Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2014, 15:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota @ Auto Expo 2014

This is lame attempt even by Toyota standards, the new corolla looks dreadful on the inside and the Etios cross is evidence that cool isn't a Toyota thing. High time the vios was sold here and the cut rate taxi axxed.
Old 7th February 2014, 15:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

The Corolla Altis looks like a mini Camry! I liked it all the bit, inside, outside and everything. The Etios cross is another car that I liked very much at their stall. The landcruiser cars should also be now refreshed, I feel. Everything else, is well; as before - plain and jane!
Old 7th February 2014, 15:25   #18
Team-BHP Support

The omission of the rear AC vents on the new Corolla is a huge HUGE letdown! When manufacturers such as Hyundai is providing one on a measly hatchback (Grand i10), I wonder why Toyota couldn't. Not a deal-breaker but a prospective owner who would be chauffeur driven would prefer one for the rear seat.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 15:49   #19
BHPian

Etios Cross: What are the T folks thinking? You got to be kidding- to hammer some plastic cladding and sell a hatch as a cross! Toyota is facing a huge challenge in selling the liva n etios and yet they do not learn from it. People are spoilt with choices these days and the age old "T" factor is not going to help them fare well in the market. I sincerely hope they do not roll the Etios Cross into production and waste money.
Old 7th February 2014, 16:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Why would they not want to sell the Toyota Hilux in India? Is it that they feel Indians do not deserve a pick-up?
Corolla looks better from the exterior but felt that the interiors are a bit of let of down. AC missing for the second row when they know especially that these cars are chauffeur driven might be a costly miss.
Old 7th February 2014, 17:12   #21
Team-BHP Support

When I saw the Altis pic, you know what I thought. Wow. Toyota has really upgraded the Etios.
But then I realized its Altis/Corolla and not the Etios.
Improved looks or not, this looks like a mod job somebody will do on the Etios.
Toyota has started to scream boring like no one else. I guess they need to change their lines. Do something like a re-invention similar to what Hyundai did with Fluidic.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 17:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wonder why they did not showcase plans for their bread and butter Innova, or the higher end Fortuner.
It is disappointing that Toyota chose to focus on the Liva and its spin-offs more than what it is known for in the Indian market.
Old 7th February 2014, 18:22   #23
BHPian

I'm really disappointed with Toyota for not showcasing the RAV4 which would have been the ideal display/launch at this expo. When most other companies are able to gauge the change in Indian automotive sector and planning to launch crossovers and pretty good ones at that, what is stopping Toyota from doing so? Does Toyota think that Indian junta is so stupid to buy a badly modified car like Etios Cross??

C'mon Toyota, how long will you sustain yourself on the sales of boring products Innova?
Old 7th February 2014, 18:50   #24
BHPian

The Toyota Corolla Altis is a massive dissapointment! Being an existing Altis owner, I was actually looking forwards to this one, always loved that car for its sheer understated-ness, and the level of comfort it offered (albiet being very boring and not particularly a brilliant performer). I genuinely believe this to be one of the most comfortable cars my family has ever owned. The seats are brilliant and the ride is nice and soft (read: very comfortable) but not hyundai-ishly floaty at expressway speeds.

Firstly, the styling is contradictory to the out-going model, I see toyota is trying really hard to break the monotony or current image of this car (dull, but good for your piles). This may be a good thing and the design language is although nice, but robs it of that elengance. The transition from Corolla to Altis made it diminish and now with this one its gone lower still, more sporty. But why!? The corolla never had any sporty credentials why that pursuit now?

That interior! Its dreadful! the outgoing models interior in front of this is miles ahead! what were they thinking of? Carbon fibre really? on a Toyota Corolla! That clock looks like it came from one of those old rovers! The steering wheel looks ugly, Aircon vents are a mess, no rear A/C vents, almost all black interior instead of beige? Its absolutely rubbish that interior, I don't know the last time a car interior that really whined me up, in this segment.

What a dissapointment, and to think of it this car will compete with the new Skoda Octavia! Skoda's got it all perfectly right this time around and Toyota has gotten it all wrong! IMO. Never imagined I'd say that about Toyota and its ability to make a luxury car!

Regards

Last edited by n:CorE : 7th February 2014 at 18:52.
n:CorE is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 19:43   #25
BHPian

Iam floored by the Altis. Beautiful in all means and very neat.
Looks like the sharp edges are the pick of the season they started of with Honda City and now on Toyota Altis and may be many more to follow.

Excellent pics thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Pdma.
Old 7th February 2014, 22:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

What have they done to Altis? The bumpers look boxy at the corners. I am a big fan of the present generation Altis which has clean lines inside and out. It looks very elegant especially when viewed from the front. The dashboard! Just compare it with the current gen dashboard which has a classy simple design. I'm unable to find anything sporty in this new car.
Old 8th February 2014, 00:19   #27
Team-BHP Support

The sporty theme of the dash comes from the GT86. Take a look at the GT86 dash:

Toyota @ Auto Expo 2014-toyota_86_zn6_ser1_06.jpg

A luxury car with sporty dash obviously does not gel well. I must say the designed looks bad in the photos but quality was top notch typical of Toyota. Dash and door pads had soft touch plastics et al.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 03:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Finally the Corolla looks exciting. If you look closely the side view of the rear bumper looks very similar to the Sunny!
This is a new style I have observed on some recently launched cars. Instead of the curved edges of a bumper, a bold crease separates one side of the bumper from the other. I guess this was started by the Sunny as you mentioned and then the Eon followed. The New Honda City too has it.

Personally, I don't like this design.

Last edited by captain.torque : 8th February 2014 at 03:35.
Old 8th February 2014, 07:37   #29
BHPian

I suspect while we bash the Etios Cross here, many more will actually go & buy the thing if its cleverly priced around 7.5 lakhs.

Assuming it has a sump guard, a reliable cross/hatch is an interesting option - Polo Cross was a flop though.
Old 8th February 2014, 09:22   #30
BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful coverage. The new Corolla Altis looked really great from outside. As Vid mentioned, my thought was also like "Finally, a great looking car from the Toyota for India". But lost the whole feel when I saw the interior. Don't know how its going to appeal for the "Young". May be I am out of the "Young" generation.
Etios Cross also fails to impress. All that heavy cladding doesn't match the car. Still, if they price it correctly, it can find some market in India.

Most Viewed