Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2007, 10:03   #31
BHPian

I think the suspensions should last for about 75000 km in normal driving conditions on surfaced roads (with and without potholes). If driven with maximum load (or overloaded conditions), then suspensions may pack up as early as 20000 km.
Old 25th September 2007, 10:53   #32
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think 50,000 kms is a reasonable life, and one that is true with most cars. You may drive beyond that but I doubt the suspension is really performing at an optimum level.
I agree. I have been lving with small suspension noises for the last 15000 kms or so, and my car has done 58000 kms now.

This Friday I pushed my Santro as usual on the way to Mumbai on the Expressway and I was scared out of my wits as the car bounced around (sickening thud sound) and veered at the slightest hint of bumpiness on the road, with horrible vibrations from the steering column. Even while braking the vibrations could be felt. The car failed to track as reliably as usual around corners and I genuinely feared for my life for the first time in over 45000 kms. I took the car to National Motors (authorized Hyundai dealers) in Bandra-Kurla complex, and all they could do was reduce the tyre pressures from 35 psi to 30 psi, pinning that as the reason.

I was not convinced. Upon coming back from Mumbai I threw away the 24000 kms old S322 tubeless tyres; the spare had a bulge and one of the tyres had worn beyond the tread-wear indicator. I went for Turanza ER-60 tyres as my tyre dealer advised me that they are better than Michelins on bad roads and the Expressway concrete. Upon taking the car for alignment, the mechanic (Unitread tyres, Pune, and ex-Sanjay Hyundai employeee) told me that the left shock absorber was leaking and both shocks were weak and needed to be replaced. He said there was no point in doing the alignment without replacing shocks and doing the suspension work. Toe-in and toe-out were at negative values, whereas they needed to be positive. He advised me to take the car to Sanjay Hyundai (which is Hyundai's own workshop) rather than my local garage or National Motors in Mumbai.

So that's why the car was bouncing around and veering on rough roads. The shocks are shot. Tomorrow I have to get up early and drive all the way to Bhosari, where Sanjay Hyundai is located. I am turning in the car for suspension, clutch, steering column and AC overhaul. I guess my over-enthusiastic driving style + low offset 5J alloys (offset 26 mm against 46 mm of stock 4J alloys). may have increased wear and tear on suspension+steering components. Plus the roads on the Mumbai-Pune route and in both cities are terrible in the monsoon season, although this time they are much better than in the previous couple of years.

I am going to ask them to make the car as good as new. No flinching at this essential expenditure.

Last edited by rks : 25th September 2007 at 10:58.
Old 25th September 2007, 11:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
This is a subjective question with no exact answer.

We all know that the suspension wear would differ from user to user, depending on certain basic things like:

- Condition of roads they regularly drive on: Obviously a person who only ever drives his car on a cities best roads will probably never have a problem!
- Loading of the car: It makes a difference if it is a sole, privately driven car or if its regularly used for large group outings with luggage packed to capacity
- Driving style: Boy racer taking every corner like it’s the last corner before the finish line compared to a middle aged business man more interested in yapping on his phone than driving.
- Type/design of suspension: Your basic MM540 with live axles and leaf springs all around has less to go wrong compared to a Skoda Octavia’s multi link rear and Mc.Pherson struts with wishbones on the front.
Basically what I’m asking is what do you as an owner expect out of the suspension on your new car? How long do you think it should last before you begin hearing that dreaded knocking sound of worn bushings or worse, your struts. Look at your own driving style and conditions and put down what you think would be a fair estimate as to suspension life for your current car. It could be maybe 30,000 km’s or 80,000 km’s. Also, did you car deliver to your expectations?

As most manufacturers always tell us that their particular model has “Indianised” suspension, lets see how true this statement of theirs holds.
Yes I like this. Was thinkin of starting the topic and found urs.

My Opel drives on interstate routes and on bad roads of Kolkata. Sometime sound do throw up...but its always been the front suspension works all the time.... as I drive single without luggage generally.
Old 25th September 2007, 12:34   #34
BHPian

My Original Esteem "Frirst series of esteem to hit India" has dones over 1 lac km and now its starting to give some issues..
Old 25th September 2007, 19:37   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

It really depends on the condition the car is being driven through.
i'd expect -
Fiesta - I am guessing 60 - 70Kkm
Corolla - Gone!!! in less than 50Kkm but that is just due to the flimsy build.
Sonata - changed at 60Kkm
Accord - changed a few parts at around 50 - 60kkm
Merc - I am hoping and guessing around 60Kkm.

Other cars that we've owned
Ikon - around 50Kkm
Palio - 45Kkm but this was on really bad roads (post 26/7 roads daily from Malabar hill to Juhu)
Old 25th September 2007, 19:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynmantis
Another thing. Went to a local part dealer. He showed me shocks, said it imported from taiwan costing around INR.1100 per piece. Any comment on that? I'm not eager to go for unknown brand.
The original struts at Ford Service cost a few hundred more.
So, DONT go for the taiwanese shocks.
Old 25th September 2007, 19:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
It's the shaft, better have it attended, could be serious.
I think it could be the bearing. Used to get mine fixed from a local mechanic (Kheraat wala). Ask your local mechanic first i would say.
Old 26th September 2007, 11:40   #38
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I agree. I have been lving with small suspension noises for the last 15000 kms or so, and my car has done 58000 kms now.
[...]
So that's why the car was bouncing around and veering on rough roads. The shocks are shot.
Confirmed at Sanjay Hyundai -- shock absorbers (front and rear) need to be replaced. Otherwise suspension is fine. Steering column also needs some replacements (maybe tie rod, I didn't quite catch what he said), as it was rattling on rough roads or under fast cornering. Cutch overhauling being done at 58000 kms. Clutch seems fine except for some judder in heavy start/stop traffic, but Sanjay Hyundai advised to do the overhauling now to prevent unanticipated failure.

I am wondering if the excessive tyre pressures that I was running (35 psi against recommended 30 psi) had an adverse effect on the shockers.
Old 27th September 2007, 08:58   #39
BHPian

I would expect at least 60,000km on an average and about 85,000km if the driving is 99% within the city or on great roads, though heaven knows the hell we go through on our potholed city roads every monsoon.

My 1997 M800 - Only done 32K km (we hardly use it) - Has a terribly hard ride. I'm not sure if its the shocks that are shot or the leafs have hardened, but the ride is really stiff. The local mechanic told me it's the bushes that need replacement, but the problem seems to be more than that.

My 1993 M1000 - started giving this loud 'thud' sound at the rear at about 57K km. Had the bushes, shocks and coils replaced. I dont recall if I did it only at the rear or all 4. Have done another 60K km since then, and no sign of the suspensions giving in. A lot else has begun to feel sick though.

My 1988 MM540 Jeep - I bought it when it had already done close to 100K km. As with all 540's it was ridculously stiff till we loaded 6 people in it. Did another 50K km before I sold it, at least 5% of that on some serious off-road terrain, but no work on the suspension.
Old 27th September 2007, 10:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

30 thousand km was the first suspension job in my maruti 800 but this was because of the trip to ladakh/leh bla bla which spoilt the suspension of an almost brand new 800 then so it did not last for long.
The next suspension job was at 70000 km.
So basically around 40 kk to 45 kk is the max it lasts in my case.
Old 27th September 2007, 11:48   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
My 1988 MM540 Jeep - I bought it when it had already done close to 100K km. As with all 540's it was ridculously stiff till we loaded 6 people in it. Did another 50K km before I sold it, at least 5% of that on some serious off-road terrain, but no work on the suspension.
Oh...I wasn't aware that MM540 comes with suspensions
Old 27th September 2007, 14:20   #42
BHPian

My Indica got its first suspension overhaul at 82K Km. I usually corner as fast as the conditions allow, but take care when over riding bumps or on uneven roads and the car has been overloaded very rarely. After the overhaul, it's been almost 2K Km and I have no issue with the suspension.
Old 27th September 2007, 15:22   #43

my optra has done 40K km and no prbs at all

swift has done 12k km and no prbs
Old 27th September 2007, 16:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The original struts at Ford Service cost a few hundred more.
So, DONT go for the taiwanese shocks.
Thanks nitrous! will keep that in mind.
Old 27th September 2007, 17:00   #45
BHPian

Gosh you guys are tough on your cars, i sold my Santro 6 months ago after clocking 1L kms and never ever did i hear any thud or bump from it.

You guys got to take care of suspension and only then the noises from interior and exterior can be avoided.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks