Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2014, 16:38   #31
BHPian

re: VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!

Damn!

Why this rumor was not there few months back when I got a Vento TDI HL? I would have waited for a few more months!

If this happens, the cars will fly off the showroom. I just commented on the declining sales chart of Vento and here comes "THE NEWS". I sincerely hope this does not remain a rumor.
Old 6th March 2014, 16:54   #32
BHPian

Only the news that THERE MIGHT BE a Vento automatic has so many replies in this forum in such a short time, I am damn sure, this product is going to KILL the market hands down.

From a personal experience, I use Fabia Diesel manual and I get jacked pressing the HARD clutch, at the same time, apart from the transmission, there is nothing I can complain about after using it for 80,000Kms in three years. I am definitely one of the takers for Vento AT.

The stability and sturdiness provided by these cars are truly exceptional, maybe Verna Diesel AT would have to R.I.P
Old 6th March 2014, 17:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcosmos View Post
...From a personal experience, I use Fabia Diesel manual and I get jacked pressing the HARD clutch, at the same time, apart from the transmission, there is nothing I can complain about after using it for 80,000Kms in three years. I am definitely one of the takers for Vento AT.
Yes. Within city, a manual diesel's hard clutch will kill you. I have been waiting since eons for a AT diesel hatch but looks like it is still some thousand years away in India.
Old 6th March 2014, 17:17   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yes. Within city, a manual diesel's hard clutch will kill you. I have been waiting since eons for a AT diesel hatch but looks like it is still some thousand years away in India.
Oh since I could not wait for thousand years, I bought myself a used civic AT, got CNG installed, so now I have a Honda automatic sedan which runs for the same rs/km cost compared to Diesel AT's or rather a rupee less, but with the obvious problem of limited 130Km/tank range

Must say the manuals do a better job on highways though.
Old 6th March 2014, 17:51   #35
BHPian

Why just the Vento? They perhaps need to consider offering a DSG Variant of Polo TDI. Agreed that it would end up being priced to compete with a Petrol MT Vento, but so be it. There will be takers for a AT Diesel hatch. I for one, would be in the running due to the practicality of a hatch in Pune's congested streets.
Old 6th March 2014, 18:39   #36
BHPian

This is exciting news! I have been a die-hard fan of that 1.6 TDI engine, so much so I got a Polo GT TDi. Down-sizing it to 1.5L would not rob it of its characteristics much I believe. I have always appreciated VAG's brilliant 6-speed DSG too! and combining those two would be a match made in heaven for those who seek:

- A very potent & capable performer which is fun and fuel efficient (on the cheaper fuel!).
- A very practical & solidly built German sedan.
- Ease of driving within the city with that brilliant DSG.

The 6-speed DSG gives lightning quick shifts. And for those who haven't experienced it will be quite tired of people banging all about the DSG. But honestly, that A/T gearbox must be experienced to be believed, its nothing like a conventional A/T and soo much better. Although it may rob it from a wee-bit of the involvement factor that the manuals have but honestly, to a petrol-head, the way the DSG goes about its business and the whole idea of having a twin-clutch gearbox has a thrill of its own. I am a big sucker for such elaborate Automatics.

Automatic is the need of the hour and Diesel + Automatic is something no car manufacturer under the 15L bracket has ever tried apart from the Verna that offers a spartan 4-speed CVT and the Scorpio.

I sincerely hope with the addition of the Vento TDI DSG, VW comes through with a REAL highline variant even though it may be priced steeply which would include the following:
- RCD510 (Use Delphi if Bosch gets too expensive).
- Flat-bottom steering wheel with paddles or even a regular wheel with paddles (Honda City does it - the joy of paddles on a DSG is something else)
- High-line MFD with Maxi-dot display.

Regards,

Last edited by n:CorE : 6th March 2014 at 18:46.
n:CorE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 18:52   #37
Team-BHP Support

Good news indeed! VW looks to be making some good moves offlate –the Polo GT twins, Jetta facelift, making airbags standard across Polo range etc. And pricing may not be a huge problem as currently there is a huge gap between C2 and D1 segments.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 19:19   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

There have been rumours of Volkswagen India equipping the Polo and the Vento with automated manual/semi-automatic transmissions.

Quote:
If the Vento Diesel does get a DSG automatic gearbox as rumoured, the AMT option will be out of the reckoning. Volkswagen has plans of facelifted both the Polo and the Vento later this year

http://www.cartoq.com/volkswagen-ven...rks-for-india/
Old 7th March 2014, 10:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Sure going to be a killer combination. More than reliability, I'd be worried about pricing. Something tells me this is going to be a 14lac car. Most folks may not care about this number because the convenience far outweighs the cost. We will have to see how it goes. I don't think it can be a segment killer.
Old 7th March 2014, 11:38   #40
BHPian

India still has a long way to go in catching up with the AT cars. The choices are limited. I do hope VW address the DSG reliability issues if they are planning AT for the VW Vento TDI.
Old 7th March 2014, 14:56   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsh View Post
India still has a long way to go in catching up with the AT cars. The choices are limited. I do hope VW address the DSG reliability issues if they are planning AT for the VW Vento TDI.

A reasonably priced VW Polo or Vento diesel with DSG or ASG would be a welcome addition to their portfolio.

There seems to be an industry-wide reluctance amongst car makers to offer this option in the low to mid-range segments. Granted there is a cost differential with AT as well as impact on FE, but in the long run many would find the convenience a deciding factor especially in chaotic city traffic. Now that the market leader MSIL has taken the step to introduce the AMT fitted Celerio and recent reports of it soon being offered in the Alto also, should make it more widely prevalent. Maybe even reduce the "stigma"of AT being unmanly
Old 7th March 2014, 23:44   #42
BHPian

Reliability of the DSG is a question as there are stories where these were a problem. No one wants major expenses with regards to the DSG during their ownership. The industry has to try and improve. When Maruti can make a bold move of launching a auto manual shift, why not other companies try to bring in more innovation on cars under 10L?

Personally I would want to switch to a diesel auto as soon as one is available under 10L. Strain on the knee is increasing by the day due to the slow traffic. Wish decent auto shift diesel cars are launched soon.
Old 8th March 2014, 20:37   #43
BHPian

If VW is serious about getting Vento AT in Diesel, I am game for it. Would definitely trade in my Honda City AT for it. In last 24 months of ownership of my City, I have already clocked 25000 kms, averaging at a little more than 12000 per year. That in itself translates to 2000 kms per month. This in my opinion does call for a need for me to upgrade to a Diesel Car. I didn't go for a Diesel car any earlier was because of virtually non existent Diesel Car in the C Segment. I was highly anticipating Honda launching City in Diesel AT, but, all my hopes went down the drain when they didn't.

Let's hope that VW gets in the car much earlier then expected.
Old 12th March 2014, 12:45   #44
BHPian

I hope this rumor turns out to be true. I would definitely buy this car if priced right.
My expectation on price front -> Vento TDI+DG Highline in Bangalore should not be more than 13 - 13.5 lakhs. 5 year warranty is a must for me.
Old 12th March 2014, 13:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
My petrol Vento AT currently at 3 years/47,500 km has served me well but at the back of my mind is the nagging thought that I have paid around 1.6 L more in fuel bills over this period. Yup- do the math yourself: even if I paid a lac additional for the TDI engine, it would have paid for itself and some by now!
Let me add to your woes. Want to factor in the resale value difference between your AT and a similarly specced diesel cousin?!

It is really challenging to find a buyer for a petrol AT too. Diesels do all the running.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks