Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2014, 18:51   #61
BHPian

Re: Budget 2014 - Car prices to come down due to reduction in Excise Duty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
I think the reduction would be applicable from immediate effect.

This will last for around 4 months till a new government is elected & presents a new budget
This interim budget is valid for 4 months from April to July and not with immediate effect.
Old 18th February 2014, 19:07   #62

Can anyone confirm if the budget cut has filtered down to the Bajaj-KTM coalition ?
The scribe here has decided to buy a KTM 200 Duke and his friend is buying a Bajaj Pulsar 200NS. How will the new rates affect the prices of these two models ?
Honda has already dropped prices of the CBR250R by INR7600 so is it safe to assume about 4000 for the Duke and maybe 1500-2000 for the Pulsar?

Regards,
Hrushikesh
Old 18th February 2014, 19:32   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Update: Just called up the Sales Advisor at Sireesh Auto, he says they will get to know by 20th of this month.

Was planning for a XUV 500, but not sure when will the price cut take effect. Also, the dealer currently has around 30 K discount on the W6 Variant, will he shelve that and effectively the price remains the same?
Hi.. I too was about to make down payment and take delivery of my XUV 500 W8 in a week's time. Have put it on hold. Dont know if its wise decision. As will dealer give additional reduction post discounts given ? Can some one guide me..
Old 18th February 2014, 19:46   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARTIK IYER View Post
Hi.. I too was about to make down payment and take delivery of my XUV 500 W8 in a week's time. Have put it on hold. Dont know if its wise decision. As will dealer give additional reduction post discounts given ? Can some one guide me..
One has to pay the price as prevailing at the time of delivery. If they are indeed giving the discounted price, they should have already got the notification.

Please have a word with the guy. And yes, discounts will be there ONLY if the company decides to pass it on. But with the sales down and discounts ON, I do NOT find a reason for M&M NOT to offer this.

Edit:: Cross posting a post from another thread indicating discounts for XUV 500. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post3372099 (Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review)

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th February 2014 at 20:04.
Old 18th February 2014, 20:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Man, could they have been anymore disinterested in their profession? The biggest news of the day that affects their product directly, and they don't have a clue . Were they sleeping on the job?
Thats the scenario of Sales almost everywhere in India and almost in every field. A lot of the sales guys in this industry have no relevance to automobiles in terms of their education and that they only learn about the vehicle they are going to sell once they get onto a job. Ask them a more technical query above their explanation and they will get perplexed and the most common reply would be 'I need to check and come-back.'

They are there because they need a job to run their homes or earn livelihood. Can't really punish them or blame them for such ignorance.
Old 18th February 2014, 21:21   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshtvpm View Post
This interim budget is valid for 4 months from April to July and not with immediate effect.
I tend to disagree here. The excise cut is immediate and at least applicable to all cars that have not left the factory. My Honda SA confirmed the same as well for my booked Honda City.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 22:13   #67
Senior - BHPian

The thread has run 5 pages, and there were reports in newspapers today about major Auto companies on the brink of announcing price cuts by today morning.

And.. nothing happened.

:(
Old 18th February 2014, 22:18   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
With immediate effect Honda has slashed prices for the Dream Neo by Rs 1,600 and the CBR250R by as much as Rs 7,600
Please mention source. Been waiting for some announcement from the two wheeler manufacturers.

EDIT: OK, found sources all over the Internet. Honda hasn't updated their website, though. I'm looking for specific pricing on their Trigger line-up.

Last edited by hellmet : 18th February 2014 at 22:28.
Old 18th February 2014, 22:28   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd love to know in which exact & same driving conditions does a B segment hatchback (e.g. Swift petrol, i20 petrol) provide 18 kpl and a popular SUV (e.g. Scorpio) 8 kpl? These numbers are misleading.

Fact:

1. The concept of SUVs = Gas guzzlers came up in the - you guessed it - USA. And rightly so, considering the 8 cylinder petrol motors & 2500 - 3000 kilo kerb weights of popular gargantuan models.

2. In India however, no car will ever become popular if it's a petrol gas guzzler. Hence, the models that make up for over 90% of SUV sales here are driven by economical 4-cylinder diesels. A Mahindra Scorpio that gives 11 - 12 kpl can hardly be called a "gas guzzler". TSK's Safari 4x4 gives him 11 in the city, am certain that a 4x2 will be even better. Heck, these SUVs are more fuel efficient than some C2 segment sedans.

3. The new breed of monocoque SUVs - EcoSport, Duster, Terrano - do as good as their sedan counterparts on fuel efficiency.

NOTE: There is no successful petrol SUV on sale in India.

Therefore, lets please drop the "SUVs are gas guzzlers" line. It isn't relevant to India at all.

Man, could they have been anymore disinterested in their profession? The biggest news of the day that affects their product directly, and they don't have a clue . Were they sleeping on the job?
Focusing on the fuel efficiency of diesel misses the woods for the trees. Just as the U.K. government focuses solely on CO2 emissions, where diesel has a per km advantage compared with petrol (but not per liter/gallon).

The real argument against diesel is its pollution characteristics, especially in India where emission norms are nowhere near as advanced as the developed world. Diesel should be taxed more because it makes the air that you and I breathe worse. Diesel engines put out particulate matter small enough to be inhaled deep into your lungs. That pollutant, known as PM2.5, has been classified as a carcinogen by the WHO. The difference between gensets, other industrial emissions and cars? Those are bad but they send the muck high up in the air. Cars spew this stuff at the level at which humans breathe i.e. low to the ground.

Can you make diesel cleaner? To an extent by adding particulate matter filters but you can't do that in India because of our fuel quality. What is the option if you care not to be penny wise, pound foolish? Petrol, which from an emissions perspective and even with our standards is immensely better than diesel.
StarScream is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 22:49   #70
BHPian

Looks like Honda & Hyundai will most likely reveal their revised pricing tomorrow. They have pulled out pricing for all the models from their website. Maruti and Tata still continue to display old pricing for all their models.

It could be a case of one manufacturer waiting to see how much the other is reducing by.
Attached Thumbnails
Budget 2014 - Car prices to come down due to reduction in Excise Duty!-hyundai.png  

Attached Images

damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 06:50   #71
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

We bought a Hyundai I20 Asta Petrol in Jan 2014 and right through until 20th Jan or so, the on road price in Madras read as 7.43 lacs.

I was just checking the price yesterday again and find the price to be 7.57lacs.
Did the prices go up somewhere recently?

Or is it an artificial raise, so that the Excise Duty Cut could be shown to be quite substantial, without Hyundai actually losing any money, but just getting the price back to the earlier levels?

This price research was done on Carwale.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 08:54   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Or is it an artificial raise, so that the Excise Duty Cut could be shown to be quite substantial, without Hyundai actually losing any money, but just getting the price back to the earlier levels?

That is such an immoral thing to do IF TRUE. Why can't you be brave enough and just rule out passing the benefit to the customer. A company owing to such measures does not deserve your business.
Old 19th February 2014, 09:08   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Budget 2014 - Duty on small cars, 2 wheelers reduced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Visited a Honda 2 Wheelers showroom to enquire about the excise duty cuts. None of the floor staff have been informed about the cut and they learned about it from me. I asked them to call me once they know something. Will keep you posted.
They are going by the Rule Book of Auto Dealerships, "Thou shall spread rumors on impending Price Hike in the upcoming budget, New Year (to the extent of publishing it in pamphlets) however never acknowledge any info on price cuts"
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 09:10   #74
BHPian

It's just the way greedy corporations work - Price increase is always immediate and a decrease (that too mandated by the govt) takes a lot of time and is never a 100% accurate.
Makes it justified that they are going through bad times. They are all going to get a lot of bad blood for this.
Old 19th February 2014, 09:13   #75
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
We bought a Hyundai I20 Asta Petrol in Jan 2014 and right through until 20th Jan or so, the on road price in Madras read as 7.43 lacs.

I was just checking the price yesterday again and find the price to be 7.57lacs.
Did the prices go up somewhere recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
That is such an immoral thing to do IF TRUE. Why can't you be brave enough and just rule out passing the benefit to the customer. A company owing to such measures does not deserve your business.
The ~ 7.43 lac on-road was the price applicable for the month of December in the last year. There was the usual price hike for the new year (as has become the norm among most Indian manufacturers these days) of around 15k in January, though this came into effect only late in January.

Carwale was quite slow in updating the revised prices in the new year, not just for Hyundai, but many other manufacturers too. Hyundai India's website was updated in January itself with the revised prices. So this was not related to the budget excise reduction in any way.

I don't know if the new prices (post excise reduction) have been updated yet. Across the industry, the excise reduction would kind of take the prices back to what they were in December last year, as most manufacturers raised prices in January of this year stating the usual reasons (or excuses).

Last edited by RSR : 19th February 2014 at 09:14.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks