Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2014, 10:17   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra @ Auto Expo 2014

Although there isn't much to blow everyone out, I am personally thrilled with three things in this display (yeah, becoming Mahindra Fanboy seems like!) -
  1. The Mahindra future is sure electrifying. The XUV hybrid, worlds first diesel manual hybrid is good to look out for soon
  2. The school van with Safety and convenience facilities like live video feed, recording, cages, belts etc, parents like me would have less to worry about their children's commute to and from school!
  3. The Mahindra merchandise with its decent pricing, makes me feel more sad on why i missed this Auto Expo :(

Nonetheless, good show. Looking forward to that hybrid XUV on sale in india!
Old 7th February 2014, 13:32   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Exactly my thoughts, what a lost opportunity to display the new scorpio. Would love to know more about the modified XUV ? A remap from Red Rooster cannot give a bump of 55 BHP , please let us know the details on modified internals ?
Sorry to disappoint. Although I have seen these XUV 5OOs being modified at Red Rooster, I didn't really check the modifications going in! Was at RRP to get my car dyno'ed and was too excited to check other cars around.

And as if that excitement was not enough- there were two Evo Xs at the store. You can imagine the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I disagree. Hybrid XUV would be great if the claim of 18% more efficiency is true. Also e-Verito and automatic Quanto is something that customers will immediately benefit from. I am also looking forward to Scorpio facelift as my Scorp Automatic has completed 4 years and I might end up with replacing it with another Scorp Automatic as there is no other Auto option in 15L bracket. That said, just because they didn't show what I was looking for, doesn't mean that there is nothing to look forward to. I am very impressed with the leadership Mahindra is showing in electric vehicles.
1. Selling 300 units per month as compared to 3500 Scorpios', 2500 XUV 5OOs- I would say the Quanto itself is not relevant to the market now- forget being something the market eagerly looks forward to! Assuming 10% automatic sales- that's some 30 cars pan India per month. Heck, even Thar sells twice as much as Quanto!!!

2. Hybrid XUV looks good on paper. Agreed. Now take pricing into consideration. Taking 10 kmpl city FE for XUV 5OO- 18% FE would give you approx 12 kmpl. Assuming 2 lakhs price difference between normal and hybrid version- IMO it's nothing to look forward to, atleast in the immediate future.

3. That said I am happy that Mahindra is experimenting with electric technology. But, when we come back for the Auto Expo 2016 thread- these concepts (Halo electric car, Verito electric) will still be just that- concepts!

4. There is an all new Scorpio being developed. Scorpio facelift was supposed to be a stop-gap arrangement till the all new platform is ready. Makes it all the more important for it to gather as much attention as possible- and they missed out on it. I am not bashing Mahindra or their products, just pointing out that the show was disappointing.
Old 7th February 2014, 14:21   #18

Kudos to Mahindra for the alternative fuel technologies displayed.

I pray that Mahindra are successful in their Formula-E venture. This will be good for the Indian automobile industry and yes the environment!

I am not happy with what Mahindra displayed as part of their design capabilities! The designs look restrained and not free flowing as they ought to have.

Here is the link to a college project collaboration between Mahindra and Istituto Europeo di Design. The difference is evident in the pictures!!!
Old 7th February 2014, 14:25   #19
BHPian

I was hoping that they may give a sneak preview/show plans for Automatic on Mahindra XUV. I'm sure there will be lot of people ready to pay premium and get XUV if they launch in Automatic.

From what I've heard, it is challenging/expensive to make good diesel AT.
Old 7th February 2014, 15:19   #20
BHPian

Really good to see Mahindra continue on the path for hybrid vehicles. Hybrids are available abroad, so i'm surprised why its not yet caught on for Indian Manufacturers.

With Diesel prices going up, offering a Hybrid with the associated increase in FE will be an attractive option for our mileage conscious buyers. Plus there'll be lower emissions!
Old 7th February 2014, 15:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

What is interesting to note is that Mahindra are clearly leaning toward EV/Hybrid technologies. If only GOI had the vision to frame and implement an EV policy and build the infrastructure needed for it. If wishes were horses...

The Halo concept is quite interesting. Looks-wise, it reminds me of a Miata, when viewed from the front and a strange juxtaposition of a Porsche Cayman and a Jaguar C-X16 concept from the rear.

The Bolero Stinger looks downright tacky and is in competition with the modded Tata Sumo for the least-appealing-vehicle awards.

Mahindra should have used the Expo to really showcase the future of SsangYong by bringing the Korando and the racy looking Siv-1 concept to the show instead of the dour Rodius! The Liv-1 concept looks pretty promising though - a true blue SUV in a world of tame crossovers.

Last edited by MaserQ : 7th February 2014 at 15:49.
Old 7th February 2014, 15:46   #22
BHPian

With the amount of test mules being spotted all over the country, a lot of people were expecting to see the Scorpio W105. Well, it hasn't happened. Maybe someone can shed more light on this. I for one hope that this long wait will result in a more comprehensive refresh (140bhp?)
Old 7th February 2014, 15:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BUT - As a customer, there is nothing really in there to look forward to!
As far as I recollect, Mahindra has already publicly stated that they wouldn't launch any new vehicles till 2015.
Old 7th February 2014, 16:25   #24
BHPian

Am I missing Scorpio here? I have gone through the pictures twice but no where I have seen a Scorpio. I dont understand why Mahindra has not utilized this oppretunity to showcase the next gen Scorpio.

Thanks,
Old 7th February 2014, 17:10   #25
Team-BHP Support

Wow. No new scorpio!
The Halo seems like Mahindra's answer to Tesla.
I guess the govt needs to give some sops if electric cars have to pick up in India!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 09:07   #26
SDP
Team-BHP Support

The rally-spec XUV is droolworthy. The matte orange paint job is also nice on another one. Reminded me of the yellow one showcased by M&M some time back in a similar event.

The Quanto-AT, the Hybrid-XUV and the Verito Electric/AT would keep M&M in the news and in the minds of the customer till they come up with a completely new car in 2015 or later. BTW, what happened to the all new Scorp and the mini-SUV? A lost opportunity to create the buzz.

The Halo has a classic (read dated) design, but is still a fairly good looker. The touchscreen console looks like an afterthought and seems like somebody pasted an iPad on the dash at the last moment. I dont think the car would ever see production.

The Liv-1 is yummy. Rexton still looks boring. The Rodius might interest really large families (which are getting rarer, except in Hindi movies.. the Aloknath variety).

The Dune-Bug is promising and I sincerely wish that M&M gives the new-age wannabe-offroaders a "jeep" that doesn't look like a few decades old (read THAR)

The merchandise is a nice touch and fairly priced. Is there a way to get my hands on some of the branded merchandise in Mumbai?
Old 8th February 2014, 15:09   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there any concrete plan from Mahindra for launching Halo? Though it will be the logical step forward for Mahindra - Reva combination I doubt if this will be feasible in India with current market demand and production cost.

Also, looks like Halo's meter console is actually an android tablet inserted behind the dash board.
Soft keys of android OS are visible in this pic : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...xpo-2014-9.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 21:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

nice stall from Mahindra. The automatic Quanto is good, any idea when its going to be launched?

Also, the Automatic Electric Verito (Logan I guess then) was present in 2012 Auto Expo as well. Seems they haven't moved on that project since.

So they are trying to copy Prius technology to XUV? Well good, atleast they are trying some good things. Hope, they will be able to do justice.
Old 9th February 2014, 07:23   #29
Team-BHP Support

What is with the engine in the Rexton? Would it be cheaper?

And no new products from Ssangyong?
Old 9th February 2014, 15:02   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice camaraderie at the Mahindra pavilion. Thanks to Vid6639 for sharing:

Mahindra @ Auto Expo 2014-dsc00843.jpg

Mahindra @ Auto Expo 2014-dsc00845.jpg
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks