Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th January 2021, 18:58   #346
BHPian

Default Re: Automated Manual Transmission (AMT): The new buzz in India

Does engine braking help in the same way as manual in case of slopes if AMT is driven in manual mode?

Bit of background.

I recently joined AMT club with entry on new S-Presso in family, primarily for wife.

After driving around 500 kms primarily in city, in both D and M mode, My observation are below.
  • If driven with light foot, It mostly works as expected.
  • Creep function is usable even in heavy traffic, but need to take more care during turning / parking in very tight space.
  • S-Presso full time works in "Economy" mode, due to heavily FE centric tuning. It is too eager to upshift, especially from 4th to 5th, I would like to hold more in 4th.
  • On the fly shift to manual mode comes as boon and without manual mode AMT is incomplete.
  • I was bit cautious during first time climbing up to ground floor from basement parking but now with little use of hand brake, able to start climbing without any rollback.
  • I need to use brake while coming down on slope (of basement) even in first gear in M mode, which I am not sure is due to AMT or characteristic of engine and gearbox combo. (My primary drive is Zest - MJD manual)

So I am comfortable to drive AMT on all kind of highways now (with use of manual mode), but not very comfortable with hill driving.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th January 2021 at 19:58. Reason: Typos

Most Viewed