Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2014, 20:29   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automated Manual Transmission (AMT): The new buzz in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Would it be possible to retrofit AMT into the existing cars? Anyone tried that already or in the processing of trying? I mean, is this even possible to start with?
Guess converting is possible if the car is designed to support AMT since they share the gearbox and the only addition is the AMT unit. Retrofitting may be possible but definitely not a simple thing as the AMT module must be able to replicate the same movements of the gear selector forks which can vary from car to car. If that is easy, then one can convert from manual to AMT
Old 13th June 2014, 10:07   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Would it be possible to retrofit AMT into the existing cars? Anyone tried that already or in the processing of trying? I mean, is this even possible to start with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guess converting is possible if the car is designed to support AMT since they share the gearbox and the only addition is the AMT unit. Retrofitting may be possible but definitely not a simple thing as the AMT module must be able to replicate the same movements of the gear selector forks which can vary from car to car. If that is easy, then one can convert from manual to AMT
Guys, check this out

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...h-my-alto.html

Quoting a post from that thread here -

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
Ha, so this is how an AMT gearbox feels like!!

BEAU-TI-FUL ! (Just like Jim Carrey said in some movie)

I went to the mechanic shed without any expectation on how the new system would feel like.
At around 7 pm, I slipped behind the wheels of my "mutated" alto.
The mechanic gave some detailing on the DOs and DON'Ts of the system and then off we went for our maiden spin.
Boy oh boy, this is the first time I'm driving an AMT car and I landed up pressing the brake every time while changing gears, mistaking it for the clutch pedal ! I am sure that the mechanic would have thought whether I ever knew the basic ABC pedals itself or not !
But I gained control of the alto pretty soon and was able to harness it as I used to earlier, without any issue.
I drove for 50 kms this evening in vehicles infested areas and I'm learning the party trick as and when to change gears!
If magneti marelli's offering for the Celerio is somewhere close to my home made AMT, I am sure MSIL has a winner in its hand!
However, coming to my new found technology, I am compiling a full scale report with photos and videos which would be a feast for our ever hungry "automobilo-vores".
Kindly bear with me for a couple of days.
Cheers
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 19:45   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What a change?!! From a Automatic hated market, in a span of 1-2 years, we are moving to the Automatic loved market. I would NOT have dreamt of this 6 months back!
While this movement is certainly welcome, I still believe (after driving auto cars in the US for quite some time) that pure auto gear techonology is the way to go. Very often we are given the reason of higher costs, but through localisation and volumes the costs can be negated.
Old 10th October 2014, 09:04   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

After creating the awareness of Automatics in India, with Celerio, Maruti is set to realese the most affordable Automatic in India - The Alto K10, when it gets relesased on Oct. 21st.
AMT is no longer a buzz work, and has become 'The Way of Life'!
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 12:17   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

AMT geras up again . Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 AMT Facelift to deliver a 24.07 Kmpl Mileage - takes the tag of being India's most efficient 'Automatic' car.

http://www.cartoq.com/maruti-suzuki-...k-car-mileage/

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd October 2014 at 12:18.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 22:50   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
AMT geras up again . Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 AMT Facelift to deliver a 24.07 Kmpl Mileage - takes the tag of being India's most efficient 'Automatic' car.

http://www.cartoq.com/maruti-suzuki-...k-car-mileage/
Alto can hold this title until Nano AMT become available. What happens if Nano AMT comes before Alto K10 AMT
Old 23rd October 2014, 07:48   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
What happens if Nano AMT comes before Alto K10 AMT
Nope it is not possible. Alto K10 is a few days away from launch, cars in transit to dealers
Old 1st November 2014, 11:43   #218
Team-BHP Support

Maruti is is working with Magneti Marelli to increase monthly AMT production from 3,500 to 5,000 units over the next two months. The company expects Magneti Marelli to further increase production once it sets up a manufacturing facility at Manesar, Hayrana. This will be a crucial step since Maruti is planning to equip many more of its models with the technology.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 16:10   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Maruti is is working with Magneti Marelli to increase monthly AMT production from 3,500 to 5,000 units...
3.5K-5K monthly?!
And that to be divided between Celerio and upcoming Alto K10!
Given Alto's high volumes and Celerio's AMT demand this seems kind-of less.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 18:15   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitthari View Post
While this movement is certainly welcome, I still believe (after driving auto cars in the US for quite some time) that pure auto gear techonology is the way to go. Very often we are given the reason of higher costs, but through localisation and volumes the costs can be negated.
From a user's perspective, an AMT functions just like an regular automatic. All you have to do is accelerate and brake as required, just like you would in an automatic. Unless someone is a rough driver, he/ she won't notice much difference between an automatic or an AMT. One has to keep in mind that this option is currently being offered on lower end cars and one shouldn't compare its performance with higher end automatics. For people buying sub 10 lakh cars, AMT is a great option. If it is reliable over the long term is another story but I would be happy to take that risk if I were buying a car and it had that option available.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 18:56   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
3.5K-5K monthly?!

Add to that the Zest AMT and the speculated Bolt too. The demand is indeed increasing and hence this supply rate still looks less.
dZired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 19:36   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
3.5K-5K monthly?!
Maruti does its planning well in advance to protect its market share. Wagon R is speculated to come in the AMT avatar in early 2015.
Now reports of Celerio AMT being tested, will it be an AMT diesel ? We will know shortly!
Old 1st November 2014, 19:49   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post

Add to that the Zest .... less.
Magneti Marelli must be one happy and lucky company! What with sudden surge in AMT demand from an affordable AT Car deprived nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti does ..... shortly!
Some reviews say that the AMT is tuned better in Alto K10 so may be they are testing the same with Celerio?
AMT diesel in Celerio would shake up the nuts and 'Bolts' of the Hatchback market.
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:19   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Bosch jumps to the AMT party with their e-clutch system.

http://overdrive.in/news/bosch-in-ta...clutch-system/

Quoting some interesting parts from the report.

Quote:
The success of the AMT transmission has encouraged Bosch to engage in talks with several Indian automotive manufacturers to adopt the system since its benefits outweigh those offered by the AMT
Quote:
The first and biggest benefit of the system is the higher fuel efficiency derived as compared to the AMT. The eClutch has a start stop coasting function that reduces fuel consumption by nearly 10 per cent
Quote:
AMT’s big thrust also came from the fact that the technology is highly affordable. Can Bosch provide the same levels of cost effectiveness, is still left to be seen.
Quote:
Where Bosch could score big with the eClutch system is with larger hatchbacks and the mid-range C-segment sedans whose consumers would appreciate the better refinement, smoothness and efficiency
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:34   #225
Senior - BHPian

Looks promising with higher FE. Hopefully price non-sensitive segments will see this and we will have stress free driving in our stressful environments !

With coasting, it seems to take away the engine braking for FE. A bit of push on the accelerator is always needed to keep the engine engaged with transmission. Hopefully, it should be intelligent to sense increase in speed to re-engage the transmission

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks