Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2014, 00:13   #61
BHPian

Re: February 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I have only one thing to say. "skoda should thank teambhp" because many enthusiasts on teambhp bought skoda cars despite their reputation(good cars , horrendous A.*.S) and it's because of these enthusiasts that they are just 15 cars ahead of fiat.

I just can't fathom why they are doing this to themselves even I have to admit that I love skoda cars but a recent experience with their west Delhi showroom left a bad taste in mouth. Now somehow would derive sadistic pleasure in seeing them come last and bite the dust
fuelinmyveins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 00:39   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
Consider this: Figo Kerb weight: 1240Kg Liva: < 900 A clean 40% more metal And yet, the Liva is priced higher. Same is the case with Maruti, who give a clean 35% less metal, yet price their cars atleast 10% more than the Fords.
Lol.

You should own Safari Storme. TATA is giving you 5% more metal than a Toyota Fortuner for 1/3rd of the price.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 09:56   #63
BHPian

Great analysis as usual, GTO. The standout figure in the charts is the jump by the new city up, above and beyond its rivals. And the most shocking, for me, is the ecosport numbers. Ford launches a blockbuster product after a long wait, and then suddenly says " no we are not interested in selling it to you". Not that its other cars are selling that well.
Going back to honda, the dealer here says that almost half of the new city bookings has been for the ivtec petrol, so maybe we can expect these numbers to sustain or even increase a little for a few months after the petrol deliveries start, and with the new launches lined up, it is certainly looking rosy for honda.
Old 7th March 2014, 10:49   #64
BHPian

Superb analysis. Why are the premium brands (Mercedes, Audi, BMW) missing from the review?

Also whys isnt there any mention of Jaguar Land Rover?
Old 7th March 2014, 11:45   #65
BHPian

Excellent analysis of the passenger automotive segment as usual GTO! I bet many companies eagerly wait for your analysis to come out and then plan their monthly activities!
Old 7th March 2014, 11:57   #66
BHPian

The handful car makers who are serious about India namely Suzuki,Hyundai,Honda(better late than never) are doing well. Mahindra is very competitive here. I think Tata's should try to bring in their old stable horses like estate's , sierra's in modern avatar, else they cant expect numbers with their aging line. Rest all the car makers are not serious about their market here , hence their numbers. How can Fiat expect numbers with 2 cars in their line up or Toyota with 4, these people have impressive line up's elsewhere, why not here.Chevy has one of the worst line ups.I think they deserve these numbers.
Old 7th March 2014, 12:20   #67
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
Could someone please throw some light on why there are no numbers appearing for Thar in Feb '14 ?
Ask and you shall receive

Thar numbers just came in:

728 - Jan'14
706 - Feb'14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautomobile View Post
Superb analysis. Why are the premium brands (Mercedes, Audi, BMW) missing from the review?

Also whys isnt there any mention of Jaguar Land Rover?
Simply because they don't share the sales numbers. This has been the case ever since their obsession with the "No.1" position. BMW lost the No.1 position & stopped sharing stats. The others followed.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 12:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag
Consider this:
Figo Kerb weight: 1240Kg Liva: < 900 A clean 40% more metal

And yet, the Liva is priced higher. Same is the case with Maruti, who give a clean 35% less metal, yet price their cars atleast 10% more than the Fords.
Not sure where you got your figures from. Especially for the Fords. Because the Figo does not really weigh 1240kgs as you said. The diesel Figo weighs in between 1090 - 1130 kgs depending on trim. A comparable Maruti (Swift-D) weighs between 1050 - 1080 kgs. Is the difference that significant ?

The Liva weighs pretty low as you said. And IIRC, the A-Star which is a segment lower weighs in as much as a Liva. But then I don't think more metal directly translates to better value or safety, when viewed in isolation.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th March 2014 at 13:01.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 12:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

Is Maruti losing out on not having a car to compete with i10 grand? Looks like a surprising void from Maruti to me either from space or look/feature wise.
Old 7th March 2014, 14:12   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Brio however, is an absolute laggard. I have a feeling Honda is prioritizing sales of the more profitable City over the Amaze & Brio. If that isn't the case, the Brio is slowly becoming a flop.
With due respect to GTO and others who have voiced similar opinion about Honda Brio, i think we are missing the point.
in the B2 segment it is the only petrol(only) hatch doing more than 1000 numbers that too without the marketing muscle, dealer network and reach of a Maruti or Hyundai.
I think to arrive at a correct analysis for the segment we need breakup of petrol and diesel sales for various models.

Moderator's Note: Quote only the relevant part of the post to which you are going to respond. Quoting an entire, long post when all you are going to focus on is a single line or two makes your own small post almost invisible. Also, lighter pages load more easily for our mobile readers.

Quoted post edited out.

Last edited by Zappo : 7th March 2014 at 14:29. Reason: Long quote edited out.
nik hill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 14:25   #71
Senior - BHPian

Biggest turnaround for Fiat? Their numbers still look bad but much better than YoY. Bring on that Aventura.. mouthwatering car

Honda and Ford will continue to do well in 2014 with MUVs and that Ford Figo sedan. At the same time, i don't see any reason for Maruti or Hyundai to lose any market share!! They are pretty much flat on top.

One Automaker I want to see do good is TATA motors. Hope so.

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2014 at 17:09. Reason: Typos
Old 7th March 2014, 14:38   #72
BHPian

Another trade mark analysis report by GTO !
I am happy to see Fiat working hard to survive.
Are we to assume that Mitsubishi story is more or less dead for India ?
Old 7th March 2014, 18:54   #73
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
However, bring 18,000 DZires into this equation- the whole scenario changes completely, and it's quite evident it's an under- achiever.
By that yardstick, every other sedan & hatchback is a failure in India (if compared to the Dzire & Swift respectively)

Lets not forget that the Amaze is the 3rd best selling sedan in India and a position no.11 ranker (on a chart of ~100 cars). It's in the top 10% of the market. The Amaze has gone as high as 10,000 units in October. I can tell you from unofficial sources that Honda has prioritized sales of the City over the Amaze, else it would have seen atleast another 1K more, if not 2.

Maruti also has 7 - 8 times the number of sales points that Honda has. If you see sales / dealer, the Amaze is ahead of the Dzire.

6,000 cars / month is a success in India, no matter what the segment, price point or competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik hill View Post
With due respect to GTO and others who have voiced similar opinion about Honda Brio, i think we are missing the point.
in the B2 segment it is the only petrol(only) hatch doing more than 1000 numbers that too without the marketing muscle, dealer network and reach of a Maruti or Hyundai.
There are several other petrol-only hatchbacks that sell far more than the Brio (WagonR, i10 before the Grand was launched etc.). Heck, Honda used to sell a lot more petrol-only Citys (earlier gen) than the Brio.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 18:59   #74
BHPian

A car which is almost two decades old is selling 4K+, is good, but not unusual in India. What is great about Santro is it's still going strong while an newer alternative from the same company is available, at comparable price point. It has captured 4K+ after 20 months. The product manager should be happy. Santro is really an awesome package for that price. Probably discounts to cabs is helping the numbers, despite that, it's an achievent.

Another great VFM package Spark doing just 100+ is really pathetic. What makes the buyer not choose Spark over the other choices he has, is beyond reason.

WagonR holding its numbers along side Celerio is interesting. Discounts on WagonR may be one reason. Will not be surprised, if the numbers between Celerio and WagonR are exchanged once Maruti starts giving similar discounts on Celerio.

Last edited by ravradha : 7th March 2014 at 19:02. Reason: added punctuation
Old 7th March 2014, 19:52   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Movers & Shakers

[i] The Celerio has generated a fair amount of interest in the market, thanks in no small part to that Automated Manual Transmission (long time since we saw something innovative come from Maruti). 7,300 shipments for Maruti's latest is excellent, although we reserve final verdict until we have some more months of data.
Wonder if there is any data on the AMT numbers out of the 7300+. Be interesting to know the swing.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks