Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2020, 17:34   #136
BHPian

Re: Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
2014 Fluidic Verna CRDI

2.05L kms still on stock suspension. I got it checked at HASS and they said it’s good to go for more.

Confused
2.35L kms and still on STOCK suspension and clutch. My car does duty everywhere - Bengaluru roads, expressways, state highways, rural roads, native off-roading etc.
drhoneycake is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 17:49   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
2.35L kms and still on STOCK suspension and clutch. My car does duty everywhere - Bengaluru roads, expressways, state highways, rural roads, native off-roading etc.
My 2013 Fluidic CRDi had one rear strut changed under warranty at 40k KM. Apart from that, the suspension was untouched till I sold the car at 1.10 lakh KM - and didn't require a replacement in the near future according to ASS!
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 17:05   #138
BHPian

Dear All, I need advice with regards to the suspension in my Mahindra Bolero. It's a 2014 SLX and has run 97K Kms, I had the original stock MRF Wanderer AT's last around 75K kms before I replaced all five tyres. Now there is an issue with the suspension due to which the front tyres are shredding off on the inside (probably due to negative camber). Recently on a trip I went for a wheel alignment in Mahindra A.S.S Chhatarpur MP since car was pulling left, the alignment person told that the entire suspension is gone and needs to be replaced since there is no scope for any further alignment left, parts which he suggested to be replaced: link rods, link rod bush, tie rod end, lower arm bush kit, upper arm bush kit, intermediate shaft, coil springs, inner ball joints etc. total estimate of around 17-20K including labor . He did the wheel alignment twice but couldn't get it right, car is pulling right afterwards and steering wheel is also off-center, which he mentioned that it cannot be fixed due to the suspension issue. I was skeptical on getting the work done in Chhatarpur so I came back to Bangalore and went to Mahindra A.S.S ITPL. Initially I just asked 'em to check the suspension etc. as a preventive measure since I had a 4000km road trip upcoming in November. To my surprise the chief mechanic said everything is fine, no problem in the suspension. I asked him to raise the car further and asked him about the rubber bushes and rubber boot that was seen cut, called the GM as well, he also mentioned it is ok, nothing to worry you can run another 7k-10K kms on it and change in next service. Then I showed him my shredded tyres towards the inner side which I had rotated to rear right and one to the spare on the boot and the alignment issue. He told to get the alignment report which did show some issue, however they are not sure as to which components of the suspension is at fault and what needs to be done. I visited the Whitefield Mahindra A.S.S as well, same vague suggestions on one by one suspension parts replacement and no estimate on price as well. I then visited Bosch service center in Kadugodi and asked the SA to check and replace the worn out rubber bushes/rubber boot and change the ball joint as a preventive measure. He gave me an estimate of around 5K, 1800 for bush kit, 900 for lathe charges, 1950 for labor and 500 for alignment. Post changing the bushes etc. at Bosch, I'll be going to Jamathis tyres for a couple of new Wanderer AT's and Madhus for wheel alignment and balancing. Is this suspension issue diagnose approach correct? I'm attaching few pics of the suspension and the alignment report for easy reference. Visibly I cannot see any damage to the suspension/coil springs/tie rods/lower arm etc. apart from the cut rubber bushes, car has taken no hit anywhere and has been driven sanely solely by me on highways and occasional bad roads one encounters en-route. Could anyone please guide as to what suspension component is at fault here and needs to be fixed/replaced? Many Thanks in anticipation!

Mods please merge the post to the right thread if this ain't. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?-img_20200831_175352.jpg  

Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?-img_20200831_175409.jpg  

Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?-img_20201013_103245.jpg  

Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?-img_20201013_103308.jpg  

Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?-img_20201013_103329.jpg  

Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?-img_20201013_113657.jpg  

Old 13th October 2020, 17:24   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky_1002 View Post
Recently on a trip I went for a wheel alignment in Mahindra A.S.S Chhatarpur MP since car was pulling left, the alignment person told that the entire suspension is gone and needs to be replaced since there is no scope for any further alignment left, parts which he suggested to be replaced: link rods, link rod bush, tie rod end, lower arm bush kit, upper arm bush kit, intermediate shaft, coil springs, inner ball joints etc. total estimate of around 17-20K including labor .
Is the vehicle running wide / offset alloys?

Take the vehicle to Ananth Cars \ Sireesh Auto - ask them to inspect the under carriage, find out what all have gone wrong and needs replacement. Most likely the ball joints \ tie rod ends and stabilizer \ antiroll bar bushes. The ball joints and tie rods ends are not cheap, others are inexpensive. Replace these things, take it to Vijay \ New Basha - folks who use the manual alignment machine not digital \ 3d. Let them align the suspension as well as replace the fully worn out tyre. That should do it.

Remember to always do the alignment with manual machines at least every 10K Kms.
Old 13th October 2020, 18:03   #140
BHPian

Yes Sir, it has HRS Alloys however it's been there since last 6 years but had no issues till date. I was going to Sireesh Magadi road for last 5 years and was really happy with their service ever since I moved to a new place it became quite far now, I'll check with 'em as well. I usually do get the alignment done at each service and before any long trip. However this time I happened to notice it only when the damage was done.
Thanks much for the pointers Sir, appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails
Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?-14115510_10154432486764414_6018560979372392990_o.jpg  

Last edited by Shanky_1002 : 13th October 2020 at 18:07.
Old 13th October 2020, 18:13   #141
BHPian

I own a pre worshipped Honda Amaze AT (2014). Stock suspension lasted 55k kms. Got it replaced last month. There's a day and night difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?-screenshot_20200929164608134_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg  

Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?-screenshot_20200929164611616_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg  

Old 16th October 2020, 08:12   #142

I have a 2008 model WagonR F10D with 43K on its odo. The car is still tight and has not given me any major trouble. Lately there was some rattling sound from front LHS and the same was shown to a FNG. He informed that front LHS has gone kaput and needed replacement.

Now comes the question, should i replace both the front suspension at once? Won't replacing only one side cause the condition of the other to degrade quickly?
Old 16th October 2020, 10:06   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBallack View Post
I have a 2008 model WagonR F10D with 43K on its odo. The car is still tight and has not given me any major trouble. Lately there was some rattling sound from front LHS and the same was shown to a FNG. He informed that front LHS has gone kaput and needed replacement.

Now comes the question, should i replace both the front suspension at once? Won't replacing only one side cause the condition of the other to degrade quickly?
Preferably both sides together.

I did replace my right shock absorber on the Vista after hitting a large crater (12 feet long and a foot deep) filled with water on a rainy night at speed on the highway. It broke the oil seal. Thankfully, 40,000 kms later, there has been no adverse effect and the rest of the suspension is still OE at 1,64,500 kms.
Old 16th October 2020, 10:26   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You should change them in pairs if they are pretty old and used. In your case 43k and 12 years is old enough.

But before you change the shock absorber, check the source of rattle sound. In my experience, a weak or worn strut does not cause a rattle. It is more of a muted kad kad sound. Maybe the root cause of the noise is something else.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 10:26   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Preferably both sides together.
Unlike tyres or brake pads, you don’t need to replace the shocks/struts in pairs, if money is tight. However, unless it was an accidental repair like above, it’s a good idea to replace both the front or rear or all 4 if it’s worn due to usage/age. The reason being if 1 has worn, the other one/s are not far behind and it will save you the labour charges of the job + wheel alignment charges each time you disturb the suspension calibration during alignment.

Also, use good quality or OEM replacement parts if you want good ride quality & long lasting performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
But before you change the shock absorber, check the source of rattle sound. In my experience, a weak or worn strut does not cause a rattle. Maybe the root cause of the noise is something else.
Precisely, it may well be the rubber bushing/mount which sits at the top of the tower, which has cracked.

A good guide to check for suspension wear -

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 16th October 2020 at 10:51.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 10:50   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky_1002 View Post
Dear All, I need advice with regards to the suspension in my Mahindra Bolero. It's a 2014 SLX and has run 97K Kms, I had the original stock MRF Wanderer AT's last around 75K kms before I replaced all five tyres. Now there is an issue with the suspension due to which the front tyres are shredding off on the inside (probably due to negative camber). Recently on a trip I went for a wheel alignment in Mahindra A.S.S Chhatarpur MP since car was pulling left, the alignment person told that the entire suspension is gone and needs to be replaced since there is no scope for any further alignment left, parts which he suggested to be replaced: link rods, link rod bush, tie rod end, lower arm bush kit, upper arm bush kit, intermediate shaft, coil springs, inner ball joints etc. total estimate of around 17-20K including labor .
The problem is with the camber. Your front left camber is way out. So you already have got new ball joints and suspension bushes installed ? In a Bolero, camber can be adjusted by adding /removing shims at the upper arm. I reckon, you will have to add one to the left side upper arm, and remove the thinnest shim from the right. Your camber will be ok and the uneven tyre wear-out will stop.

In a Bolero, the weakest link in the front suspension is the lower arm ball joint. If it pops out, you will have the vehicle rest on its chassis.
And never trust these fancy computerised wheel alignment shops. All they care is about toe, and that's all they can adjust and its alignment all done.
Attached Thumbnails
Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?-img_20201013_113657.jpg  

jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 10:50   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2008 model WagonR F10D with 43K on its odo. The car is still tight and has not given me any major trouble. Lately there was some rattling sound from front LHS and the same was shown to a FNG.
Suspension constitutes of several parts. Lower arm, Spring, Struts..etc to name a few main ones. So "suspension needs a replacement" is a vague statement.

40K Kms is not quite high for the major parts to go kaput, unless you have abused it. Very likely it is as simple as bushes of that must have gone bad, which is cheap to replace. Insist the mechanic to take a look at the bushes and also diagnose what exactly as gone bad.
Old 16th October 2020, 11:41   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
It is more of a muted kad kad sound. Maybe the root cause of the noise is something else.
Pardon my ignorance but it indeed is a muted khad khad sound and it has been nagging me whenever I drive her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Also, use good quality or OEM replacement parts if you want good ride quality & long lasting performance.
Thanks for your advice. Mechanic is recommending Monroe shocks and struts as MGP store is closed for a week due to the pandemic and I need the car ready to go as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Suspension constitutes of several parts. Lower arm, Spring, Struts..etc to name a few main ones. So "suspension needs a replacement" is a vague statement.

40K Kms is not quite high for the major parts to go kaput, unless you have abused it. Very likely it is as simple as bushes of that must have gone bad, which is cheap to replace. Insist the mechanic to take a look at the bushes and also diagnose what exactly as gone bad.
Sorry for not being specific. The struts have started leaking and there is a bouncing effect when pressure is applied on LHS.

So I think rather than the mileage, the age of vehicle has taken it's toll.
Old 16th October 2020, 11:53   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance but it indeed is a muted khad khad sound and it has been nagging me whenever I drive her.
Ok. Since you have mentioned the struts are leaking then obviously they are shot. Also check the link rods/stabilizer rods. If they develop play , you get a similar sound. Change both the struts.

Monroe in India are just average. I would suggest you go with MGP. You have waited this long. Waiting for a week more is OK i believe.
Old 16th October 2020, 22:16   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Is the vehicle running wide / offset alloys?

take it to Vijay \ New Basha - folks who use the manual alignment machine not digital \ 3d. Let them align the suspension as well as replace the fully worn out tyre. That should do it.
Thanks much Sir! Could you please share contact details of Vijay/New Basha?

Most Viewed