Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2014, 07:35   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda CR-V Diesel coming? EDIT: Now imported for R&D

Honda CR-V diesel likely in 2015

Aggressive pricing planned for Honda CR-V with 1.6 diesel, that will be locally produced.

The new CR-V engine will be a larger 1.6-litre version of the same. While the 1.5-litre engine makes 100bhp, the larger 1.6-litre will make an impressive 118bhp, this may not be anything close to the 154bhp put out by even the 2.0-litre petrol, but this engine has more torque than even the larger 2.4 petrol motor at 30.5kgm versus 23.0kgm, all the torque on the diesel coming in by 1750rpm.
The diesel will also come only in two-wheel-drive.

Prices for the diesel CR-V could start at Rs 25 lakh.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...15-373630.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th February 2014 at 07:40.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 10:03   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rumour: Honda CR-V Diesel coming in 2015. EDIT: Imported for R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda CR-V diesel likely in 2015

The new CR-V engine will be a larger 1.6-litre version of the same. While the 1.5-litre engine makes 100bhp, the larger 1.6-litre will make an impressive 118bhp,...
What?!! A 1.6L, 118 bhp SUV pitched against the likes of 2.5/3.0L 160+ bhp machines, at the same price bracket! Honda, WAKE UP !!!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th February 2014 at 10:09.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 10:26   #3
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I guess this is more of a cost saving measure, since the 1.5 lit. i-DTEC is already being manufactured here. The 1.6 lit. i-DTEC is based on the same block and with a VGT instead of an FGT.

As it is a modern monocoque, the power-to-weight ratio and performance should be close to those of the obese body-on-frame rivals. But it doesn't stand a chance when it goes up against modern monocoques with bigger engines from rival manufacturers.

If they are going to plonk the 1.6 lit. i-DTEC, then the only way it can succeed is to price it at or below ~ 2 million rupees. They can discontinue the 2 lit. petrol manual and position this as the base model with a value-for-money price tag, without compromising on the 6 airbags and ESC the current base variant offers.

If they want to price it starting at 25 lacs, then it may be hard to find takers.
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 10:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I guess this is more of a cost saving measure, since the 1.5 lit. i-DTEC is already being manufactured here. The 1.6 lit. i-DTEC is based on the same block and with a VGT instead of an FGT.
Honda is also rumored to be working on a twin turbocharger equipped version of the 1.6 liter i-DTEC engine. The twin turbo version of the diesel motor is likely to power the Accord luxury sedan. and could be launched at a later date.
Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th February 2014 at 10:29.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 10:38   #5
BHPian

The CR-V, even in the 118Bhp/30.5kgm trim will win the market hands down. The 30.5kgm is not bad, for any normal driving conditions, provided it's available from 1750 RPM onwards. It is comfortable, overall quality and reliability is very good and it will give good mileage. Once they launch it, they'll see some good numbers on the road.

The same diesel engine option is given in the UK also. The engine block and head are made in Aluminium, which reduces the weight considerably.

Most important to us Indians, the mileage figure claimed in the UK is 22.3kmpl. Isn't that impressive? If we get 17-18 in Indian conditions, it's going to rock the segment!

I'd prefer it over the Fortuner/Pajero/Outlander any day(other than for off-roading, which I don't do often), and even the X1/Q3 for many reasons of total ownership cost/experience.

If you see user reviews for the same at http://www.topgear.com/uk/honda/cr-v...-diesel-driven , everyone who bought the CR-V is satisfied with its performance. Other magazines reviews also suggest the same.

IMO the quality, reliability, comfort and ownership costs make more of the selling point than outright power/engine size.

Last edited by Joe M : 28th February 2014 at 10:54. Reason: Added detail
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 10:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I guess this is more of a cost saving measure, since the 1.5 lit. i-DTEC is already being manufactured here. The 1.6 lit. i-DTEC is based on the same block and with a VGT instead of an FGT...
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda is also rumored to be working on a twin turbocharger equipped version of the 1.6 liter i-DTEC engine. The twin turbo version of the diesel motor is likely to power the Accord luxury sedan. and could be launched at a later date...
Some how Honda gives me the wrong impression of their (lack of) knowledge about the luxury segments here. That's clear from their recent strategy of discontinuing the Civic, Accord, 1.5L diesel mill in the City and now the 1.6L decision on the CR-V (if it's true). They seem to follow the trend of wooing people with the FE more than anything else.

That strategy worked for Amaze because of the target audience. I really don't how how much people will bother about the FE in the 15L+ segment than other numbers like power / torque.

They got away with City for some reason, inspite of the noisy engine (from reviews; am yet to drive it), but I believe they would have got same numbers and more had they plonked the 1.6L 120 bhp version with 22-23 kmpl FE.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 11:10   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I would take this news with a pinch of salt.

According to my sources, the 1.6L i-DTEC was tested extensively in the new-gen Civic last year with India-grade diesel and the engine was deemed "not suitable" for Indian conditions. The 1.5L block derived from it, which powers the Amaze and the City currently, is an all-new unit which got India-specific modifications so that poor quality diesel could be used and it could run better.

If at all a 1.6L powertrain is developed for the CR-V, it won't be the existing 1.6L i-DTEC available internationally, but a modded, India-specific, all-new block based on the international 1.6L unit. That will take some time. Even if Honda has started it's development process of the 1.6L, it could be at least 2 years before we see a fully functional, tried and tested powertrain, all set to go commercial.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 11:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

The 1.6L liter mill in CRV is unrefined & viby... also as others have pointed out the norm of the segment is 2+ liter engines with at least 20% more power. I am not sure how will this be sufficient for the premium segment, considering Honda will price it over Rs.22 lacs (my guess). It may be sufficient for Europe & UK where Honda does not has premium image, but in India, it's a different ball game. Remember even Honda failed with their 1st gen Accord in India, which was similar in appearance to City of that times (year 2000-01 in India).

Moreover, the CRV has grown in size considerably & I believ the weight too has gone up a bit. I am not sure it would be sufficient for a buyer paying Rs.20 lacs plus, even if it manages good mileage numbers.

If, however, they price the Dirsel CRV top end at Rs.18-20 lacs on road, I am sure it will sell good numbers. Anything over Rs.20 lacs for the diesel mill is gross & waste of money for the 1.6L 1st gen Earth Dreams diesel.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 11:32   #9
BHPian

If the CRV is fitted with a 1.6L heart, couldnt the same be fitted into the Civic.

Moreover the 1.6L with the measly torque figures just wouldnt cut the teeth in the SUV segement. Heck even the XUV500 has better figures. I seriously doubt Honda would want to commit harakiri bringing in the 1.6 to CRV.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 11:53   #10
BHPian

The engine specs do look below par and a segment lower for sure but the real life driving experience seems to be not that bad as per UK reviews

11.2 secs for 0-100 is not at all bad
Top speed 181 kph

Performance: 11.2sec 0-62mph, 113mph
crazyro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 13:23   #11
Team-BHP Support

Personally I feel that a car that'll retail in the 27-30L zone - the D/AT, should not feel shortchanged on power. Most customers in that price range - once they're buying Diesel would not mind slightly lower FE in exchange of the increased power.

I'm not saying either way whether it will / wont do well. Just saying that its fate will not be worse if there's a slight trade off of FE in favour of better power.

While torque will provide low end grunt, which is useful, it should be good enough in the mid and top end too.
Old 6th May 2015, 16:35   #12
Team-BHP Support

If 20 lac rupee customers don't/won't buy under-powered (diesel) cars, someone please explain how the Altis D-4D manages to get any customers with that engine.

There's just no telling what resonates with the typical Indian customer: whether entry level, mid or premium.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 17:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Two magic words- "Honda" and "Diesel". Bring them together and you will see a queue. City and Amaze diesels prove this beyond all doubt.
Old 6th May 2015, 17:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Instead of bashing Honda for the 1.6 diesel engine in the CRV (if the news is true), we should look at power:weight and torque:weight ratio and the performance numbers.

If it really does 0-100 in 11 secs, I don't see many people complaining.
I doubt if the Fortunner (the king of the segment) goes any faster.
Even the Yeti 4*2 makes "only" 110 bhp and weighs nearly the same as the CRV.

When we talk of customers paying 20L or more want lots of power and bigger engines, are we forgetting the Toyota Innova (the undisputed market leader for so many years) which still runs on the age-old engine with 100 horses which screams at higher speeds? The Altis, as someone mentioned, is another example.
The 1st gen Octavia which was a huge success had measly power output if I rememmber correctly (~90 bhp ? )

IMO, CRV would make serious numbers if the diesel engine is refined and fuel efficient.
Old 6th May 2015, 17:44   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

IMO, CRV would make serious numbers if the diesel engine is refined and fuel efficient.
With the CR-V pricing I highly doubt it. The petrol 2WD touches 30 lakhs on road.

Fortuner USP is rugged, built to last, Toyota reliability and the 3.0L engine is like a train. People don't buy it for refinement but for the sheer presence and rough abuse it can take.

Innova nobody buys for engine/performance. Again toyota reliability, true 7 seater and abuse friendly.

What's the USP of CR-V? 5 seater, interiors which are strictly average for a 30L car, car is known to be heavy in spare costs, cannot take anywhere the abuse the fortuner can take (current petrol CR-V).

With diesel sales will improve but I don't see any USP the CR-V has to distinguish from this segment.

The 1.6L engine looks good on paper but the case with most downsized engines is poor driveability aka turbo lag. We have to wait and watch this aspect. The 1.5L i-DTEC is 100bhp on paper but doesn't feel like it. The 1.6L is the same engine but with longer stroke and performance bump.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks