Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2014, 13:40   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automated Manual Transmission (AMT): The new buzz in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki To Launch Alto K10, Wagon R With AMT. Alto would be in 2014 and Wagon R in 2015.

Yes, AMT on all their cars and on rivals' cars, too. But not on Swift diesel. I think Swift diesel will explode if it is fitted with AMT or, may be Maruti's plant will be vaporised if they launch Swift diesel with AMT.
Old 8th March 2014, 14:28   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yes, AMT on all their cars and on rivals' cars, too. But not on Swift diesel.
But natural.
The swift diesel or most other Diesel Hatchbacks sell as they are, why take an effort to develop an automatic for them. If the Tata Zest which will get the same engine and an AMT sells in good numbers and hurts Maruti's sales, then every version of the swift on rode and proposed will get the AMT.

Rahul
Old 8th March 2014, 20:05   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
From a design point of view it helps to increase full efficiency and to decrease engine noise. So I guess it depends how relevant that is and what the realistic gain could be.

Jeroen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
...it depends on the design objective. If its FE at any cost, then TC lockup as early and often as you can at the determent of NVH, acceleration & shift quality
Agreed, but as obvious as 'to make money, buy low sell high'!
Insight into the compromises to be juggled would be interesting.

Quote:
We are digressing
Agreed fully. But no one seems to be interested in starting a technical thread on the slushbox.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 9th March 2014, 02:41   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Agreed, but as obvious as 'to make money, buy low sell high'!
Insight into the compromises to be juggled would be interesting.
LOL, if its so obvious to you, then there's not much more that I can add

You just have to weigh your options and decide what to favor more.

Things that will help you 'minimize the compromises' are... 1. large ratio spread, more ratios, healthy torque:weight (road-load rather) ratio, and a engine with more cylinders (rather than less), NA-petrol.
What will hurt you is a lack of these!

Last edited by Mpower : 10th March 2014 at 01:08.
Old 9th March 2014, 14:26   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
But natural.
The swift diesel or most other Diesel Hatchbacks sell as they are, why take an effort to develop an automatic for them.....
If what you say is how Maruti thinks, then I would call that complacency on part of Maruti. I mean why wait till Swift's sales start eroding to take a remedial action. They might as well introduce an AMT version right away and broaden the range and resultant appeal. After all, right now, too, there is world of difference between prices of basic LXI variant and fully loaded ZDI. Why not take a step further, and have an AMT variant. VDI + AMT at ZDI price would not be a bad idea.
Old 9th March 2014, 20:49   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
You just have to weigh your options and decide what to favor more.
The essence of most engineering!

Regards
Sutripta
Old 21st March 2014, 14:54   #172
BHPian

A recent article in Hindu Business Line today has highlighted certain views of the automobile manufacturers and the growing trend of automatic cars in India.

Here is a complete link to the news:

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle5812312.ece
mints21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 05:58   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
A recent article in Hindu Business Line today has highlighted certain views of the automobile manufacturers and the growing trend of automatic cars in India.

Here is a complete link to the news:

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle5812312.ece
So still not much to look forward to in the immediate future. The article states that Ford Ecosport AT demand was double their expectations and that they had to stop bookings. It means that buyers are willing to pay up and not just in the luxury range, for ATs. When will auto companies get over their cold feet?
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 07:52   #174
Team-BHP Support

Not to go away from the AMT topic, I think the bigger problem is for these companies is to get out of the mindset about offsetting the AT cost against more important safety features. I find that quite surprising.
Old 25th March 2014, 21:05   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
In short, on the outside this is just an Automatic but the way the gearbox works from the inside is different from conventional Automatics. Correct me if I am still wrong
How is this different than, for example honda city (type 2) AT? I always feel the actual gears shifted during acceleration.
Old 29th March 2014, 15:35   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
OK.
Question for the experts: When should a TC unlock? When an auto is driven in 'manual' mode?
I tried to find out when a TC locks and unlocks on a friends friends Fluidic Verna Diesel on the Pune Mumbai Exp way.
Driving on with a light foot I kept the engine below 2000 RPM, and felt the gears upshift Fourth was at 1600 RPM 60 kph, and then what felt like the fifth being engaged and RPM dropping to about 1500 keeping a very light foot on the throttle got it to just about 80 at 1700 Rpm. Drive feel was positive, and the current efficiency shown on the speedo was between 22 kmpl and 30 kmpl.
Any more than extreme light throttling got the lock to disengage, and RPM to jump to 1900. Effeciency being shown on the speedo in this condition was 16.

In my opinion if we can get one of our chipping experts to tweak the TCU and get the lock operational even in 3rd and get it to dis engage for a upshift from 3rd to 4th and engage again, And also to let the lock remain engaged for moderate acceleration, in 3rd and 4th and only disengage when we floor or jab the accelerator we will be able to improve fuel efficiency dramatically. One additional jerk should be the only sacrifice in our comfort.

The lock which now operates at only 60 kph and above in 4th will be operating 40 and above in both 3rd and 4th, and the efficiency on our low speed cruses on city main roads which are usually below 60 will improve considerably.

The guy whose car I borrowed says he gets an efficiency of 11 to 13 in City and 16 to 18 on Highways at 100-110 kph regularly. Our upto 80 kph run to Lonavala and back 132 km consumed 7 Lit.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 20:17   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Drive feel was positive, and the current efficiency shown on the speedo was between 22 kmpl and 30 kmpl.
Any more than extreme light throttling got the lock to disengage, and RPM to jump to 1900. Effeciency being shown on the speedo in this condition was 16.
That is a huge difference, and is very surprising.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:02   #178
Senior - BHPian

According to Hormadz, Ritz and Dzire automatic are being gradually phased out. AMT to replace them.

http://m.autocarindia.com/Article.as...1633&type=News
Old 7th April 2014, 12:28   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti could equip all their cars with the AMT variant. After Celerio, Ritz and DZire coiuld be the next.

Quote:
By replacing the Ritz and the Dzire cars’ 4 speed automatic gearboxes with a 5 speed AMT, Maruti is expected to price these cars lower. Also, mileage of the Ritz and Dzire equipped with an AMT will increase. Maruti will also equip the Alto K10 and the WagonR with AMTs next year. So, we could have 4 AMT equipped cars from Maruti in a year from now.
http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/m...-paused-88527/
Old 7th April 2014, 13:49   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti could equip all their cars with the AMT variant. After Celerio, Ritz and DZire coiuld be the next.

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/m...-paused-88527/
The name of the game here is 'DIESEL + AMT'. Whoever brings this combination first ( its the Tata ZEST right now), they have OWNED the market.

A Tata car after many years will have over flowing waiting periods and that will be the ZEST, trust me on this. Maruti lost a chance by not bring the Dzire or Swift Diesel with AMT first, Tata somehow foresaw the opportunity and here we have the ZEST.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks