Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2014, 10:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

License to Drive: RTOs to get High-tech Testing Facilities

Umpteen times, we had seen in threads like 'Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em', 'Accidents in India - PICS', how drivers, not worthy of driving, causing accidents and nuisances on road.
And this wonderful compilation on the same, 7 Habits of highly effective idiots on Indian roads

As in the article and otherwise, very few know about something called as lane discipline, proper signaling, signboards meanings, road etiquette etc.
Reason for all this? They got the license to drive, without being worthy of getting one. The channels for this are mostly corruption and opaque driving license issuing system.

Now, different RTOs across the country had come up actively to change the way driving licenses are issued, by setting up Automated and Hi Tech driving test facilities. To add on, the decisions comes in the wake of their pilot programs in this front, proving successful over the past couple of years. Kudos to those who are behind this initiative for enabling safer roads.

Kerala:
Kerala MVD publishes this article on how their pilot program was successful and their moving forward in setting up full-fledged automated test facilities which will test and issue driving licenses and vehicle fitness certificates.

Quote:
The MVD move comes in the wake of the success and popularity of the country’s first such facilities at Chevayur in Kozhikode and Kannur.

Around 30,000 driving tests were carried out in an year to issue driving licenses from Chevayur and there had not been any complaints from citizens.
The new technology eliminated human intervention and improved test accuracy. The videos would be stored as proof of test. The system would also generate speed graphs and analysis reports.

As in Chevayur and Kannur, vehicle fitness tests at the new centers would be done on parameters such as speed, noise level, wheel alignment, suspension, braking accuracy, and headlight capacity.

The driving test centers used an innovative overhead, video sensor-based technology.
Drivers could see the results real time through computer monitors placed beside the equipment. The entire process would take 15 minutes and the videos could be examined in the event of a complaint.
Mumbai:
Two hi-tech tracks, one at the Andheri regional transport office and the other at Dahisar are planned for the process.
The entire procedure will be conducted on sensor-installed tracks which will record a candidate's result digitally with no official’s personal interference.
Quote:
During the test, candidates will not be accompanied by anyone and they will have to drive through a computer-monitored track. There will be three to four stages that will test their driving skills. At the end of the test, the computer will generate the final report card," said a senior RTO official. For every little mistakes made by applicants, marks will be deducted. The RTO will fix a minimum number of marks for qualifying the test.
Let’s hope, the License to drive falls only to those who deserve the responsibility.

Sources:
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle5695030.ece
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/30693527.cms

Last edited by sarathlal : 20th February 2014 at 10:48.
sarathlal is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 11:29   #2
BHPian

re: License to Drive: RTOs to get High-tech Testing Facilities

Extremely happy to read this.
Our current license issuing procedure is just pathetic. Even pathetic is an understatement.
I had got my license issued without the help of any middle-men like motor training schools(come on we all know they hardly teach driving and their main job is to help retards procure their licenses) or those sitting outside the RTO office(referring to the Andheri RTO here).
Before they issue license, one must pass their so-called multiple choice question test which includes questions ranging from meaning of road-signs and other driving etiquettes. Instead of checking that there is no copying going on, the supervisor was like this : "Ok people, now whats the answer to this question?" So lets take an example the answer was "B", so there was a loud uproar of "B" with some "A's and C's" thrown in; and everyone was ought to press in the correct answer. Even then 5 people failed the test. Such retards come to apply for licenses

Next, on the day of final driving test, I witnessed two incidences where one lady and another man couldn't even brake in time or control their steering with their clumsy hand movements and they had almost made sure that 6-7 people land in the hospital nearby; I am sure they got their licenses becuz of the extra 100 which was slipped to the test officer.

In another incidence, I had gone to the RTO with a friend and I was supposing that she will be driving a two-wheeler(which refers to an activa) and her motor driving school's car to clear the test, but NOTHING of that sort happened! The test officer was seated in a car beneath a tree and you just have to go and give him some papers and sign, that's it, no test or anything whatsoever; and she got her license after a few days!

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 12:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: License to Drive: RTOs to get High-tech Testing Facilities

Good read. I wonder, what state will it be in after a few years. But, anyway, at least a start to rid our roads of the unruly lot.

I would much rather prefer another solution though.

Centralize ALL the RTOs across the country, make amends in the law to cancel the license permanently in case of repeated offences and then relentless enforcement. Use the technology here - Automate the challan generation/payment/addition of offences on DL etc.

Maybe someday.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 20th February 2014 at 12:13.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 12:12   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally ! This is what we always needed, instead of increasing fines and rules we need to train people properly. I am glad they are finally taking a bottom up approach.
One important vehicle has been missed out, three wheelers! The article in TOI has no mention of how rickshaw drivers will be tested, they are the biggest menace on our roads and require the hardest of testing measures.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 12:24   #5
BHPian

There is one in Bangalore (Jnanabharathi Regional Transport Office (RTO)) as well isn't it? I am not sure if the same is actively used. High time some sense is brought in and mandatory qualifications are put in place.
Old 20th February 2014, 18:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbkrishna View Post
There is one in Bangalore (Jnanabharathi Regional Transport Office (RTO)) as well isn't it? I am not sure if the same is actively used. High time some sense is brought in and mandatory qualifications are put in place.
Yup, haven't heard or read anything about it since 2010. Probably defunct now. *sigh* , Back to boring old government desk windows.
Old 3rd March 2014, 20:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Add Pune RTO to the list of RTO's to have high tech testing facilities. Pune RTO has decided to set up an advanced track at the MSRTC run Central training institute at Bhosari. Presently the set up is being used to test heavy vehicles such as bus, trucks & multi axle vehicles. Hopefully soon even the 4 wheelers and 2 wheelers would have a dedicated track for testing.

Details in the link below.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/31179512.cms
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 03:15   #8
BHPian

How about a test for 30 points and Negative marking that fails people as per the rules. A minimum of 60% passing so 18 questions need to be get right for the licensee to pass out. For e.g. the questions could be anything like with multiple choice questions.( As carried out in most other countries)

The exam can be conducted in English,Hindi and a local language and a translator for people who cannot read/write.

1) What would you do if you see an ambulance in your rear view mirror
a) Block its way
b) Yield and allow it to pass .
c) Come out of the car and help them.
d) None of the above.

Just my 2 cents. IMO, it seems making people "learn by heart" is a good way to embed rules.
Old 4th March 2014, 07:02   #9
BHPian

This is a very good move to test the skills of the fighters (drivers) and see if they are able to drive responsibly.

However, these fighters also need their equipment to be sturdy and reliable, in India most of the accidents happen because of worn out tires, faulty brakes, structural damage to the vehicle etc. Come to think of it, most heavy vehicles that ply do not even have decent brake lights.

The road transport department should also address these issues and make the fitness tests of the vehicles more stringent and meaningful.
Old 6th March 2014, 08:30   #10
BHPian

Having driven for close to 13 years in India now, it was surprising that I failed my first driving test in US. In fact, the maneuverability test, where most drivers fail, was easier to manage as compared to following the finer nuances of traffic rules.

The test was short but comprehensive and I was failed when I stopped only for a fraction of second on a red signal, while taking a right turn (equivalent of left turn in India). I was supposed to be stopping there and count till three. The single failure has made me a very cautious driver and more rule abiding than probably the Americans themselves.

In India, such stringent tests are a necessity since we already have such a high number of road accident deaths. Automated option seems a better idea since the number of applicants is huge and even the present set of testers seem lacking the competence needed to evaluate drivers. The case in point is my wife's driving test which was almost waived since the evaluator in Delhi RTO came to know that she happened to be an army officer. It was only after she insisted that he took time to go out and actually see her drive.

A definitive overhaul is needed and this looks like a step in right direction.
bhardwhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 09:45   #11
BHPian

Every driver in the back of his mind knows when he is not driving correctly/properly. The mess on our road is due to lax enforcement and allowing all kinds of road worthy / unworthy vehicles at the same time.

On our roads there is no fear for the law. Especially when the law can be bought at such though away prices.

Anyways I can go on and on about bicycles, rickshaws, auto rickshaws, goods carrying auto rickshaws, rickshaws and trucks carrying pipes & sarias 2 to 3 times their own length, broken down trucks which pass thru nearly every city at night & the best of them all broken down DTC Buses on every 2nd flyover, these are the new DTC buses I am talking about.

Unless there is segregation / enforcement things are going to be the same for all time to come.

Hope I was making sense & sorry for my pessimism.
Old 18th June 2019, 23:12   #12
BHPian

In a very surprising and ill considered move, govt is planning to remove the minimum educational qualifications required to get a driving license link
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 00:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
In a very surprising and ill considered move, govt is planning to remove the minimum educational qualifications required to get a driving license
I agree with you, but a lot don't - surprising for a forum where road safety and driving sense is supposedly held in high regard. Only selfishly though, restricted to airbags, pretensioners, and child seat anchors.

The government seems to be of the same mindset as many here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...literates.html

Most Viewed