Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2014, 12:03   #16
BHPian

re: Problem with selling a '3rd owner' Used Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Now this is going to give me a problem when I have to sell my car. I am the second owner of the car, even though I am the only guy who has driven the car.

I bought the through my then employer's lease policy, so the car was owned by that company for 3 years. Since the car is in my name since then, there are two entries in the RC book.

Will a buyer consider that this car has been driven by only one person? I am afraid not, because when it is time for the buyer to sell the car, she/he will be selling it to 4th owner.

I am looking forward to even lower resale value than I had thought I would get for my 5.5 year old Palio :-(
Dont worry if you are selling of a company owned car transferred to your name.
People generally understand that if you were the sole user during the whole tenure, then the car should be well maintained and serviced strictly according to manual and manufacturers timelines. You may even be lucky and can use this as a selling point.
I had no problems selling my car with the same conditions you are facing. Its a different matter I was trying to sell off a market depreciation disaster (Petrol Figo!)
Old 5th March 2014, 12:12   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
...broker will overvalue it and say that this is a third owner car and the two previous owners were doctors (they may not even be MBBS doctors), whom even the R.C. and T.C. documents acknowledge as "doctors". And when doctors use the car, the value increases as it is considered as a "low mileage, single handed, best maintained" car.
Aren't we ignoring the 'single lady owner' cars that are supposed to fetch good prices? However, I have no idea why the marital status of the lady owner would make a difference to the price of a car she owns! (And it might have been driven by a sadistic male chauffeur all through the ownership period!)

Actually Maruti True Value just shot themselves in the foot. By refusing to buy back 3rd-owner cars, they are likely to be saddled with an inventory of 2nd-owner cars. Prospective buyers will refuse to buy 2nd-owner cars for fear that they won't be able to sell the same back to MTV or elsewhere later on.
SS-Traveller is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 12:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Aren't we ignoring the 'single lady owner' cars that are supposed to fetch good prices? However, I have no idea why the marital status of the lady owner would make a difference to the price of a car she owns! (And it might have been driven by a sadistic male chauffeur all through the ownership period!)
Er.. I always thought it meant 'single hand, lady owned/driven' rather than being indicative of the status of lady herself.
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 12:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Lady; single owner != Single Lady owner
Recompose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 12:48   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
Lady; single owner != Single Lady owner
Oh, those English lessons... how I love 'em!

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th March 2014 at 13:22. Reason: Edited the handicap reference, its not really in good taste even as a joke :)
Old 6th March 2014, 21:19   #21
BHPian

Re: Problem with selling a '3rd owner' Used Car

The logic is simple- general public considers 3rd owner car as a lemon or abused car.

1.Often times a person purchases a second hand car, uses it for a while without carrying-out any service/repairs and then sells it off within few months

2.Generally when one decides that the car has to be sold, no preventive maintenance is carried out simply because he won't get the money back.

3.Suppose the car gets involved in a serious accident and if the car has good resale value then the owner repairs it and sells it. Even the total loss cars which high resale value is repaired and is sold to unsuspecting buyers.

4.Another thing to lookout for- Whether the seller's name is on the R.C card or not. There is a trend going on - instead of going for a rental car, people on vacation purchase a fast moving car such as swift and sell it without any considerable loss and sometimes at a profit too.
Most of them don't even register the car and is sold as 1st owner car..

If dealing directly with the seller then it is always better to cross check the name on the RC card and the driving license, if it does not match then walking away is the best option.
Old 6th March 2014, 21:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

It's an age old problem for which nobody has a solution. When you want to sell your car they quote low rates, when you want to buy a car the prices are high
Old 7th March 2014, 08:28   #23
BHPian

I can relate to this herd mentality with advertisements which proclaim the 'virtue' of doctor or ladies owner. As if they cannot be bad drivers.
I know a lot of my friends, irrespective of profession and gender, care about their machines or are very careless about machines. On the other hand, there are cars, which are badly thrashed - driven in wrong gears, no scheduled maintenance followed, or bad alignment affecting suspension and tyres and yet they might have done just under 20000 or 30000 kms.
But beyond the reasoning, the majority of car buyers tend to follow the established norms, hearsay they might be. Sometimes, they do not have an inclination to explore the virtue of a good car further since not everybody is as passionate like most of us here!
Old 7th March 2014, 09:01   #24
BHPian

Recently my colleague could not buy a used 2011 Jetta being sold by an other colleague due to family objections over it being a 2nd owner car. It was only technically a 2nd owner car as it was used by the seller from the time it was bought.
Btw, I am the 3rd owner of my Jazz.
Old 7th March 2014, 15:55   #25
BHPian

I was recently sold my 2005 Baleno LXi to a individual buyer where i was the third owner and he is the 4th owner. Before selling the car, it was checked and valued by the Maruti True Vale and Hyundai Advantage and both the parties have offered the same price(it was 15K less than what i sold to the 4th owner). There was no hesitation from their side to take the car.

The most important part is that i sold the car for same price that i bought from 2nd owner 15 months ago.
Ramp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 16:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Now this is going to give me a problem when I have to sell my car. I am the second owner of the car, even though I am the only guy who has driven the car.

I bought the through my then employer's lease policy, so the car was owned by that company for 3 years. Since the car is in my name since then, there are two entries in the RC book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Now-a-days, your situation is pretty common and many people understand it. So it shouldn't be an issue.

I for one would always give priority to a car's condition rather than the number of owners it has had or how old it is.

Cheers!
amansanc
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Dont worry if you are selling of a company owned car transferred to your name.
People generally understand that if you were the sole user during the whole tenure, then the car should be well maintained and serviced strictly according to manual and manufacturers timelines. You may even be lucky and can use this as a selling point.
I had no problems selling my car with the same conditions you are facing. Its a different matter I was trying to sell off a market depreciation disaster (Petrol Figo!)
I am in a similar situation now. I got the car (Fabia Diesel) company registered in 2009 and transferred the ownership to my name after 2 years. Now I am not getting good price for my car and people are stating that there are 2 entries in the RC . The dealers are quoting ridiculously low prices while the individuals are not ready to buy with two entries.

The service history is clean and the car is in very good condition.

This is really becoming a hectic job than I thought to sell my car for a reasonable price.

- What can I expect for my Diesel Fabia stated above? ODO: 77000, Tires have 15K kms left. The only grouse is I am second owner on paper.
Old 7th March 2014, 16:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
I am in a similar situation now. I got the car (Fabia Diesel) company registered in 2009 and transferred the ownership to my name after 2 years. Now I am not getting good price for my car and people are stating that there are 2 entries in the RC . The dealers are quoting ridiculously low prices while the individuals are not ready to buy with two entries.

The service history is clean and the car is in very good condition.

This is really becoming a hectic job than I thought to sell my car for a reasonable price.

- What can I expect for my Diesel Fabia stated above? ODO: 77000, Tires have 15K kms left. The only grouse is I am second owner on paper.
You have not stated the trim level, I assume its an Elegance 1.4 TDI mid 2009 car.
From carwale its coming out with your stated details as around ~3.5 - 3.75 lakhs
Skoda cars do not exactly have a strong resale value as well. I see the 77000 kms covered as a negative point than the 2 RC owner entry as a problem
Old 7th March 2014, 16:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
You have not stated the trim level, I assume its an Elegance 1.4 TDI mid 2009 car.
From carwale its coming out with your stated details as around ~3.5 - 3.75 lakhs
Skoda cars do not exactly have a strong resale value as well. I see the 77000 kms covered as a negative point than the 2 RC owner entry as a problem
Thanks. The trim is Ambiente. At the time of my purchase the Elegance was stopped. The 2 features which are in Elegance are the projectors and the sun roof. It is loaded with Alloys, ABS, 2 Airbags.
I am expecting the same that you have quoted from carwale, in fact a bit less. But the deal offered to me is way too less. Dealer is quoting 2.5 while individuals are not ready to go beyond 3.
Old 7th March 2014, 16:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Actually Maruti True Value just shot themselves in the foot. By refusing to buy back 3rd-owner cars, they are likely to be saddled with an inventory of 2nd-owner cars. Prospective buyers will refuse to buy 2nd-owner cars for fear that they won't be able to sell the same back to MTV or elsewhere later on.
Exactly my thoughts. Who would buy those 2nd owned cars if they have a good chance of getting stuck with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
I can relate to this herd mentality with advertisements which proclaim the 'virtue' of doctor or ladies owner. As if they cannot be bad drivers.
Courtesy of the "Traditional Indian mindset." Or perhaps it is the result of the psychology that doctors and ladies are caring people! (takes good care of the car as well). All well and good, but are all doctors and ladies (there do exist exceptions) car enthusiasts to really know how to take care of a car? Alas! In India, mainstream people don't even bother to read their car manuals.
Old 7th March 2014, 23:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutta_d1 View Post
Exactly my thoughts. Who would buy those 2nd owned cars if they have a good chance of getting stuck with it.

Courtesy of the "Traditional Indian mindset." Or perhaps it is the result of the psychology that doctors and ladies are caring people! (takes good care of the car as well). All well and good, but are all doctors and ladies (there do exist exceptions) car enthusiasts to really know how to take care of a car? Alas! In India, mainstream people don't even bother to read their car manuals.
I think the basic idea behind this common belief ( or should we call it false belief ) is not that doctors and ladies are car freaks to take good care of their car and keep it in perfect shape and condition.The only expectation behind this claim is the general belief that ladies often drive at low and moderate speeds.So the engine might never have been pushed to anywhere closer to its limits, and thus it may still be in mint condition. This is what I suppose is the so-called "advantage" that those brokers/dealers claim.

And I cannot understand how Doctors got an entry to this list.May be as quoted by someone above, doctors are generally considered as caring & law-abiding citizens.But what if the doctor has a teen-aged car crazy son who loves NFS ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks