Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2014, 01:49   #31
BHPian

Re: Problem with selling a '3rd owner' Used Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutta_d1 View Post
Alas! In India, mainstream people don't even bother to read their car manuals.
So well said.
I have people asking me how do you know about cars so much and when I tell them that I like to read manuals - they struggle to understand the existence of the same in their cars. Most of them would not even know that such a thing existed.

I have had people who had sought advise from me on how to maintain and service their cars. I tell them - follow your your user manual if you are not much into details. The oft repeated response is - I generally get car serviced at every 6 months at my neighborhood mechanic for oil change!

Utter disregard for miles done or any specific need of the car!
Old 8th March 2014, 10:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Company lease vehicles are tough to sell even if they are single owner vehicles as there are two owner entries in the RC book. This I found out while trying to sell my previous vehicle, as low prices were offered.
Old 8th March 2014, 10:57   #33
BHPian

well strange but true. My first car was a good condition 3yr old Maruti800 PY ( Pondicherry) registration bought for 1 lac. Became the second owner. Got it changed to TN ( Tamilnadu ) registration and had the car for an year and sold it for Rs.1.25 lac to a third owner, the car value appreciated ! Only because it was TN registration and not because of the car's condition.
Old 9th March 2014, 10:39   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutta_d1 View Post
Exactly my thoughts. Who would buy those 2nd owned cars if they have a good chance of getting stuck with it.
Alas, the average Indian buyer of automobiles is still not so "mature". Just look at the case of jewelry. Its well known bank's et al only "sell" gold coins, never buy it back. Most jewelers refuse to buy back the coins they themselves have sold at intrinsic value, even in sealed packs. Does it stop the average Indian from "investing" in gold coins? No Sir !!

Its the same for cars. Also, I think, most buyers of pre-owned cars, know it, factor it into their ownership and abuse their cars to pretty much scrap value. I remember my service engineer asking me, with genuine surprise, why I spend so much in servicing and maintaining my pre-owned Innova. "You may never be able to sell it, why spend so much saaar" were his exact words.

Will this attitude change? I think so. With rising supply, and a higher velocity of transaction, it will change. The change will probably start with select models that hold value (e.g. Honda City, Innova) and expensive cars, but it will happen. It may take the better part of this decade though. Then again, just a few years back, who would thought there would be organized players in the pre-owned car market? Or a market at all?
Old 9th March 2014, 23:04   #35
BHPian

This situation is only going to worsen with more people following the 4-5 year purchase cycle nowadays. I wouldnt be surprised if we come across cars which have traded half a dozen hands in the used market. There might not be much option left for the seller than to put his car into a shredder, as is done in developed markets like US/UK.
Old 10th March 2014, 16:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
And when doctors use the car, the value increases as it is considered as a "low mileage, single handed, best maintained" car.
How come the owner being a doctor helps?.. I would rather avoid the vehicles from a doctor as typically they are very busy people leaving their vehicles being less pampered due to lack to time.

Same goes with people who just learned driving and old people ( and may be ladies). Chances that I may get a car that was driven on wrong gear are high. ( never seen my dad using 2nd gear, He jumps from 01 - 03)

George V
Old 11th March 2014, 15:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

Unless its a classic/vintage, in real world the resale value goes by kms driven, number of owners and strangely in India, how long will the tyres lost. There is more focus given in these 3 areas than the condition of the vehicle itself.

Same is the thing with a car that has done 1L+ on the odo. We all know a well maintained car at 1L is better than a badly maintained one at 40k odo.

Any car with more owners or odo reading over 1L attracts very few buyers. Buyers too worry that in case they need to sell they will get even lesser buyers. So, its quite justified until the mind set of most people comes out of the shell. With reasonably good quality highways, gone are the days where the perception that over 1L on odo = shortly engine work
Old 12th March 2014, 16:21   #38

I can possibly reason why people buy a new car and sell it off in 2-3 years. However, I fail to understand why people buy a used car and then try to sell in a short period - say 2-3 years (unless there are issues like repeated failures or upgrade to the next car).

-PK
Old 12th March 2014, 17:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

^ These thoughts are very reason why it attracts very less buyers. They may sell the used car for various reasons. They may have purchased just to learn, they may now be able to afford a bigger car or a newer car, there could be family reasons, need for better performance, need to travel more and may need a diesel or whatever.

The reverse is thought by the buyer and will create all sorts of doubts and they usually sell for throwaway price or many times attract too less buyers.

Off all this, if one owns a not so popular car and number of owners are above 2, its really a pain to sell.
Old 12th March 2014, 20:14   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
^ These thoughts are very reason why it attracts very less buyers. They may sell the used car for various reasons. They may have purchased just to learn, they may now be able to afford a bigger car or a newer car, there could be family reasons, need for better performance, need to travel more and may need a diesel or whatever.

The reverse is thought by the buyer and will create all sorts of doubts and they usually sell for throwaway price or many times attract too less buyers.

Off all this, if one owns a not so popular car and number of owners are above 2, its really a pain to sell.
+1

Not all second-hand buyers are buying cars under happiness but it is more of a necessity at that point like low budget or some trying to get their hands on driving so many feel buy a second hand, learn driving and once done, sell it off and go for a new one. The other case is one is particular about the car, variants, features etc but is not available any more hence forced to settle for a second hand one.

Yes, Major problem is while all these cases above.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 14:13   #41
BHPian

Okay bhardwhu, I too like reading manuals, and not of cars only, but of everything from refrigerators to toasters ! But one doesn't learn much from current car manuals, except maintenance schedules and general safety tips. I still have my 1980 Yezdi 250 motorcycle manual which explains everything from repairing punctures to replacing piston rings, and had the wiring diagram too, a total delight for the DIY fanatic !

Dear pvgeorge, I think that doctors are reputed to maintain their cars well and do not spare expenses. I cite the example of my b-I-l who was an early Maruti 800 buyer. By the time he sold it some five years ago it had a completely new body shell, new engine, electricals, radials, etc., but it went for only 28,000/- because of the WNF registration plate !
But I agree with you about people who just learnt driving, particularly ladies and elderly !
Old 13th March 2014, 14:31   #42
BHPian

Well, my ride is a 3rd owner Honda City ZX Vtec and pretty happy with it. It has been serviced well and I would rather sell my other car (1st owner Alto) when upgrading than sell my Vtec.

Its not just being 3rd owners or 2nd owners that makes life difficult when you want to buy or sell cars in India. People also have an aversion to buy (decently) modded cars, repainted ones etc.

For the longest time I have wanted to repaint my car - overexposure to sun, few scratches here and there - But it is simply impossible to convince people that it has been repainted to get back that new look and not that it has been dented & painted because of an accident!
Old 13th March 2014, 18:58   #43
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papikondalu View Post
I can possibly reason why people buy a new car and sell it off in 2-3 years. However, I fail to understand why people buy a used car and then try to sell in a short period - say 2-3 years (unless there are issues like repeated failures or upgrade to the next car).

-PK
well, let me state my case. I bought a used car with the intention to sell it after 2 years. my reasons where
1. I did not have enough finances to buy a new car, and I did not want to take a loan at that point
2. I was interested in mini-suv/crossover, ecosport and duster were confirmed but not launched and launch dates not announced. I could not wait indefinitely for these vehicles.

it is not that everyone sells cars because it is damaged

Last edited by mxx : 13th March 2014 at 19:11.
Old 14th March 2014, 14:18   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
well strange but true. My first car was a good condition 3yr old Maruti800 PY ( Pondicherry) registration bought for 1 lac. Became the second owner. Got it changed to TN ( Tamilnadu ) registration and had the car for an year and sold it for Rs.1.25 lac to a third owner, the car value appreciated ! Only because it was TN registration and not because of the car's condition.
I believe you would also have paid a higher road tax in TN as compared to PY over and above 1L buying price while re-registering ?
Seems to be a good arbitrage opportunity for car dealers
Old 14th March 2014, 15:26   #45
Senior - BHPian

Funny logic by (Un)True Maruti...

Wonder what would they say of my Jeep (7 or 8 names/photos in RC book), Armada (3 photos), M800 (hmm 3 or 4, need to check)...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks