Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2020, 22:47   #151
BHPian

Re: Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?

I own a 2017 Tata Tiago with 80k on the odo.
Lately have started hearing some knock( tak tak) sounds from the front left end. TASS recommends changing suspension bushes, linkage rods and ball joints. Inner and outer (?) can be kept stock for now. Approx expenses 6-7k incl labour.

Any thoughts on the same?
Old 17th October 2020, 05:52   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
TASS recommends changing suspension bushes, linkage rods and ball joints.
Are all those parts worn out? Or is the ASC just guessing? Randomly changing parts without a thorough diagnosis is a good way to burn cash.

You’re better off going to a trusted FNG for this.

Reposting - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4909848 (Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?)
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 06:41   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own a 2017 Tata Tiago with 80k on the odo.
Lately have started hearing some knock( tak tak) sounds from the front left end. TASS recommends changing suspension bushes, linkage rods and ball joints. Inner and outer (?) can be kept stock for now. Approx expenses 6-7k incl labour.

Any thoughts on the same?
Is your car under warranty? What's the mileage on your current set of tyres? Do you notice any uneven signs of wear and tear on the tyres, specifically the front left? When was the last wheel alignment and balancing done?

Take it to a wheel alignment center and they should be able to ascertain if the linkages (tie-rod & ball joints) are in good shape. Also, check if your shock absorber has any leakage.

Lastly, have you been driving through a lot of slush lately? If yes, chances are it's only the dirt piled around the suspension. Get the car washed underneath.
Old 17th October 2020, 06:58   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Are all those parts worn out? Or is the ASC just guessing? Randomly changing parts without a thorough diagnosis is a good way to burn cash.

You’re better off going to a trusted FNG for this.

Reposting - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4909848 (Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?)
I asked the TASS SA to take a test ride and before even getting out of the gate we could hear the noise and he commented a list of suspension related parts to be replaced. So, NO, no inspection was done.
I did see the comment and video. I had gotten the bushes replaced about 25k kms ago when the tyres were replaced.
Shall get an independent verification done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Is your car under warranty? What's the mileage on your current set of tyres? Do you notice any uneven signs of wear and tear on the tyres, specifically the front left? When was the last wheel alignment and balancing done?

Take it to a wheel alignment center and they should be able to ascertain if the linkages (tie-rod & ball joints) are in good shape. Also, check if your shock absorber has any leakage.

Lastly, have you been driving through a lot of slush lately? If yes, chances are it's only the dirt piled around the suspension. Get the car washed underneath.
The car's still under extended warranty but running wear and tear items aren't covered. Tyres were replaced at about 50k kms. So about 30k kms running. No abnormal wear out has been seen as of now. SA warned that there might be now that suspension seems to be faulty.
No leakage or abnormal bounce on pressure.
Will take it to the wheel alignment centre for additional information. Last it was done about 10k kms ago during the unlock 1.
Haven't driven through any slush or ruts IMO but never, will wash thoroughly. Anyway going hometown today where there is a provision of a powerwash.

Thanks guys.
Will get back to you by Monday.
Old 17th October 2020, 10:06   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky_1002 View Post
Thanks much Sir! Could you please share contact details of Vijay/New Basha?
Happy to help!

Royal Wheel Alignment (Ex New Basha tech)
Jakkuru, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560064
099808 65483
https://maps.app.goo.gl/YXr6bhhBpCkPtfCz6
Owner himself does the work.

Vijay Alignment Center
301, 15th Cross Rd, 5th Phase, Jeewan Griha Colony, 2nd Phase, J. P. Nagar, Bagaloru, Karnataka 560078
080 2659 4313
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SS1nUF2augKt9y3j8

I have a contact in there Vinod: 9741897612 who takes care of my vehicles.

For Sireesh auto, you can ask the supervisor Nethaji in Singasandra to inspect your vehicle and test drive it if you are in for suspension work. For SA ask for Murali.

Last edited by Kosfactor : 17th October 2020 at 10:08.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 17:44   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
The problem is with the camber. Your front left camber is way out. So you already have got new ball joints and suspension bushes installed ? In a Bolero, camber can be adjusted by adding /removing shims at the upper arm. I reckon, you will have to add one to the left side upper arm, and remove the thinnest shim from the right. Your camber will be ok and the uneven tyre wear-out will stop.
Thanks much for your advice Sir! I did get that part now, the ball joints and suspension bushes have been replaced, hope the problem should be resolved now. I was not that technically sound to advise so went with the advise of Bosch folks to replace the suspension bushes/ball joints etc. retained the coil springs and shockers.

This was the 2nd time I had been to Bosch since it was close to my place, 1st time was general service which was good and cheaper than Mahindra A.S.S. However this time I do feel Bosch folks have overcharged on labor wherein for around 6.8K worth was parts and they had charged around 12K in labor , I had a hard time reasoning with 'em on the same post which it was reduced to 8K, paid around 15K in total. They had charged 1800 for an AC issue which is still not fixed despite the car being with 'em for three days, giving vague reasons for not fixing and saying we can try but it can't be 100% since the car is too old and run 97K, reduced it to 700 after much talks. They had initially quoted 5.5K in parts + 3-4K labor, whereas Sireesh Auto Mahindra had given 12K for entire suspension parts + 4K for labor. I think it would better off to stick with Sireesh despite the distance and have better peace of mind. Attaching a few pics for reference.

Even after spending this much I got back the car with rattles and squeaks which were not there before, the suspension also making some kadaaak-2 sound on normal roads feels like as though the bushes are made of wood instead of rubber, would need to visit again to get it sorted. Besides need to get the AC checked elsewhere, post a water wash in the engine bay, AC cooling has dropped and so has the blower speed, no leaks were found and AC gas was topped. This is second time in two months same AC issue has popped up, last time it was fixed with a thermostat replace and AC gas refill in Snow Air, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad. If anyone can please suggest a good AC expert in Bangalore, preferably near Whitefield who can check and fix the AC issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?-img_20201014_163726-1.jpg  

Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?-img_20201014_180858__01__01.jpg  

Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?-inkedimg_20201016_205659__01_li.jpg  

Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?-img_20201016_205705__01.jpg  

Last edited by Shanky_1002 : 19th October 2020 at 17:47.
Old 19th October 2020, 23:54   #157
Senior - BHPian

My Civic's suspension gave way at 1.2 lakh kms. And I ended up changing the front struts 3 times till I clocked 2 lakh kms ( mainly owing to them being aftermarket parts), till I finally installed Honda OEM shock absorbers. They served me well till I sold the car.
Old 20th October 2020, 09:39   #158
BHPian

I had my 1999 santro ( bought at 17k kms in 2001) suspensions work flawlessly until I sold her off at 95k in 2004.
Bought my zen Lx brand new the same year. Her current odo is at 280k kms. As far as I recall, first set of suspension arms , bushes etc were replaced at 80k kms. Next set did last until 140k kms. This was probably when rear dampers were changed too. Since then , she has required a suspension job every 40 k kms or so. I had more than one of my FNG guy tell me the quality of most of the ancillaries in a factory car seems to be better as they tend to last more than same OEM purchased from market/ASS later on.
Further, my current Honda city ZX 2018 is at 49k and so far I havent had any complaints even occasionally. Between 2001 and 2020, the roads have transformed a lot but that has also increased the average and max speeds of vehicles. It would be interesting to know how much my current car suspensions serve me with much better roads and a car thats 2 or 3 segments higher.

Last edited by Entsurgeon : 20th October 2020 at 09:56.
Old 26th October 2020, 14:10   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Lately have started hearing some knock( tak tak) sounds from the front left end. TASS recommends changing suspension bushes, linkage rods and ball joints.
Ended up going to CK Motocorp at Katraj, Pune for 3rd party inspection and analysis. They replaced the stabiliser link rod (oem manufacturing at 700/- bucks) 300/- labour charge rounded off to 1000 bucks for a peaceful drive.
Have run about 150kms post the change and I must say, work seems well done, with improved steering handling observed.
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 21:17   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
I own a pre worshipped Honda Amaze AT (2014). Stock suspension lasted 55k kms. Got it replaced last month. There's a day and night difference.
Did guy replace with OeM at Honda ?

If not please advise which brand to go for ?
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 22:21   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Did guy replace with OeM at Honda ?

If not please advise which brand to go for ?
The FNG owner uses only OEM. The difference was the use of suspension spacers or "comfort rubber" as he called it. They costed me around 6000 for a set of 4. I have uploaded pictures of the bill on the Honda Amaze (first gen) thread.

Hope this helps.
Old 7th December 2020, 14:05   #162
BHPian

I drive a Linea Classic Plus Multijet. Done 56000 kms in 4 years of ownership. Lately i am finding the drive very unsettling on bad roads. The suspension is making clear sounds even on the smallest of potholes. On rough patches of roads i feel as if i am driving a car with a wooden suspension. I drive fast and corner hard as and when roads permit. I clearly remember raving about the suspension being butter smooth when the car was new. It is just not like that now. All tyres are new Goodyears changed recently.

What do i need to get checked? Suspension is made of several components and i am sure if i visit the ASS they will suggest an entire overhaul and tell me to replace most components. I want to get the work done at the ASS only for the OEM components, work quality and short term warranty they give on the new parts. Also, gives me a chance to escalate if anything goes wrong.

Could it be something as simple as loose suspension bolts? Does suspension have bolts in the first place? If yes, will tightening them suffice? Could it be a case of bad link rods, strut pads (elastic pads), lower arms, springs, struts or something much cheaper like few bushes that have worn out? How do i identify the exact component that has failed?

Look forward to your suggestions. I just dont feel like taking the car out like this with that harsh ride quality. I am also getting a sore back after driving these days. Can somebody in Mumbai help me in identifying what's exactly wrong with my car's suspension?

Last edited by bharatbits : 7th December 2020 at 14:08.
Old 7th December 2020, 14:10   #163
Senior - BHPian

Our swift diesel's suspension was working great till 60k km, for the past 10k the car had to tackle lot of bad roads and looks like front right shocks has given up.

Will have it replaced during next service. Hope it doesn't cost too much.
Old 7th December 2020, 14:22   #164
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Our swift diesel's suspension was working great till 60k km, for the past 10k the car had to tackle lot of bad roads and looks like front right shocks has given up.

Will have it replaced during next service. Hope it doesn't cost too much.
While replacing the suspension, get both sides changed at a time if possible and buy it as a 'set'. Maruti sells the whole front suspension assembly as a set which includes the strut, spring, boot etc. No need to buy the individual child parts and assemble, it is available as a complete assembled set.

Should be around 3-3.5K per side.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 22:58   #165
BHPian

I have i20 Asta and its suspension is fine. ODO reading in 45000 km. Condition of road is good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks