Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2014, 16:41   #121
BHPian

re: VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I think it will be the 7-speed DSG, same as the one in Polo GT TSI / Vento TSI. I have seen the Touran MPV here in Singapore with the combination of 1.6 TDI with DSG (specs here)
That is exactly my worry. My understanding is that the 7 Speed box is the cheaper one and hence it maybe preferred by volkswagen over the 6 speed especially since the torque for the i.5 TDI (250Nm) is within its operating range.
Old 4th September 2014, 16:53   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
That is exactly my worry. My understanding is that the 7 Speed box is the cheaper one and hence it maybe preferred by volkswagen over the 6 speed especially since the torque for the i.5 TDI (250Nm) is within its operating range.
It should be ok right? The DSG woes looks be a thing of the past, and the same gearbox is doing duty in cars like Octavia 1.8TSI and Polo GT TSI. I don't think the choice has anything to do with the cost of gearbox. 7-DSG for vehicles with torque upto 250NM is pretty standard for VAG cars.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 17:08   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It should be ok right? The DSG woes looks be a thing of the past, and the same gearbox is doing duty in cars like Octavia 1.8TSI and Polo GT TSI. I don't think the choice has anything to do with the cost of gearbox. 7-DSG for vehicles with torque upto 250NM is pretty standard for VAG cars.
Oh Ok. i somehow had the impression that the wet clutch box was more expensive.

I hope the problems are over but the polo 1.2 TSI has only 175 NM torque (if i remember correctly), while the octavia 1.8 TSI has 250 NM torque there are very few on the road and it is less than a year since launch.

i hope these issues are really a thing of the past but it will remain a concern (atleast for me) till more time elapses.
Old 4th September 2014, 17:29   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Oh Ok. i somehow had the impression that the wet clutch box was more expensive.

I hope the problems are over but the polo 1.2 TSI has only 175 NM torque (if i remember correctly), while the octavia 1.8 TSI has 250 NM torque there are very few on the road and it is less than a year since launch.

i hope these issues are really a thing of the past but it will remain a concern (atleast for me) till more time elapses.
The same gearbox was also there in Laura 1.8 TSI DSG. and that too had the same torque rating 250 NM. So, it been around for a while, though not in great numbers. and the same unit would be present in the new A3. VAG would not have put it there if they were not confident about it.
Old 4th September 2014, 17:41   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the octavia 1.8 TSI has 250 NM torque there are very few on the road and it is less than a year since launch.

True that, but you're seeing such few of them for 2 reasons only

1) There aren't nearly enough Octavias being made here. Octavia kits are in massive demand globally.
2) Our market doesn't exactly have a proclivity for petrols, sadly.

With 3-4 months waiting periods on the Octy TSI, many are simply moving on to other choices, such as the Jetta, Corolla or even the Octavia TDI.

DSG issues do seem to have died down a lot in recent years, although I'm sure a few more years of uneventful ownership will quell many doubters.
Old 4th September 2014, 17:55   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
The same gearbox was also there in Laura 1.8 TSI DSG. and that too had the same torque rating 250 NM. So, it been around for a while, though not in great numbers. and the same unit would be present in the new A3. VAG would not have put it there if they were not confident about it.
That is a good point on the laura and i surely hope all the gremlins have been sorted. My limited point was that the long term reliability of DQ 200 is still a concern for many and if it is DQ 250, i for one will breathe a little easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
True that, but you're seeing such few of them for 2 reasons only

1) There aren't nearly enough Octavias being made here. Octavia kits are in massive demand globally.
2) Our market doesn't exactly have a proclivity for petrols, sadly.

With 3-4 months waiting periods on the Octy TSI, many are simply moving on to other choices, such as the Jetta, Corolla or even the Octavia TDI.

DSG issues do seem to have died down a lot in recent years, although I'm sure a few more years of uneventful ownership will quell many doubters.
Exactly, confidence once lost takes time to regain.
Old 4th September 2014, 18:05   #127
Team-BHP Support

The test mule of the Volkswagen Vento facelift has been spotted at a fuel station. It is rumoured to have a 1.5-litre diesel engine with a 6-speed DSG automatic transmission.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 18:45   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

As I understand dry clutch systems are more efficient in transmitting power and provide faster shift times compared to wet clutch system which are bathed in engine oil. The oil needs to be pumped into and circulated through GB, which is an extra operation.

Any machine manufacturer would like to avoid any extra equipment or operation unless its absolutely necessary. So if a dry clutch box is rated to handle 250 NM of torque, the manufacturer will use it for all applications upto this limit. If it can't handle this limit, then they need to either downrate the gearbox's capabilities or scrap it altogether.
Old 4th September 2014, 21:40   #129
Senior - BHPian

The clutch type does not influence shift times. In any case, the clutch is preselected before teh shift.

In both cases, oil is still needed for gear/shaft/bearing lube and for the actuation hydraulics.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 09:43   #130
BHPian

Spotted a Vento in Wakad, Pune this morning. Looked like a new rear design for bumpers and tail lights. But the big thing was that it was a Left Hand Drive with a huge LHD sticker on the bumper! It had a temp registration plate. Definitely did not look like a Foreign Consulate vehicle - they are the only LHD vehicles permitted in India AFAIK and this one did not have any such markings.
Wonder what is an LHD doing in India...
Old 5th September 2014, 12:00   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque!! View Post
Wonder what is an LHD doing in India...
VW also manufactures and exports LHD cars to South Africa/ other LHD countries from Chakan, Pune. They are often seen testing around Pune with white on bright red LHD sticker plastered at the rear and front of the car.

Are you sure that you saw a new rear bumper + tail light combo? Because that car is due in July 2015 and test prototypes of the 'All-New' Vento will begin to run out in the open post November 2014.
Old 5th September 2014, 12:20   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
Are you sure that you saw a new rear bumper + tail light combo? Because that car is due in July 2015 and test prototypes of the 'All-New' Vento will begin to run out in the open post November 2014.
Well, I can say with confidence that the rear bumper design and tail light design was definitely different than the current generation Indian Vento. The tail lights did have what looked like an LED cluster.
Old 5th September 2014, 13:27   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
VW also manufactures and exports LHD cars to South Africa/ other LHD countries from Chakan, Pune. They are often seen testing around Pune with white on bright red LHD sticker plastered at the rear and front of the car.

I got it from one of the VW dealers in Delhi that the new Vento is just around the corner. They cant confirm the availability of DSG with 1.5 TDI yet.

minor correction in your post, South Africa has RHD.
lalittalwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 14:06   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Chakan plant produces Russia-spec Polo sedans too- those are the LHD ones.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 16:22   #135
BHPian

Apologies, Russian vehicles. I stand corrected.

The new Vento is around the corner. It has the New Polo spec dual barrel headlamps, steering wheel, new alloy wheel pattern etc. Source.
Quote:
The face-lift will also see the introduction of the Toffee Brown Metallic colour to the Vento range.

The Vento facelift will run on 185/60 R15 tyres mounted on classy looking 15 spoke ‘Spokane’ alloys.

The facelift car will get the new double barrel dual H7 headlamps from the new Polo.

Interior-wise, the Vento facelift will get the sexy new flat- bottom steering wheel and silver center console (HighLine variant only), similar to the new Polo. A new fabric will also adorn the seats.

However, the car will continue to have the existing bumpers and tail light. The new bumpers will be introduced in the all new Vento, due July 2015.

LED tail light and new bumper is quite substantial. Lets hope more is revealed soon.

Last edited by noopster : 5th September 2014 at 16:33. Reason: Thanks- added extract of article in your post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks