Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2014, 17:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda @ Auto Expo 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic View Post
Maybe it's the pictures, but the mobilio looks only slightly taller than the amaze and much less than ertiga or innova. Really, it looks more like an estate with a third row, rather than an mpv. This could just make it's very own segment if marketed well and priced appropriately.
You are very right. The Mobilio launched in Indonesia measures at 1610mm in height against the Indian Ertiga's 1685mm. It means the Mobilio sits 75mm lower than the Ertiga. This could be the reason why the Mobilio is being marketed at a low (slung)-MPV. But make no mistake, the less height (or probably less head room) is more than compensated by the increased length. The Mobilio's length @ 4390mm compared to Ertiga's 4265mm is 125mm more, which results in better useful boot space. That could be one of the reason why Rehaan has mentioned that it feels roomier than the Ertiga, despite being lesser in height.

Refer the below extract from the Mobilio Press Release 25-Sep-13.

Front View:
The Mobilio’s front design expresses the sleek and wide stance of this 7-seat Low-MPV. Large front bumper flares highlight the Mobilio’s sporty premium look and emphasize its strength.

Side View:
With its front and rear connected by a character line and the highlight of a lightning-bolt belt line that improves visibility from all the rows (front, side, rear), where every row has glass. This design makes Honda Mobilio different from the other boxy’s MPV.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 9th February 2014 at 17:29.
AutoIndian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 17:37   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
If they come up with the 1.6L, then it will be an icing on the cake

My other wishful thinking, Honda gives a rear wheel drive to the Mobilio as it being a 7 seater the rear is likely to get overloaded.
It cannot come with a 1.6L engine as that engine is not for Indian market. The 1.5L i-DTEC engine is specially designed for India. And they cannot give a higher state of tune than the City cause the City is the more premium product.

RWD is also not possible as it's based on the Brio platform which was never designed for RWD.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 17:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

The height of the Mobilio doesn't warrant the MPV tag. Moreover, it's the narrowest MPV out there with a meagre 1680 mm width. Compared to the Innova, I thought the Ertiga was slightly narrow but the Mobilio with this width cannot sit 3 abreast. It's a 6 seater at best and I have my apprehensions about an MPV that's really long and narrow with regard to stability. Kudos to Honda for the awesome boot space which is lacking in the Ertiga. The face of the Mobilio looks too "Brio" to me and that's disappointing in my opinion.
Old 9th February 2014, 18:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

The Honda Mobilio, at the length of 4390 mm, is more compact than the Honda City (4440 mm). Interesting. Of course, the style quotient of the City is better than the Mobilio, which is a bit plainer in comparison.

I was looking at the Honda City for my wife, I guess I will show her the Mobilio as well, after the launch at Bangalore. Promises to be good for her outings with her ladies & kids groups, on account of the 7 seats and huge shopping bag storage option in the boot !
Old 9th February 2014, 19:00   #20
BHPian

While Honda may have dropped 'Magic seats', from the following image it looks like Honda is planning to retain 'Front Seat Belt Height Adjuster'.

Honda @ Auto Expo 2014-honda-jazz-interiors.jpg

I believe Honda is working hard on localisation & cutting down on features to bring down the starting price to 5 lacs and go head on with Hyundai i20 which starts at 4.98 lacs. I think features like Magic seat, Rear AC vent and Touch screen AC control will be dropped so as not to cannibalize City sales.

I am hoping for a Aug-Sep launch instead of end of this year.
damager21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 19:04   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
The height of the Mobilio doesn't warrant the MPV tag. Moreover, it's the narrowest MPV out there with a meagre 1680 mm width. Compared to the Innova, I thought the Ertiga was slightly narrow but the Mobilio with this width cannot sit 3 abreast. It's a 6 seater at best and I have my apprehensions about an MPV that's really long and narrow with regard to stability.
Exterior width has nothing to do with interior width. My Ecosport is much much wider than the Figo or most hatchbacks in that segment yet the rear width is a tad lesser than the Figo.

Similarly, after sitting in the Mobilio, I can assure you it is much wider than the Ertiga and 3 abreast will not be a problem.

The Mobilio is long, narrow at the same time short not tall. I wouldn't worry too much about stability compared to the Xylo, Quanto and even Innova which have a bigger disadvantage of body on frame chasis.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 22:14   #22
BHPian

Mobilio is a very nice vehicle and will be able to craft its own position in the market. However, certain features like the integrated head rests in the front seats, no steering mounted audio controls are not to my liking.

Honda should have picked some design from the dashboard of Jazz and it would have done wonders to the car.

Another thing which breaks the design symmetry is the curve in the rear door. (Notice the picture).

I have not been able to figure out the rationale behind this design. Was it to break the straight line effect. I still feel that a straight line looks nicer and prettier.

Honda @ Auto Expo 2014-aimg_3101.jpg
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 10:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

1) Mobilio looks very promising and should do decent numbers. Hopefully it will poach sales from the Ertiga and not its sibling the City itself

2) The Jazz will be a "positioning" challenge. I think its a whole lot of "more car" than the i20 and expecting it to be priced on par with that could be a challenge for Honda. I would expect a moderate premium over the i20 should still be able to do the trick. I sincerely hope they retain the black theme but am quite sure the beige version is what will make it to India like they did after the initial batch of Jazz with the bluish seat fabric was changed to beige

3) The tail light design theme on the Jazz and the Mobilio seems to be inspired by the Volvo tail lights ( to me atleast )
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 11:30   #24
BHPian

The Mobilio, if priced well will sell in good numbers. The interior space seems good enough, even in the 3rd row. Being a Honda it'll be welcomed very well, if they could just position it well in the market. From the early images I'd seen, and it being based on the Brio platform I was expecting less from the Mobilio. But this seems a good contender!

New Jazz is awesome! even more so is the new NSX concept. But it's high time on the stands as concept. They're showing this for years now.
Old 10th February 2014, 11:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Honda for providing us the same cheap interiors in the Mobilio too. So their attitude is simple, you buy our any car, be it 5-6 L rupee Brio, 7-9 L rupee Amaze or 10-12 L rupee Mobilio, you will get exactly same cheap interiors only. You will feel at home in all 3 cars. Thanks Honda for treating us (India) as a third world country
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 11:43   #26
BHPian

Mobilio to me looks very promising.
With an auto-box, as well as I-DTEC options; that would surely be a hit.
Only sore point in otherwise a good product would be its dashboard. I hope they bring some "Jazz" in that dash. That alone can sway a buyer like me in favor or Ertiga. I am already sold over that car, and if its there with AMT; a killer combo for me.
Honda - are you listening?

Jazz - looks to be an improvement from the Gen1 product. And I completely agree with comments here on the magic seats. If removing the magic seats can reduce the pricing, looks a good option to me. I feel they should start this somewhere close to 5.8L and that would put this brilliant product to compete with i20. That would surely spice up a competition. Jazz was murdered just on pricepoint I felt in Gen1.
Old 10th February 2014, 11:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
This is indeed a pic of the Mobilio interiors and not that of the Brio/Amaze:
Attachment 1205170

Similarity in the Mobilio's cabin with the Brio/Amaze is definitely an aspect that could play against Honda:
Attachment 1205169
Single most disappointing point and a negative about the Mobilio. They should have somehow gotten to fit the City/Jazz's dashboard/IP unit into the Mobilio, considering the high price it will charge compared to Amaze/Brio.

Quote:
The interiors are similar to the new City but this particular variant had climate control and steering mounted buttons missing. To keep prices in check, Honda may be looking at cutting down on features:
Attachment 1205187

Steering wheel looks spartan without the buttons and 2 plastic covers. The horn pad should have extended till the edges instead:
Attachment 1205188

Start/Stop button present, Climate control absent. Head unit looked after market:
Attachment 1205189
Unfortunately, this news disappoints as well. A good looking exterior is a big draw, yes, but a user spends most time inside the vehicle and the interior compromises could have been kept at a minimum.

Is there a possibility the top-end variants of Jazz sport the same head unit/AV similar to the City and the steering comes with the audio control buttons? Basically, the City's dashboard in the top end Jazz.

Quote:
As a World Premiere, Honda unveiled the Honda Vision XS-1.
Looks beautiful. Any hints shared on this vehicle making it to India soon? High hopes, but could this be the Brio based compact SUV that Honda wants to release for India (instead of the Vezel)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
The Mobilio, if priced well will sell in good numbers. The interior space seems good enough, even in the 3rd row. Being a Honda it'll be welcomed very well, if they could just position it well in the market. From the early images I'd seen, and it being based on the Brio platform I was expecting less from the Mobilio. But this seems a good contender!
Yes, no doubt. Except for that staid dashboard, everything else with the Mobilio look good. Only it would have been far more safer with at least 6 airbags.
Old 10th February 2014, 12:08   #28
BHPian

The Dash of Mobilio looks like just out of a Base model Brio (EMT). No steering mounted control, No chrome rings around the AC vents. Quite Bland. The dash from City/Jazz would have done a better job here.
Old 10th February 2014, 12:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Another thing which breaks the design symmetry is the curve in the rear door. (Notice the picture).

I have not been able to figure out the rationale behind this design. Was it to break the straight line effect. I still feel that a straight line looks nicer and prettier.
Yes. It is to break straight line effect. See the image below. It will raise three concerns:
1. Higher window line leads to claustrophobic effect in second & third row.
2. Less glass & more steel raises costs.
3. If one redesigns line angle from front door then above two points can be controlled. But then Brio-Amaze's current front door will not be direct fit. This again raises cost.

Re-aligning window line at second row in MPV is accepted design practice in industry as well. Refer this to check out Ertiga concept & Opel Meriva.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda @ Auto Expo 2014-aimg_3101.jpg  

zalaps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 12:44   #30
BHPian

Loved the Mobilio & the Jazz. But a bit disappointed with the interior treatments . I hoped that the Jazz gets the same interiors as the new City. But just as Rehaan said, it might be the mid-variant on display.
In my opinion, if the Jazz has to go head on with the i20, the features like Climate control and steering mounted controls are a must. I hope that Honda does include these at least on the top end variants so it can compete with the sportz & asta trims on the i20 .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks