Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2015, 09:48   #256
BHPian

Re: Automated Manual Transmission (AMT): The new buzz in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
A Swift Diesel with an AMT will be the best thing that ever will happen to a Maruti. I can imagine YEARS and YEARS of waiting period for this thing. 26+ARAI mileage currently on the Diesel Swift, the convenience of an Automatic + a Plus/Minus option to shift manually when you are n those Lonavala Ghats on the Mumbai - Pune expressway, add a sweet paddle shifter behind the steering wheel (You can after market add it if Maruti does not give it as an option). Life is MADE BLOOD, MADE !

PS: The hair on my hand just stood up imaging and typing this post of a Swift Diesel with an AMT.
If such a car with an AMT as well as a paddle shifter is possible, it would be the best buy. But is it possible? A paddle shifter is available only in high end cars like the Civic-I do not know much just guessing. Would anyone buy such a costly Swift?

And after market fitments like a paddle shifter-Are they available?

Why are no small cars available with paddle shifters?
Ashok Naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 10:53   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Naik View Post
If such a car with an AMT as well as a paddle shifter is possible, it would be the best buy. But is it possible? A paddle shifter is available only in high end cars like the Civic-I do not know much just guessing. Would anyone buy such a costly Swift?

Since the AMT's have a manual shift option ( tiptronic mode), I believe it would be possible to have paddle shifters. But the additional cost involved would take away the cost benefit of an AMT. The cost factor is what I think prevents it from being available in cheaper cars. For example the city vx CVT has paddle shifters, but the SV variant does not have it inspite of using the same gear box.

Depending on the vehicle, after market fitment is possible. The polo/ vento tsi does not come with paddle shifters. But the support is available. So it is just a matter of a getting a new steering wheel with shifters ( I think it costs ~60000). It will be mostly plug and play. Also if I am not mistaken, you can get just the shifter stalks and fit it to the existing steering. This will involve some cutting and stuff.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 08:31   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

How AMT revolutionized the Indian mind set on 'automatics'. Full credit to Maruti Suzuki's brain child of bringing this and most importantly marketing the AMT / ASG with hype.

Customers said the premium should not be higher, the car should deliver similar fuel efficiency and the performance should be comparable to a manual car and it should all be easy to maintain - AMT is the solution and a proven hit.

Now most manufacturers have joined the AMT bandwagon to reap success of this growing trend.

Automated Manual Transmission (AMT): The new buzz in India-carsgraph.jpg

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/46981918.cms

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th April 2015 at 08:46.
Old 20th April 2015, 11:29   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Naik View Post

Yes, fitting aftermarket paddle shifters is possible for the simple reason AMT cars come with the + and - minus option which invariably are just switches which come into play when you chose to upshift or downshift with the + and - sign. The same can be connected as an after market option behind the steering wheel. Even the current Celrio's can be made to have a paddle shifter, its not a big deal at all.

For example, this company in the US sells a product like this.

http://twistmachine.com/?main_page=p...&products_id=7

For an Manufacturer like Maruti who has Magneti Marelli with them as an OEM, this is a walk in the park.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 08:59   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know which Indian companies are manufacturing AMT gear boxes for the OEMs. Magenti Marreli is not the only one as someone mentioned above. Bosch is present.
Any idea on which company is best placed to reap benefits from the AMT wave?
Schaeffler shows interest in the gear less solution for cars and is looking at introducing its AMT (automated manual transmission) technology and also e-clutches for the Indian car market.

At present, the Indian car market only has Magneti Mirelli AMTs that are available on a couple of Maruti Suzuki products and even Tata Motors will soon have two in its line-up.

Quote:
We have provided various possible solutions to our customers in this space. We have an ECM (electronic clutch module or management) wherein the clutch pedal is removed, and then the gears can be changed without application of the clutch — that is also a clutch-pedal-less like AMT. We also have an AMT solution. AMT is getting well accepted and almost every OEM is working on it. We will be very happy and glad to work and further that solution.
http://motoroctane.com/news/12494-sc...e-amt-in-india
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 09:26   #261
Team-BHP Support

Bosch e-Clutch.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...gy-392030.aspx

Saw this on Bosch site:
http://www.bosch-presse.de/pressefor...=en&txtID=6362
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 13:03   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

AMT gains momentum.

Hyundai and Renault to use AMT tech
Quote:
Hyundai and Renault will use the ZF Sachs AMT gearbox. Hyundai Grand i10 and Renault’s upcoming small car likely to benefit.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ch-394712.aspx
Old 10th May 2015, 19:38   #263
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drove the AMT versions of Maruti Alto K10 Vxi and Celerio Vxi (Maruti brands them with Auto Gear Shift badge).
Not sure if I got these impressions being the first time I drove an AMT (have driven regular auto transmission cars in the US in the past):
1. A bit sluggish especially during initial movement from stationary state
2. The gear shifts are very apparent and not subtle/smooth as that in the traditional auto transmission cars. Definitely felt these cars had a mind of their own!

*In fact I liked the Manual mode so much more and felt a lot in control
Still early days, will take time and more test drives during the journey to select an automatic hatch.

Last edited by NPV : 10th May 2015 at 19:39.
Old 23rd May 2015, 10:09   #264
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quoting from the Official Review of the Nano AMT, but being a generic point for all the AMT's now being launched I thought it's more appropriate for discussion here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Additional Notes:
• Not sure how the AMT will behave once the clutch starts to wear out. Will AMT clutches have to be replaced sooner than MT clutches? Proper clutch service and setting will play an important role with the AMT's performance.
I think the life of the AMT clutch as compared to a manual transmission's clutch system is a good point to consider when buying.
What are the car manufacturers saying/claiming regarding life of the AMT systems ?
Old 23rd May 2015, 10:34   #265
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think the life of the AMT clutch as compared to a manual transmission's clutch system is a good point to consider when buying.
What are the car manufacturers saying/claiming regarding life of the AMT systems ?
This is now a serious question while considering AMT's for purchase. I couldn't hear any concrete answers on this from any people. Is there any BHPian in the forum owning a Clerio that has munched miles decently in these 1+ years and what is the state of the AMT Clutch? And fellow AMT owners - is there any mention of scheduled service involving work/replacements on clutch for AMT?
Old 25th May 2015, 00:04   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarkarthi View Post
And fellow AMT owners - is there any mention of scheduled service involving work/replacements on clutch for AMT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Maruti Suzuki claims 10 years or 160000kms warranty for the AMT unit in Celerio and Alto K10. The term is very much the entire life of the car.
My Alto K10 AMT has done only 2600kms and hence I cannot comment on the reliability yet, but I did inquire with my friendly Maruti Suzuki service advisor and according to him they have Celerio AMT customers who have clocked around 20k kms with no issues.
Old 25th May 2015, 09:17   #267
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Maruti Suzuki claims 10 years or 160000kms warranty for the AMT unit in Celerio and Alto K10. The term is very much the entire life of the car.
Has Maruti given you a warranty card stating this 10 year, 160000Km entitlement for the AMT unit ? If so, it's not an issue when deciding on the AMT
Old 28th May 2015, 07:56   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

After tasting huge success in its AMT variants. Maruti decides to take it to all its cars - well almost all.

After Celerio and Alto - next to follow are Dzire and WagonR, will release Swift and Ertiga by the year end.

The highlight is now they are offering the AMT in the Diesel variant starting with Diesel.
So next will be after the success of Celerio Diesel - AMT diesel could be the next big thing in all their small car segment.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-37.html
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 15:25   #269
BHPian

While Suzuki, Renault, Tata & Mahindra go down the AMT route, VW and Ford going with DCT it appears.

http://indianautosblog.com/2015/03/n...with-at-173296

Not sure if customers will be willing to pay for the higher price of CVT/ DCT.
Old 17th July 2015, 18:00   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai is ready with its AMT technology, and it has already tested the i10 and even the Eon range.

Quote:
It will be making space for its AMT products too. Hyundai will using ZF AMT transmissions.
http://motoroctane.com/news/15660-hy...logy-exclusive
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed