Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2014, 00:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: More powerful Tata Aria with 150PS & 320 Nm

The Aria was a really brilliant product and I feel no obligation to exclaim it is only my opinion when I say that it is better than the Innova. If you think otherwise, please drive it!

BUT, I would like to know whether Tata has bothered to iron out the reliability concerns like what Mahindra did with the XUV500.
Old 2nd March 2014, 11:32   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
The problem with the former happening is that TM just doesn't seem to be changing fast enough or hard enough for the change in perception to occur. Design-wise after introduction of Bolt & Zest there is more promise in that dept.
One of the biggest issues faced by the Safari and now the Aria is that Tata will ignore the problems/flaws of these vehicles for years and in the same period you will see about 5 improved version of the Indica, Indigo etc. The Manza has a double DIN system with NAV, the Storme still doesn't have space for a decent double DIN !!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
BUT, I would like to know whether Tata has bothered to iron out the reliability concerns like what Mahindra did with the XUV500.
First of all they have to accept failure. This is the first step toward recovery. Then you need to come back with a bang to regain momentum, but in this highly competitive market place 3 years is too long to ignore a product. Once you get such a bad perception in the market, it is very difficult to come out especially for a company like Tata.

They should have reacted to Aria failure within 6 months of launch. Now after almost three years, there seems to be some feeble attempt at recovery.

Look at the Nissan Evalia. There were some glaring flaws like lack of dash, 2nd row window opening etc. Nissan reacted almost immediately and in about a year, they are advertising a much improved variant.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 12:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Aria was a really brilliant product and I feel no obligation to exclaim it is only my opinion when I say that it is better than the Innova. If you think otherwise, please drive it!

Well. to give credit where its due, Tata Storme has proved to be more reliable than any of its predecessors. Infact improvement is visible across vehicle categories. This is what has been shared with me by my friend, who is also the owner of Tata & Hyundai dealerships in my city. He is very positive about Tata and it's future.

At the same time, I tend to disagree with your assessment of Aria in comparison with Innova. There is a finesse in the overall dynamics and the whole thing about living with the Innova that the Aria lacks. On paper and when specs are compared in isolation, the Aria trumps its. And Aria is more capable, in the sense that it can be put to use in more scenarios than the Innova (for e.g it has 4X4 capability, for one). But the way Innova combines everything it has got, is simply not matched by the Aria. Whenever I have driven an Aria it reminds me of the Safari. And whenever I get back to my Innova after driving the Safari for some days, I can't help but appreciate how Toyota has engineered the Innova*.

Coming to the Aria, I feel the Aria would have sold much more had it, had a SUV shape. It would have been a moderate hit, if it had a SUV shape and not so great pricing. It would have been a super-hit if it had SUV shape and sensible pricing.

*My opinion is not clouded by the fact that i bought an Innova recently. Infact, there is a certain affinity that I have for Tata Motors, borne by the fact that I started driving full fledged in an Indica and owned Tata cars ever since I started buying cars (and luckily I never faced an issue, ever). And owning a Safari, like so many out there was a boyhood dream for me and I lived that for 6 years across 2 different Safaris.

Last edited by rrsteer : 2nd March 2014 at 12:37.
rrsteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 13:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

As per ACI the 150PS Aria will be launched on 12th Mar. More details here:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...12-373767.aspx

No details about the pricing are available at the moment.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 16:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Aria will sell, but only after customers are convinced of long-term reliability. Now how is that possible in the short-term. That is what is plaguing Aria. First impression is indeed the last impression in the auto-world. But I hope that Tata somehow perseveres with Aria and doesn't just listen to market voices to dump the vehicle.
After saying Arial will sell, thank you for aligning to my view. It is all about the brand, after all. To make Aria sell, rename it and launch at a much lower price, compared to the competition. When your parent brand is associated with words like "cheap", "taxy", "issues", no point in playing the premium card.

Quote:
When Ratan Tata made the famous comment about Mahindra, I thought the company is about to change it's mindset. Yet to see the change, including the media hush hush about the death of its CEO.
Old 2nd March 2014, 18:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

On paper, the ARIA always beat the Innova in many aspects. But now its getting VERY significant. Now its 1.5times more powerful, delivers 15kmpl mileage, apart from always having had 25mm more GC & Service Intervals of 15k kms (V/s 5k kms).

Apart from the AMC packages & smooth warranty claims, TATA's have actively taken up initiatives wrt servicing (ex. 'Rapid Resolutions' etc). And now the Aria holds one of the lifesaving wild-cards in their deck, i.e. VFM.

In Karnataka (Bangalore), an Innova that has ABS costs ~15.8 OTR. Although Toyota holds the 'Reliability' card, the Innova is NOT as powerful or 'Fun To Drive' as Aria. Also, it needs to be carefully handled due to its wheelbase with 180mm GC.

Toyota supposedly plan any 'major' changes only after 2016. IMO this shows how they're losing the plot. ALL they need to do is simply add a Variable Geometry/Nozzle Turbo, which will bump the power AND mileage. But their bloated ego's look determined to keep us waiting.

Also, word has gotten around about how TaMo is transforming as a company. Examples : Nano, although retaining its affordability, is now is also associated to 'Awesomeness'. People are positively excited with 'new' design offerings like Twist, Bolt & Zest. They're talking of introducing the Nexon after just 2 years!

In short, Toyota's bloated ego may just give TATA Aria the much needed push (even if its just 20% out of Innova's share).

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 2nd March 2014 at 18:50.
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 18:32   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
When your parent brand is associated with words like "cheap", "taxy", "issues", no point in playing the premium card.
Not fair buddy but yes it is the truth though but every manufacturer has the right to play premium segment like Maruti Suzuki tried with the Kizashi tough they failed too as they were badged as "FE Makers" but Tata needs to focus on ASC and their service quality to excel in their cars with good QC to avoid faults in turn increasing the reliability. If all these happen the people will buy Tata's else it will remain the 'Taxi' brand maker.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 18:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Tata should have gone the whole hog and done a 'Quanto' on the Aria. Many forums have put up photo-shopped images of what a chopped up Aria would look like, and the images are stunning. They will have to price it ridiculously low for it to sell, something under 10 lakhs on-road, if not, its going to be still born

Keeping price out of the picture, the Aria can definitely compete with the Innova, but since the Innova has got such a head-start, the Aria has to shock and awe it with pricing. The Innova is getting pretty long in the tooth, a lot of Innova Owners don't like sharing road space and workshop space with Taxi Innovas, the Aria can cash in on that because the Taxi market will not touch it with a barge pole because of all the bad print it has received so far, this could turn out to be a blessing in disguise

Wishing Tata all the best and if they listen to me and price it below 10, then I'm walking to the Bank and signing the loan papers

Tata has to look at the bigger picture. A X amount of money has been spent on the Aria project, they cannot take another hit like how they took on the Nano by shifting from West Bengal to Gujarat, they have to sell it for less than they can produce it to gain a foot-hold in the market, once the Aria gets seen on the roads, it will definitely sell. Sorry about the hindi but, couldn't put it better "Jo dikhta hai, wo biktha hai"
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 20:08   #39
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
TATA's have actively taken up initiatives wrt servicing (ex. 'Rapid Resolutions' etc).
I hope you are talking about " Rapid Resolutions - The Tata Aria Priority Assistance". I wish to hear from you that this online facility is up and running. Whenever I try to reach Tata Aria Rapid Resolution Team here, http://www.tataaria.com/rapid-resolutions, it takes me to the main official website asking me to experience the cross-over drive first.

P.S: In fact, it was me who posted the details of the Rapid Resolutions on T-BHP, last April. Here the link to the thread.
M35 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 23:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I recall the day when I walked into the TATA showroom in about 5 years ago when the Aria was launched. The leather trim and the fit and finish of the interiors were amazing for a TATA product ( then perceived bad, not any more! )

Sure, the reliability of the Toyota cannot to be questioned, but that alone does not let a product command such a premium.
Well infact reliability and unparalleled comfort is the reason Innova sells more than the Aria. Aria looks nicely built but the number of issues that plague it do not give a pride in the ownership.

Tata which is so good at space management somehow totally lost the plot in the Aria.

Hope they succeed with the new Variant.
Old 3rd March 2014, 00:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

So the Aria's new engine could find its way into Storme by year end?

The spotting of Storme with red registration plates suggests the same!
Old 3rd March 2014, 07:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
I hope you are talking about " Rapid Resolutions - The Tata Aria Priority Assistance"....
So I guess that initiative has been shelved, & you're left with the usual CustomerCare channel for complaints etc. Sad, TaMo should concentrate on trying to support current precious few loyalist customers so a good word spreads. Maybe that also explains the silence of many members here who own the Aria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
It's the same 2.2l engine with a VGT retuned to 150bhp with the refined torque curve from 1500-3000RPM, delivering 15kmpl.

Adding the spec sheet from RKG's post in the official review thread. :
More powerful Tata Aria with 150PS & 320 Nm-image.jpg

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 3rd March 2014 at 07:36. Reason: Spec image
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 09:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

There were pix on other forums with snapshots of Storme with 400Nm sticker doing tests. Hope it comes in 150bhp/400Nm version.
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:42   #44
BHPian

You know they have run out of ideas, when they start putting graphics on it.

Whatever little they have done will not be enough to renew interest on the car. Tata has to try harder.
Old 3rd March 2014, 12:32   #45
Senior - BHPian

according to the spec sheet posted 3 posts back, the color options are limited to 3?
The previous color options were 8 -
Night Shade Black, Quartz Black ,Sardinia Red , Castle Grey ,Surf Blue , Walnut Gold , Arctic Silver, Pearl White

Color choices reduced?
undead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed