Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2017, 15:55   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automated Manual Transmission (AMT): The new buzz in India

I find it amusing when people who are used to driving manual comment on the jerkiness or crudeness of the AMT.

To be honest, its still so much better than having to engage gears yourself. Comparing it with a CVT is a joke, a CVT not only costs much more than an AMT but also has lesser FE and more strict maintenance requirements, not to forget the rubber band effect.

The main person who is looking to buy an AMT over a manual is someone who is looking for a more stress free and less tiring drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Minute jerkiness is not a deal breaker at all for such customers. The comparatively lesser price difference and Fuel efficiency difference between Manual and AMT is the icing on the cake.

As to someone who is used to driving a regular automatic or CVT already - yes for him the AMT will be a downgrade, no doubt. But why would a CVT/Regular automatic owner look for an AMT anyway.

Last edited by DCEite : 15th November 2017 at 15:56.
DCEite is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 16:33   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I find it amusing when people who are used to driving manual comment on the jerkiness or crudeness of the AMT.

To be honest, its still so much better than having to engage gears yourself. Comparing it with a CVT is a joke, a CVT not only costs much more than an AMT but also has lesser FE and more strict maintenance requirements, not to forget the rubber band effect.

The main person who is looking to buy an AMT over a manual is someone who is looking for a more stress free and less tiring drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Minute jerkiness is not a deal breaker at all for such customers. The comparatively lesser price difference and Fuel efficiency difference between Manual and AMT is the icing on the cake.

As to someone who is used to driving a regular automatic or CVT already - yes for him the AMT will be a downgrade, no doubt. But why would a CVT/Regular automatic owner look for an AMT anyway.
Spot on. Why some people get so fussy about things beats me. I have also repeated, most of what you said, to death. There's a reason why AMT is around. It's cheap to buy , serves a purpose of shiftless/clutchless drive (Oh God , so much needed in our maddening cities!), returns better FE than CVT/Torque Converter, performs better than CVT/TC , as there's no rubber band effect or no liquid sloshing in the housing. Yet, we see such posts. There is a thing called budget and most of us have to pick a car within one. If wishes were horses, everyone would be driving a super car with 10-speed ZFtronic box.
pgsagar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 14:45   #318
Senior - BHPian

Honestly its not that bad. Ive driven a few conventional automatics a fair amount but Ive only been in an AMT twice. It was the same car both times, a friends previous generation Dzire AMT. Its covered a lot of miles and there hasnt been any deterioration in the quality as such, so I would say its reliable in most cases. The first time I drove it, I tried taking it fast as well as at a leisurely speed and unless driven hard the head bob is barely noticeable when it shifts, probably only to the driver especially one who is looking out for it.
The second time I was a passenger for most of the trip and since it was a normal drive I didnt feel the shifts at all ! I did takeover driving for a short stretch and my observations were pretty much the same as my last drive. It certainly felt better to drive than my Boss' Vento automatic which was the most recent conventional auto Ive driven.
Old 16th November 2017, 18:00   #319
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from a longish test drive of the Tiago AMT.

To summarize my experience of AMT, its not at all bad, the shift experience is a lot better than the only other AMT i have driven - Celerio.

The Tiago has an Eco mode and a Sports Mode. The gear shifts in Eco mode with normal driving were barely noticable.

However, in Sports mode, the head nod is there, but given the brisk acceleration, its something that can be overlooked - and will be easily be get used to with regular driving.

The only thing i didn't like was the lag in shift with manual mode. There seem to be a clear 1 second difference between the time gear is shifted manually and the actual shift.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 18:19   #320
BHPian

90% of the people I speak to about automatics, don't know what is what.
They have absolutely no idea what is AMT/AT/CVT/DSG. For a first time automatic buyer, AMT gives as much satisfaction as any other (actually they don't know what they are driving) it is just "gearless" for them.

And those who care, will choose otherwise. BTW, the AMT execution in Ignis is very superior.
penpavan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 19:14   #321
Senior - BHPian

Please don't compare an amt with a torque convertor unit. I am used to my Hexa's excellent automatic box where in I don't know which gear I am in, even rise and fall in rpm is not noticable unless one looks at the rpm meter. Now compared with this an AMT feels very crude. Every gear change is felt and the box response is quite slow
apachelongbow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 19:27   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

The AMT/AGS revolution in India has caught up so well that Maruti Suzuki may demand a new plant in 1-2 years.

Acceptability of the two pedal technology as well as its affordability is making it so popular.

Quote:
The AMT, which constituted almost 40 per cent of the sales in the Celerio hatchback, today constitutes about 20 per cent each of the Ignis and the new Dzire portfolio

Quote:
About 20 per cent of the AMT also known as auto gear shift is being added in every new model that the Japanese carmaker launches in the country and at the current growth rate, capacity for the AMT may fall short of market demand
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th February 2018 at 19:30.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 17:21   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Four years after the introduction of AMT, Maruti Suzuki reaps tremendous success of this variant.

Quote:
1 out of 3 Maruti Celerio & Ignis buyers choose AMT variants
Quote:
in the last fiscal (2017-18), as many as 29% of buyers of the Celerio and the Ignis opted for the AMT-equipped AGS version of the manual transmission models. In the last financial year, the company sold as many 94,721 units of the Celerio. Hence, as per the data provided by the company, almost 27,500 Celerios that were sold last year were equipped with the Auto Gear Shift (AGS) technology
Quote:
Official statistics also show that the company sold 47,222 units of the Ignis. Hence, as per the data on sales of AGS variants, the company managed to sell 13,700 units of the Ignis AMT in the last financial year.
Link
Old 31st May 2018, 18:47   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Nearly four years after the promotion of AMT (AGS), Maruti Suzuki claims to have sold 3 lakhs of cars in this variant.

Aims to sell over 2-lakh cars with its AGS by the end of the current 2019 fiscal year.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki India today announced achieving a new sales milestone as the company sold over 3 lakh AMT models in India equipped with its popular Auto Gear Shift (AGS) technology. First introduced with the Celerio in 2014, Maruti's automated manual transmission (AMT) technology is now available in most of the company's popular models, the Vitara Brezza being the latest one to get it.

Link
Old 1st June 2018, 16:13   #325
BHPian

Doesn't matter if it's jerky or not. I just hope most people move over to some form of automatics. The skills of typical drivers are average at best, gives them extra cognitive abilities to look where they are going. Reduces stress on the roads, and is specially helpful to elderly people like my dad who learnt driving at a late stage. Heck, the accrued savings from abuse of gearbox and clutch alone would be significant!

Besides, its a one way street for more than 90% people (even some enthusiasts although they'll be loathe to admit ) Most of them would eventually upgrade to the CVTs and DCTs of the world.
avisidhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:32   #326
BHPian

I'm someone who booked a Swift AMT over a Baleno CVT. Until I test drove the Swift AMT extensively, I was also a part of the anti-AMT bandwagon, however after spending close to 50-60 km on the TD vehicle sampling all practical conditions, and understanding how AMT's work, I found that this is much more livable than leading a life full of plain boredom with a noisy CVT.

When you drive AMT's like a regular automatic car, you will definitely feel the jerkiness in the initial gearshifts. The more time you spend with it, more you understand how the gear changes according to your throttle input, and easier it becomes to nullify the shift-shocks. Just go easy on the accelerator pedal, and the car shifts rather smoothly. Switch to manual mode, and the car is almost as fun as a regular manual car- and this is an area where AMT's leave CVT's in dust.

I don't know about the reliability of AMT tech, however considering the mere 45K premium over manual variants, this is definitely a move in the right direction. And congrats to Maruti !

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 2nd June 2018 at 11:35.
xjosephjacob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 10:46   #327
Senior - BHPian

ZF reveals electrified automated gearbox.

ZF has revealed its electrified automated manual transmission (eAMT) technology that allows the hybridisation of small and compact vehicles. This innovative concept works on front-transverse vehicles and integrates an electric axle drive system (eVD) and an automated manual transmission (AMT) into one system.

How it Works:

http://www.autocarindia.com/car-news..._medium=Social
Old 31st August 2018, 12:17   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Has Sold More Than 3.6 Lakh AMT Automatic Cars In the Last Four Years .

Quote:
In comparison, sales of the CVT or standard torque convertor automatic on the likes of the Baleno and the Ciaz are said to be less than 10 per cent of the AMT's overall sales. AMT cars contribute to nearly 20 percent of all sales for Maruti Suzuki - for the models that offer the option of course

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki, India's largest automaker is also India's largest seller of automatic cars. With the likes of popular models like the new Swift, Dzire and even the sub-compact Vitara Brezza SUV getting an automated manual transmission or AMT unit, urban buyers are lapping them up by the thousands
Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 15:58   #329
BHPian

We recently bought Swift ZXi AGS to replace my wife's 1st Gen Honda Jazz. We have been having different kinds of automatics in our garage since 10 years now. It includes all kind of autos like Conventional auto in i10 and Grand i10, CVT in Micra and Dual Clutch in Octavia.

My 2 cents on AGS in Swift:
I have found Swift AGS very good in city driving conditions. Conventional autos and CVT mated to 1.2l engines feel very inadequate in city driving conditions. Though they do get the work done, there is no fun in driving. I have found AGS to be fun. With your calibrated throttle inputs, you can get the gears changed whenever you want and the experience is very similar to what you have in manual.. but without clutch and manual gear shifting! And the best part is fuel economy. Our Micra CVT gives around 10, Grand i10 gives around 8-9 and Swift with more fun in driving gives around 12-13. I strongly feel that for smaller capacity engines, AMT/AGS is a way to go.
rutvij is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 11:00   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
My 2 cents on AGS in Swift:
I have found Swift AGS very good in city driving conditions. Conventional autos and CVT mated to 1.2l engines feel very inadequate in city driving conditions. Though they do get the work done, there is no fun in driving. I have found AGS to be fun. With your calibrated throttle inputs, you can get the gears changed whenever you want and the experience is very similar to what you have in manual.. but without clutch and manual gear shifting! And the best part is fuel economy. Our Micra CVT gives around 10, Grand i10 gives around 8-9 and Swift with more fun in driving gives around 12-13. I strongly feel that for smaller capacity engines, AMT/AGS is a way to go.

+1:
I also took a test drive of the Swift AGS (AMT) and pottered around hilly areas like Altamount road, etc. in traffic and also gave it a bit of pedal. I have driven many AT cars in India and abroad. CVTs are mostly no-no and the torque converters require maintenance in our hot climate and congested traffic conditions. DSG failures have been the norm rather than the exception.

With every new model, I feel Maruti has been improving the AMT/AGS technology and honestly the AMT/AGS of the Swift felt very acceptable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks