. But this would depend the duty structure for CKDs. Unless the govt. decides to rationalize this, there really would be a dearth of manufacturers in this space.
Old 5th February 2014, 12:30   #26
Team-BHP Support

In my opinion 15-20L range is just not about 4x4. The main expectation is a well finished and a premium product. A 4x4 top end Duster at 17L though may sell, but it would be quite low. Comparatively a premium Honda Vezel would make a huge case for itself even if its a 4x2.
Old 5th February 2014, 13:27   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
And that I they plan to do! Thats the S-Cross. They have announced at Auto-Expo that it would be launched in India, priced higher than Duster and lower than GV and powered by an 1.6 MJD. Now all it remains to be seen is how well put and well finished the product turns out to be.
In Europe, it goes against the likes of the Qashqai and the Yeti. A pricing around 15 lakhs is realistic for its segment, and it will be wonderful if Suzuki can do that. It can create the same buzz (or more) created by Ecosport in the segment below.
Old 5th February 2014, 15:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
I think the best candidates for the 15L bracket is the 4x4 and auto versions of the current 10L crossovers.
Disagree. I feel this price bracket needs a new product and not just top spec versions of the sub 10 Lakh cars, this is just product extension. This category needs a brand new product with new positioning so as to create or ignite the latent demand.
Old 5th February 2014, 15:34   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyag79 View Post
Disagree. I feel this price bracket needs a new product and not just top spec versions of the sub 10 Lakh cars, this is just product extension. This category needs a brand new product with new positioning so as to create or ignite the latent demand.
Exactly.
Duster is 10L or sub 10L vehicle.
So adding options like
4x4 +2L
Air freshner + 50,000
Mobile phone charger + 50000
Seat cover + 1L
Extra jack + 1L
May push price to 15L, but its not the vehicle for that.
You need something which is bigger and starts base 14L or something for 2WD and around 15.5-16 Ex showroom for 4WD
Something directly slotted little above XUV/Storme but an international vehicle like Escape/Kuga from Ford, or Toyota smaller SUVs
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 16:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Wondering if the vehicle construction type figures in this Void...

I would, much rather, pin my hopes on a Solidly built, chassis based, 4wd SUV, with Low Range, good refinement, low NVH and a few creature comforts, at an on-road price of between 15-20 lacs.
Something that is acceptable enough for long distance touring and also for reasonable off-roading. Basically, a better-than-Safari type of vehicle, and not a better Monocoque!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks