Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2014, 17:54   #76
BHPian

Re: Why not Indian names for Indian cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Chances are it will end up sounding cheesy, unless perfectly executed (Thar, Gurkha,
What makes something sound cheesy? Why cant Hayabusa sound cheesy? Why cant Zen, Omni, Santro, Punto, Nano sound cheesy? I bet it is only because these are foreign sounding and its a different matter altogether that we dont understand what any of these words mean. Would an Indian car named "masti" sound cheesy to foreigners?

On a different track, havent we always looked down upon people using hindi/local language slangs in conversation while we quite openly accept people using the F words and all sorts of english slangs?
Old 17th February 2014, 18:36   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interest View Post
What makes something sound cheesy? Why cant Hayabusa sound cheesy? Why cant Zen, Omni, Santro, Punto, Nano sound cheesy? I bet it is only because these are foreign sounding and its a different matter altogether that we dont understand what any of these words mean.
When Japanese brands had just started to make inroads into America, their names were generic, English-derived ones: Sharp, National, Panasonic, Sony. Toyoda became Toyota to appeal more to an English-speaking consumer base (ironically most Americans pronounce it Toyoda anyway ). The point is- you are unnecessarily getting emotional about what is essentially a business decision. Choosing a brand name is not easy- emotional connect with the consumer is a big part of it.

It's taken a fair amount of time to elapse before Japanese (and later Korean) products to shed their downmarket image. The Chinese continue to struggle with it: ever wonder why their products have names like Motevo and Caska (randomly selecting a category of products in this case ICE), which are not even remotely Chinese-sounding? Forget that even a brand name like Haagen-Dazs was chosen simply because it sounded Scandinavian and hence suitable for a premium ice-cream (for the record it was started by Jewish Americans in New York).

Maybe the day will come when "Indian-sounding" products will take the world by storm, but considering that we pretty much have missed the manufacturing bus on many counts, it seems unlikely (looking at how Chinese products evolve name-wise will be a more telling case). Till such a day comes, desi names will continue to be reserved for niches or exotica. It may be a tough fact to digest but it is what it is.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 19:18   #78
BHPian

Quote:
... Choosing a brand name is not easy- emotional connect with the consumer is a big part of it.

... Till such a day comes, desi names will continue to be reserved for niches or exotica.
I agree with what you are saying here. Choosing a name is a very emotional decision. It is like naming your new-born. But given the fact that the design teams are getting larger by the day, how do you bring in the emotional aspect of selecting the name? Very difficult. That is why many manufacturers are taking the easy way out by giving them just numbers and letters, like the XUV500, SX4, most of the models of the big three BMW, Mercedes and Audi and so on.

The names start sounding cheesy and corny the moment there is a disconnect between the actual product and the team naming the product. I mean, how else can you explain the Maruti Stingray?

When the emotional connect is there then you will find some beautiful names like the Ferarri Enzo, Pagani Huayra and our very own Rajputana Motorcycles naming their custom bikes, Bitoo, Laadoo, Rajmata, Light Foot, Nandi, Uno, Loco, Chingari, 8 Ball, Aghori and so on

Bottom-line is that language is just a medium of expressing the emotion of the vehicle and really does not matter what language is used.
Old 17th February 2014, 19:58   #79
Senior - BHPian

At the end of the day, while it's a matter of national pride and so on for some of us on the subject, it's a matter of sales and profit for the concerned companies and doubtless they will put their money where they feel is most prudent to do so. And methinks international 'sounding' names will continue to rule the roost for quite some time to come.
Old 17th February 2014, 19:58   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Yes. Exactly my thoughts.

OT: Had me thinking what Renault Duster will be called if named in Hindi.
Forget Hindi, even in English its no good. I wonder did they really pay the branding team to get this in return, frankly I would have penalized them for such a name
rattandip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 21:07   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattandip View Post
Forget Hindi, even in English its no good. I wonder did they really pay the branding team to get this in return, frankly I would have penalized them for such a name
Duster - a windstorm that lifts up clouds of dust or sand.

I think this is what they intended by naming it so.
Old 17th February 2014, 21:20   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Why is it, that car manufacturers name their cars in English (or some other language) only?
One simple question. Would you buy a car with such a name? I wouldn't.
Old 17th February 2014, 22:02   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Would Tata Aandhi or Toofan or whatever, sound as aspirational as Storme does, for their SUV type vehicle?
What about folk that drive 100 cc motorcycles that cannot even speak a work of English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathgowda View Post

Tata Bolt == Tata Minchu / Tata Baana

Tata Strome == Tata Birugaalli
I think you are missing the whole point. The logic behind choosing a name is to find one that sounds good and describes the product sufficiently. Nobody is looking for direct translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolman View Post
There are few possibilities that one might then want to consider:
  • which of the Indian languages to shortlist?
  • how many of those?
  • what kind of preference to be given to national languages over the other languages?
  • would that please certain states or regions more than the others?
  • how about vying for recognition nationally so that the maximum number of audience connect?
  • how about trying for recognition beyond the borders - going international?
To have a wide appeal nationally, it has to be either Hindi, Sanskrit or Urdu.

Having said that a word from any language would work as long as it sounds good. Nobody knew what Hayabusa or Diablo meant when it was launched but the curious one learnt it and liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohooper View Post
Guess many here on this thread are not aware that the Hyundai named the Verna after the Goan Village where Goa's first Hyundai dealer is located.
I doubt that. Seems like a coincidence...its most likely something neutral and meaningless like 'Caska'

Quote:
Maybe the day will come when "Indian-sounding" products will take the world by storm, but considering that we pretty much have missed the manufacturing bus on many counts, it seems unlikely (looking at how Chinese products evolve name-wise will be a more telling case). Till such a day comes, desi names will continue to be reserved for niches or exotica. It may be a tough fact to digest but it is what it is.
Sadly Americans are doing more to popularize Indian names like 'Avatar', 'Mantra' etc
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 08:30   #84
Senior - BHPian

I think it is best to leave cars with their international names. Local names bring unnecessary effort and overhead for the manufacturer. The savings (effort and money required for marketing, training, other supporting collateral like user manuals, service dockets etc) when you can call the same car with the same name across countries is not small.

Also, I don't think having an local name will be detrimental for any new launch. A car which can connect to the market needs and projects value will always sell, irrespective of the name. After all, no one said no to a Laura because Skoda named it so. The car made sense for buyers and they all bought it in North or down South. If a car is good enough, it will scale above the name and will sell. And a 'grand name' is not enough to a sell car either here in India. Simple as that!

Last edited by deetjohn : 18th February 2014 at 08:39. Reason: adding text.
Old 18th February 2014, 11:29   #85
BHPian

Quote:
When Japanese brands had just started to make inroads into America, their names were generic, English-derived ones:
The point is- you are unnecessarily getting emotional about what is essentially a business decision. Choosing a brand name is not easy- emotional connect with the consumer is a big part of it.

It's taken a fair amount of time to elapse before Japanese (and later Korean) products to shed their downmarket image.

Maybe the day will come when "Indian-sounding" products will take the world by storm
I understand what you are saying and agree with you on most counts. However, what you are mentioning are instances where companies have gone outside there home market (japanese cars going to US) and hence the names have been chosen/modified to suit local language. What we are discussing is why do cars that are sold in India dont have an Indian sounding name. I completely agree that it is business sense that drives the naming . A major factor that attracts customers to a product (as believed by the brand manager) would be a foreign sounding name (rather than an Indian sounding name) which again points to the bias against Indian names.

I bet if Renault were to rename 'Duster' as 'Molester' or VW Passat as VW Pervert, it would still sell with people in India who do not understand what these words mean just because to them these would be foreign sounding (and hence more sophisticated/ non cheesy) names.
interest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 11:59   #86
Team-BHP Support

VW has an Indian sounding car in their portfolio – the Sharan MPV (not sure of the name’s origin). And the car is quite popular in this part of the world.

And they have a smaller MPV called Touran, which can sound very odd in Kerala if read with a proper mallu slang
Old 18th February 2014, 12:06   #87
Senior - BHPian

First you need product that the consumer likes. Name would be secondary in my opinion. Come up with a sport car and name it Vyagra (beast) similar to Jag? People abroad will think its mis-spelt
Actually it might work
Old 18th February 2014, 14:53   #88
BHPian

Google is still pronounced as Googli by a lot of less-"English" educated populace. And Hutch was a popular joke of a name in Karnataka. And while Kundi means buttocks down South in India, it actually is a name of some Afghan tribe! Imagine calling someone that and getting a perfectly warm reception!

Name nomenclature has to have some nicheness or exotica associated with it for people to visualise it instantly; unless its a name that has been synonymous with the car maker for years, like Honda Civic. A line of Honda Civic cars would hardly evoke the Campaign for Innocent Victims In Conflict (unless you are about to purchase one!). A Tata Bolt could even raise high emotions out of the blue!

Subaru Brat anyone?

Prajwal

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 18th February 2014 at 14:57.
Old 18th February 2014, 16:40   #89
BHPian

Being a South Indian i would ask why a Hindi name? And i think you have your answer there - An English name would have the widest appeal and audience. My 2 cents.
bharatbits is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 17:52   #90
Senior - BHPian

And surprisingly it is as simple as bharat mentioned. Have a product targetting a pan india segment, it would be quite tough to find a name appreciated by all other than in English.
deathwalkr is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks