Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 14:21   #91
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Did the gear lever had DSG inscribed on it? if not, then are they using the Vento AT non DSG torque converter?
Well, have you seen the DSG lever in the Jetta? It is the same unit as that on the torque converter box based Vento.

Link here.

I am confident that it was a DSG.
Old 8th August 2014, 14:05   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Autocolumn speculates the Facelift Vento updates,

VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!-2014vwvento1.jpg

Engine options,

Quote:
1) Turbo- Petrol: 1.2L TSI, 105 PS and 175 Nm, and a 7 speed DSG automatic gearbox.
2) Turbo- Diesel: 1.5L TDI , 105 PS and 250 Nm, with options of a 5 speed manual and a 6 speed automatic with ESP.

Facelift will also see the introduction of the Toffee Brown Metallic colour to the Vento range.
The Vento facelift will run on 185/60 R15 tyres mounted on classy looking 15 spoke ‘Spokane’ alloys.
The facelift car will get the new double barrel dual H7 headlamps from the new Polo
Interior-wise, the Vento facelift will get the new flat- bottom steering wheel and silver center console (HighLine variant only), similar to the new Polo. A new fabric will also adorn the seats.

The car will continue to have the existing bumpers and tail light.

Vento facelift will launch in Sept-Oct 14.
http://www.autocolumn.com/2014/08/sc...ento-facelift/

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th August 2014 at 14:09.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 17:49   #93
BHPian

That render seems incorrect! 15" tires won't take up so much of the wheel area.

Anyway, VW's not getting my attention with this update. They should have gone for DRL's like the Jetta, sunroof (to make the cramped interiors seem airy) and definitely auto folding mirrors! That, combined with the awesome DSG and the diesel engine, would be a car to buy!
reppy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 19:03   #94
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen in India off late believes that all the matters is 4 seats, engine, and gearbox. What about features? The 15-16 lakh rupees Jetta Trendline didn't get USB until few years ago? Are you kidding me, even Celerio has one.

I guess they believe in their own hype, numbers tell a different story.
Old 10th August 2014, 00:05   #95
BHPian

Not sure if this has been posted before but in this month's Autocar there is a mention that the Vento will come with a seven speed DSG!
Old 10th August 2014, 01:32   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Not sure if this has been posted before but in this month's Autocar there is a mention that the Vento will come with a seven speed DSG!
If VW launches Vento with 7 Speed DSG then 1.5 TDi will be detuned to 90 PS 230 Nm torque, since DSG wont handle torque of 250 Nm+ at wider range. Even Polo comes with 7 speed DSG but tuned to 90 PS 230 Nm.

I hope VW India makes an exception and launches Vento with a proper 6 Speed DSG which would give a proper 105 PS and 250 Nm torque and some room for remap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Volkswagen in India off late believes that all the matters is 4 seats, engine, and gearbox. What about features? The 15-16 lakh rupees Jetta Trendline didn't get USB until few years ago? Are you kidding me, even Celerio has one.
One thing thing Celerio wont have is a soul. Drive a VW on a smooth tarmac with twisting roads and you would start appreciating it while having a big grin on face. Things like folding mirrors & USB just don't matter.

Words from a bhpian who had been a Honda City fan for over a decade until he owned a Vento TDi in 2011.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 05:50   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
If VW launches Vento with 7 Speed DSG then 1.5 TDi will be detuned to 90 PS 230 Nm torque, since DSG wont handle torque of 250 Nm+ at wider range. Even Polo comes with 7 speed DSG but tuned to 90 PS 230

One thing thing Celerio wont have is a soul. Drive a VW on a smooth tarmac with twisting roads and you would start appreciating it while having a big grin on face. Things like folding mirrors & USB just don't matter.

Words from a bhpian who had been a Honda City fan for over a decade until he owned a Vento TDi in 2011.
The seven speed DSG is also present in 1.8 TSI with detuned torque but 180 bhp.

Secondly no offence but Vento doesn't have good driving dynamics or handling. Compare it with Fiesta or even up sized tires Swift and you will immidiately realise the bouncy suspension tuned for comfort. Vento is no Jetta.
Old 19th August 2014, 13:31   #98
BHPian

this would be a great combination. Also I wish VW bring in the lovely black and grey interiors which they supply to the Mexican market from India. I feel black interiors are sportier and more practical for our market.
Old 19th August 2014, 14:58   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
The seven speed DSG is also present in 1.8 TSI with detuned torque but 180 bhp.
The 1.8 TSI's auto box handles 250 nm of torque, which is the same at the 1.5 diesel in the 105 bhp state of tune. so theoretically, VW should be able to fit the 7 speed DSG. and, though I have not driven the 7 speed DSG equipped car (waiting for the delivery of my Polo GT TSI), the 6 speed unit in Laura does just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam99 View Post
this would be a great combination. Also I wish VW bring in the lovely black and grey interiors which they supply to the Mexican market from India. I feel black interiors are sportier and more practical for our market.
+1 to that. the manufacturers have gone bonkers after the beige interiors. I personally prefer the all black interiors.
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:48   #100
BHPian

http://www.cartrade.com/car-bike-new...ed-124938.html

The article doesn't talk about anything new though!
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:53   #101
BHPian

I am waiting for this to launch before making my decision but what if the DSG gearbox goes kaput or some issues pop up, post the 4 year warranty (2+2 yr extended) period? What kind of damage should we expect? also how easy/difficult is it to maintain the DSG transmission? because I know dsg wont be as maintenance free as the ford dual clutch transmission which is maintenance free.

Last edited by magikrider : 2nd September 2014 at 08:54.
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:15   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
What kind of damage should we expect? also how easy/difficult is it to maintain the DSG transmission?
Mechatronics failure will fetch a bill of approx. 1.75L. There have been cases where VAG replaced the unit free of cost, even when the car was out of warranty. But do take the extended warranty.

The failure is mostly for the dry clutch DQ200 7 speed DSG. Cases were mostly reported for cars made before 2011. I guess its much better now.

The Diesels are coupled with the wet clutch DQ250 6 speed DSG which is much more robust.

Check this thread for more details. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...not-india.html
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:07   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
I am waiting for this to launch before making my decision but what if the DSG gearbox goes kaput or some issues pop up, post the 4 year warranty (2+2 yr extended) period? What kind of damage should we expect? also how easy/difficult is it to maintain the DSG transmission? because I know dsg wont be as maintenance free as the ford dual clutch transmission which is maintenance free.
I don't think there is any specific special maintenance for the DSG transmission. Of course, there are tips and suggestions on the best way to use the DSG when driving, waiting at a signal etc.. But I don't think the maintenance cost will go up due to the DSG.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:33   #104
BHPian

I'm anyways scared of the DSG transmissions going kaput out of warranty. The VW DSGs have an unusually high rate of failure. It's just that in India the consumers have no protection in the form of recalls that a company like VW can get away with it. A family friend's DSG failed recently & VW is, as usual, being evasive.
Old 2nd September 2014, 13:11   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Dybuk View Post
I'm anyways scared of the DSG transmissions going kaput out of warranty. The VW DSGs have an unusually high rate of failure. It's just that in India the consumers have no protection in the form of recalls that a company like VW can get away with it. A family friend's DSG failed recently & VW is, as usual, being evasive.
Can you give us some more details please? What car is it and how old?

Most Viewed