Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2006, 15:45   #1

Facts about my Scorpio

Hello guys!!
This is one great forum you all have. Been here only a couple of days and thought i should participate in it.

Before we begin, a Kudhos to GTO,Chaxy, man23ish, sjcherian and all other guys puttin on facts about their cars. Iam here to tell my side of story and get you guys opinion.

Well, it started around 2001, where i used to buy auto magazines and running thru every page to find more information about the details and launch of the scorpio.
There you go- upon the launch, i was one of the first guys to book a Metallic sivler scorpio turbo 2.6. Got the prized posseion and was happier since then. Now, to best points over the car is this.
1. It has a macho look.
2. Boosted my social status
3. Good suv, in the period 2002-2004
4. did a couple of long trips and was proving me that this is the car.

After an year of running, the follwing problems surfaced.
1.There was some unique sound coming from the hood. i contacted the service center and they said, its a hydro gear problem. They changed the gears Free of cost as the car was within warranty.
2. Had a rattling sound in the steering and hence the service center replaced the Steering intermitent shaft without any cost.

Now the major thing comes up. Even before warranty expired, i was shouting all along with the service center about the braking problems i had. They just would change the brake pads every time and the car would do good for a month or so. Now my warranty expires.

I thought this problem would get rectified once i change all the drums and so on. Upon further digging on the braking system of scorpio, i found that the earlier models released were having a lower range of booster that would fuel oil into the cylinder kits for braking. Now this would give out lesser pressuer and so braking is not proper.

After hearing this, my plans for any more long trips ended there. I was running around to find a modification to the vehicle. They said, its impossible to change as the newer scorpios are coming with a different kind of braking system.

Because iam the proud first owner of the car, i need to take the burnt of these production issues. After this slowly, clutch issues came up. suspension joints were replaced and i have been spending a chunk of money in maintaining the car.

When i recently contacted the service center, i got this suggestion. Why having this old piece of vehicle. sell it off and buy another CRDE scorpio.
I have a following in my mind. Iam happier about bolero, scorpio mahindras developed. So am trying to stick on with any of these. Please put in your thoughts on this.
1. Whether to sell the existing vehicle and buy a latest bolero.
2. Whether to sell the existing vehicle and buy a old bolero.
3. Whether to keep the vehicle and wait for the new suv Ingenio.
4. Whether to sell the vehicle and look for some other branded suv in TATA,Toyota etc.

The reason i wrote about my car is, you all have to know what problems scorpios are having.
BTW dont guess more on my name. I was trying to find a name and ULYTEL was my Desktop phone model. So kept it that way.
Old 5th July 2006, 17:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Ulytel, welcome. Your post brings up the old point again - no matter which Indian auto manufcaturer, looks like we need to wait for the product to stabilize before buying it ..

I would say that after the Scorpio, you would find the Bolero to be much too simple, and cheaper .. . My guess is you wouldnt like the feautres and the construction of the Bolero. You would be moving down the chain. You could check up on the new Scorpio, esp since you like the model, and the new ones dont seem to have such problems. Our friends here who have the newer Scorpio would defn give you better, more qualified inputs ..
Old 10th July 2006, 15:20   #3

You are one way right condor. I had been thinking of moving down the chain. But happened to find that Bolreo's maintenance is uttlely low and has rugged/jeepish construction. Its still has the qoute"Value for money".

Well I would be much interested, if anybody throws some light on the new project Ingenio. I had been searching around. but couldnt fine more info on this.
Old 11th July 2006, 15:40   #4
BHPian

Hi ulytel, as far as the news from within M& M is , the project seems to be atleast 2 yrs before you see any real action .
Old 11th July 2006, 16:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulytel
Well I would be much interested, if anybody throws some light on the new project Ingenio. I had been searching around. but couldnt fine more info on this.
If newspaper reports are to be believed, they are scouting for land in Tamilnadu for the Ingenu (not sure about spelling) project.
Old 11th July 2006, 18:11   #6
BHPian

forget about long trips in a bolero unless you want a bone jarring escapade.

Sadly, there are not many choices when it comes to SUV in India, The safari looks hopeless, and the performance is not great, No toyota SUV yet unless you want to go for an innova.

Hyundai Tuscon is good, but the price is way higher.
Old 12th July 2006, 10:46   #7
BHPian

M&M Ingenio

M&M Ingenio will be a MUV pitched against the Innova and Tavera. Not an option for SUV prospects!
Old 12th July 2006, 12:40   #8
BHPian

Ulytel, option 4 seems to be good for me. After closely watching Varunroy's issue with TATA SUV i request you to be a bit cautious. Innova is the best buy from my point of view, if you can stretch your budget a bit.
Old 13th July 2006, 14:29   #9
BHPian

May be i had posted this in the wrong header!.

Hi guys,
I picked up my new scorpio crde in sep'05 after selling away my bolero after 3 yrs of ownership.
I love my new scorpio engine, getting mileage of 12.11 in highway with full a/c but i also need to share the following,this is besides the points which have been dealt at length here.
2 months back a small stick fell down from the tree under which it was parked and a dent happened on the bonnet.I was shocked,Soln-Entire bonnet tinkered,repainted.
Two days back i took the car for a water wash.The boy there climbed to rub the soap water and immediately complained of 2 dents where his heel was planted cropped up.I argued with his owner.He countered me saying that that is how they clean all SUV's.
An official source confirms that the gauge of metals used nowadays is getting thinner.
My bolero had a small dent after a share auto rammed from behind and his entire front was ripped off,that was the quality of build.
Is quality getting compromised!.

I have written to mahindras'.I do not expect a reply.
So much so for value addition and increasing ownership costs.

cheers.
Old 13th July 2006, 14:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well, the sheet metal itself basically adds weight. The steel cage and side impact beams, and the design of the crumple zones (cannot have very thick gauge material) is what makes the car safe, apart from anti-jamming doors etc. So its a good move if true.
Old 13th July 2006, 15:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renamo
Sadly, there are not many choices when it comes to SUV in India, The safari looks hopeless, and the performance is not great
Hey you may not like the Safari but there are a lot of us who do. Looks are subjective and so it may be better for you to say that you think it looks hopeless. I love the way it looks and performs. Its my second Safari in 5 years too.
Old 14th July 2006, 00:13   #12
BHPian

i would suggest u to go for bolero sport if you want a rugged suv
It is as spacious as the safari and powerful also
Sad to hear the quality of scorpio has degraded

But still guys this is a big question now as to which is a real good SUV available in India in the mid-price segment
Old 14th July 2006, 07:58   #13
BHPian

Ulytel: Like Condor put it. In the Indian Scenario - its always better to wait for the 2nd batch before jumping the gun. These manufacturers claim to have logged thousand's of kilometer's ..but dunno how they miss these basic issues of braking.. and that too a behemoth of an SUV. This means that they are not actually concerned about the safety and only pricing matters to them. I am speaking only of the brakes.. not the add ons like ABS / EBD / AIRBAGS. Additionally when doing the refinements in the 2nd batch they do not even think of a way to replace or suggest a modification to the ones who bought the first batch...

Can only feel sorry for you going through this ordeal. But i am sure our forum members can suggest a way out through the modification route.. which i am not aware of.

Good luck

Pugram
Old 14th July 2006, 12:10   #14
BHPian

personally i have experienced balero & though it looks not as good as scorpio u have a wonderful beast under ur tap. boasts of a wonderful A/C to compliment the long drives u wud want to undertake once u have this.

its cheap but then if u r bothered about the social status this certainly is not the vehicle for u.
Old 14th July 2006, 12:32   #15
BHPian

I would surely suggest to sell the old scorpio, and go for the latest CRDE model. it sure is great, and looks lot more better now so does performe good!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks