Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 14:23   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automated Manual Transmission (AMT): The new buzz in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
The name of the game here is 'DIESEL + AMT'. Whoever brings this combination first ( its the Tata ZEST right now), they have OWNED the market.

A Tata car after many years will have over flowing waiting periods and that will be the ZEST, trust me on this. Maruti lost a chance by not bring the Dzire or Swift Diesel with AMT first, Tata somehow foresaw the opportunity and here we have the ZEST.
Will Maruti ever be worried about a Tata car? Even the Nano couldn't cause any concerns. Not be belittle them but thats how it could be.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 14:38   #182
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki may be facing manufacturing constraints for AMT boxes now.These are being supplied from Italy. Even for AMT Celerio they are circulating 6 months waiting period (!) .So they may not come with AMT in other models , till the initial Celerio mania dies down. By that time the AMT boxes will be manufactured in India (Usual MS style of localizing parts).Once this is done then will come cheaper variants in Alto ,Wagon R and Ritz. MS may put AMT to Swift ,but delayed. The reason is that the Swift is selling in good numbers.
Old 9th April 2014, 09:53   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Celerio has bookings of over 35,000 units; a significant number given the market situation.and over 49 per cent have been for the gearless variant.

Product, Pricing and Positioning are the reasons, believed by Maruti, as the success of Celerio.

Automated Manual Transmission (AMT): The new buzz in India-maruti1.jpg

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th April 2014 at 09:55.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 11:06   #184
Senior - BHPian

Celerio generated booking of 35000 !!! That's massive considering current market situation. Out of that 49 % is for AMT. That means 51 % is for Manual. So many people saying it's overpriced, but looks like most people don't agree to this. Great going Maruti. Increase the production to 10,000 + per month and launch AMT Zxi with optional too. It can join Maruti's premium 10 K + club for sure along with Swift, Dzire & Wagon R

Link : http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/33450213.cms
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 12:06   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Celerio could topple Alto's run of being the largest monthly sales figures.

Quote:
Celerio has been clocking 1,000 bookings a day. At this rate, Celerio, which was launched just two months ago at the Delhi Auto Expo, could surpass Maruti's own Alto as India's best-selling car. Maruti Alto has a sales volume of around 20,000-25,000 units per month.
5 reasons why Maruti Celerio is a grand hit, and why Indian buyers are ready to wait even six months to get delivery for this model are,

1. Pricing of variants
2. AMT - Clevery advertised
3. Low maintenace Technology ( auto shift)
4. Fuel efficiency - (no compromise with AMT)
5. After sales ( strong perception of MASS)

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industri...and-hit-385365
Old 28th April 2014, 15:14   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Waiting period for Maruti’s AMT Celerio shoots up to 7-8 months and beyond!

Quote:
The total demand for AMT Celerios has risen to 50 percent of the total 36,000 bookings so far.Even the MT Celerio ZXi version with airbags and alloy wheels is witnessing a four-month waiting period.
http://www.autocarpro.in/ap/news-nat...-shoots-months
Old 29th April 2014, 13:25   #187
BHPian

You got to give credit to Maruti's marketing team here. The buzz they have generated around the Celerio is commendable.

I had this discussion with a friend of mine who was considering the Celerio and was worried about the waiting period. I suggested-"Why don't you consider similar automatic options like the i10 or the Brio?". He replied "But Maruti is the only manufacturer to have Automatic transmission in small cars right? "

That explains the situation. People who didn't really care about automatic transmissions earlier are now considering the Celerio eyes closed.
deoelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 13:41   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post
You got to give credit to Maruti's marketing team here. The buzz they have generated around the Celerio is commendable.

I had this discussion with a friend of mine who was considering the Celerio and was worried about the waiting period. I suggested-"Why don't you consider similar automatic options like the i10 or the Brio?". He replied "But Maruti is the only manufacturer to have Automatic transmission in small cars right? "

That explains the situation. People who didn't really care about automatic transmissions earlier are now considering the Celerio eyes closed.
That is nothing. In my home state of AP, people don't even know what auto transmission means. And no, I am not referring to villagers. I am talking about city guys and engineers and some of them even visit US frequently where AT cars rules the roost. You have to tell them that auto transmission means automatic gears. Then next question is, "Is there such a thing? I know automatic scooter like Activa. But car?".
Old 30th April 2014, 11:36   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Will Maruti ever be worried about a Tata car? Even the Nano couldn't cause any concerns. Not be belittle them but thats how it could be.
They were worried once. AFAIK they had announced a price reduction right before the Indica was launched.

I believe the Diesel+AMT combination will be a great advantage for TATA.
jaguar.runs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 12:39   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
They were worried once. AFAIK they had announced a price reduction right before the Indica was launched.

I believe the Diesel+AMT combination will be a great advantage for TATA.
It all depends on how well TATA will sell this. There are a lot of people who are deaf/blind to what TATA says/does.
Old 23rd May 2014, 09:42   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

The buzz word 'AMT' has now caught up in the Indian bus industry - Over 2,000 buses in India to be fitted with AMT gearboxes this fiscal year (Though AMT from Wabco is different )

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/05/2...gearbox-130993

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd May 2014 at 10:08.
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:03   #192
Senior - BHPian

AMT will be a standard in commercial vehicles soon.
As per market talk, long route 2 axle Volvo's which return 3.2 km/lit with manual gearbox improve to about 3.7 km/lit with i-shift which is Volvos equivalent of AMT.
City buses and heavy traffic routes should be able to show a much larger difference.

Driving comfort is an added advantage which operators may not consider, but will surely aid in road safety.

Rahul
Old 23rd May 2014, 15:20   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki has confirmed that it has received orders for around 58,000 units of the Maruti Celerio, launched at the Auto Expo 2014.

Maruti has delivered about 28000 cars and 50% of them are of the AMT variant.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...areek/35487404
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 18:12   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The buzz word 'AMT' has now caught up in the Indian bus industry - Over 2,000 buses in India to be fitted with AMT gearboxes this fiscal year (Though AMT from Wabco is different )

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/05/2...gearbox-130993
Buses have been using AMT long before it debuted in cars. Popular example is the Volvo I-shift
Mpower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 10:49   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Buses have been using AMT long before it debuted in cars. Popular example is the Volvo I-shift
Very true. AMT is common in intercity buses, and even buses with Torque converters are almost equally efficient as manuals and only marginally less efficient than AMT's.
This is because the converter is operational only while starting from a dead halt, and then remains locked up once the bus shifts to higher gears.

It follows two shift patterns depending on load and gradient.
Hi torque start is 1C-1L-2L-3L-4L-5L-6L
Normal start is 2C-2L-3L-4L-5L-6L.

In city buses with lots of stops and starts a major wearing component the clutch plate gets eliminated.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks