Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2014, 15:00   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!

The dearth of diesel automatics in the Rs. 10 lakh & lower segments is frustrating. Diesel automatics are far more fuel-efficient than their petrol counterparts, most of which are gas guzzlers. Fact is, the Verna & Scorpio ATs are the cheapest diesel automatics you can currently buy in India. The significantly more expensive Chevy Cruze AT is your next alternative. Talk about a lack of choice!

That might change soon. A li'l birdie drops us the following information:

• VW's product planners are expected to sign off on a Vento Diesel AT soon.

• Transmission being considered is a DSG (6-Speed or 7-Speed?).

• It will be mated to the 104 BHP 1.5L TDI (scaled down version of the current 1.6L for excise benefits on the Polo).

• Expected launch in the 3rd quarter of the current year.

With VW's sales stagnating and no new products in the pipeline, the company is doing all it can to target niche segments. The Polo GT TDI & TSI DSG are proof of that. The Vento is a well-rounded sedan, superior to the Hyundai Verna in many ways. If the DSG is mated perfectly to the 1.5's power characteristics, it will become a compelling choice in the C2 sedan segment. To maximise the sales potential, VW should offer the diesel AT combination in lower trim levels too (not just the top-end Highline variant).

VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!-img_20131201_090112.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 6th March 2014 at 10:09. Reason: Correction
GTO is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 15:06   #2
BHPian

re: VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!

This sounds good but not much promising considering the top end version with Airbags may cross 10 L ex showroom cost easily which might be a deal breaker.

Also isnt this the same much famed DSG gearbox of the VW group?

I love the car, it ticks all the boxes and has a beautiful engine but reliability and pricing is a worry
Mr.Beat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 15:11   #3
BHPian

Good move by VW. The 6-speed DSG is the same one as in Jetta right? I wish VW would retain the 1.6TDI for the Vento. The mod potential of a 1.6TDI Vento with DSG would be great.
Old 4th March 2014, 15:19   #4
Team-BHP Support

Wow same gearbox as the Jetta if it's a 6 speed DSG. This is what is needed. The Polo/Vento with the new 1.5L TDI engine and this 6 speed DSG. Yum.
Old 4th March 2014, 16:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tell me when and my cheque book is ready. Having recently done 700 Kms in my Vento TDi in one day, the need for hour is an AT. With a 6 Speed DSG it would give a lot of scope of tuning as it supports upwards of 320 NM torque.
Old 4th March 2014, 16:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is a welcome move but this addition would escalate the cost of the car by a considerable margin. If VW can keep the pricing spot on then it will attract customers. Also providing this across the trims also seems unlikely as it would increase the inventory levels.
Old 4th March 2014, 16:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

A much-needed weapon in VW's armoury, this car will eat the competition alive: the only other diesel AT in this segment is the Hyundai Verna which offers a relatively tame 4-speed torque convertor that this DSG6 box will eat for breakfast. My petrol Vento AT currently at 3 years/47,500 km has served me well but at the back of my mind is the nagging thought that I have paid around 1.6 L more in fuel bills over this period. Yup- do the math yourself: even if I paid a lac additional for the TDI engine, it would have paid for itself and some by now!

Don't believe me? Here goes:
Name:  VentoATTDI.png
Views: 24285
Size:  5.6 KB
Note: I've used today's Pune prices but even if I take the average cost of petrol and diesel over the past 3 years, the figure is within 10,000 or so. FE is indicative.

I suppose VW will need to launch a new Vento soon enough since the current one is getting long in the tooth. If they plonk this into the 2015 model, I predict they will take the market by storm!
noopster is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 16:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

VAG sells a few cars with the 7 speed dsg mated to the 1.6TDI in other markets, the new 1.5 TDI they are bringing out to take advantage of the excise benefits it should pose fewer problems as torque figures should be lower than the 1.6 TDI.
The 7 speed is already in the market, its cheaper and lighter and would the ideal choice over the 6 speed meant for higher output larger engines.
An awesome product that fills a gaping hole in the product lineup.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 17:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

If this happens, this car will set the sales charts on fire. A diesel automatic is the need of the hour and seeing how people are willing to spend approx 13L OTR for a City AT (in petrol of course), having a VW diesel AT at a similar price point will see it fly off the shelves. I highly doubt this will happen, but if it happens, it will be a sure-fire hit, no question about it.
Old 4th March 2014, 17:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Vento Diesel Automatic seems to be a good niche after all but the real question is at what price with the 1.5 and 6 speed DSG.

Would it really come close to the 10 lakh auto bracket or surpass it and get closer to the Verna territory. Even if the launch it with a two pronged strategy of a fully loaded Vento and smartly priced Rapid from Skoda, it would flank very well to cover the entry auto sedan segment.
Old 4th March 2014, 17:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

VW will get very very few takers for this for sure. With Automatic DSG, it will easily cost 12+ Lacs OTR. At that price, there are other better options as well (may be not with Auto gear box). Also India is still not very auto freak country. People are happy with manuals. With manuals they get more FE at lesser price. Surely there are takers but not many. Vento has already lost the race to Verna and now City. Till the time it gets into the real world, i bet most of the people will not even notice it. Come-on VW, give us something new
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 17:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Pricing and reliability will be crucial. Throw in paddle shifters, and it will fun to drive. Any news about Polo 1.5 Tdi DSG ?
Old 4th March 2014, 17:49   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
My petrol Vento AT currently at 3 years/47,500 km has served me well but at the back of my mind is the nagging thought that I have paid around 1.6 L more in fuel bills over this period. Yup- do the math yourself: even if I paid a lac additional for the TDI engine, it would have paid for itself and some by now!

Don't believe me? Here goes:
Attachment 1215279
Note: I've used today's Pune prices but even if I take the average cost of petrol and diesel over the past 3 years, the figure is within 10,000 or so. FE is indicative.
13kmpl for the diesel is not accurate. The diesel will easily give above that overall. 14kmpl is city FE and highway goes closer to 20kmpl. In which case average of 15-16kmpl in your above calculation means it's more than 1.6 lakhs.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 19:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

IF only, IF ONLY, IF ONLY now the hatchbacks like Polo TDI, Swift DDIS etc etc start coming with Automatics, not measly torque converter and 4 speeders, but AMT, DSG's with 5 speed and 6 speed transmissions, I'll be a new ERA in the Indian Automotive Industry.
Old 4th March 2014, 23:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
VW will get very very few takers for this for sure. With Automatic DSG, it will easily cost 12+ Lacs OTR. At that price, there are other better options as well (may be not with Auto gear box). Also India is still not very auto freak country. People are happy with manuals.
I totally disagree with this. India is starved for diesel automatics. Verna the only option is not a stable vehicle, and the lac of diesel Automatics in the under 10 lakh range forces people to buy manuals or go in for petrol guzzling torque converter automatics. Till date the smallest successful diesel automatic in the world is the Renault Megane which has the same 110 HP DCI engine seen in India, get the transmission here in the Sunny diesel and the Duster and the booking again will be deep into waiting list.

I recently sold my Innova and currently have a Polo 1.2 Tdi and a Wagon R I'm just planning to get an small automatic, let diesel automatics come in and I will replace these cars one by one.

Rahul

Most Viewed