Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2017, 13:18   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Could Tesla launch in India?

Tesla fans in India - some promising news!

Tesla in India - Elon Musk hints at possible 2017 summer launch.

Could Tesla launch in India?-12.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th February 2017 at 13:23.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 07:22   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tesla fans in India - some promising news!

Tesla in India - Elon Musk hints at possible 2017 summer launch.

Attachment 1605910
Solid news.

A few Tesla's from the first lot for India are heading to Calcutta as well. We are already done booking and configuring our Tesla's. Should be going into production anytime soon. A Model S P100D and 2 Model 3's.

Shall keep you all posted with the updates.
cityvic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 09:52   #93
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

This is great news. But I feel summer 2017 is too short a timeline, its hardly a couple of months away. If this is true, then by now I am sure dealerships and necessary infrastructure (service centres, charging stations, etc) would have been finalised and all relevant training must have been initiated. However, there is no news of the same.

Since it is none other than Elon Musk himself who has tweeted this, it cannot be a hoax. Hopefully soon we will be getting answers to all our questions.

I got a chance to experience the Tesla Model S in Amsterdam recently, but only from the passenger seat as it was an airport cab. The interiors felt plush and futuristic. The frameless doors almost gave me a crisis. I even tried to bribe the driver to let me drive it for a short distance.
Old 9th February 2017, 11:12   #94
BANNED

Tesla, using a totally different powertrain technology is beyond the competence of our average boffin. They will have to provide two things, dedicated service networks (as in the west), and also charging stations on the highway. Given the state of our highways, and summer blues, I think the range in India may be about 20% less.
Old 9th February 2017, 13:53   #95
Senior - BHPian

While it's great news that Tesla is coming to India, I am skeptical about how the car will handle Indian conditions without a proper test.
It is better to watch and wait rather than plunging in at a early stage.
Old 9th February 2017, 14:26   #96
BHPian

Are there any test mules doing rounds in any part of India? Any sightings? Shouldn't there be some by this time if the launch is so close? Or perhaps, are they launching it just like that without any on-road tests in Indian conditions?

Quite surprising all this development.

Moreover, I assume these cars will be brought through CBU route and which will mean a hopelessly high price on an already expensive car, isn't it? If $40K Jeep retails at more than INR 1Cr. I wonder how much a $70K Model S would be priced here!

Side note: Zauba shows no import of Model S off late.
Old 9th February 2017, 14:39   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
Side note: Zauba shows no import of Model S off late.

Zauba will not be publishing import data any longer. As per Central Government orders, no import/export data will be shown to public from December 2016 onwards.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 15:01   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
This is great news. But I feel summer 2017 is too short a timeline, its hardly a couple of months away. If this is true, then by now I am sure dealerships and necessary infrastructure (service centres, charging stations, etc) would have been finalised and all relevant training must have been initiated. However, there is no news of the same.

Since it is none other than Elon Musk himself who has tweeted this, it cannot be a hoax. Hopefully soon we will be getting answers to all our questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
While it's great news that Tesla is coming to India, I am skeptical about how the car will handle Indian conditions without a proper test.
It is better to watch and wait rather than plunging in at a early stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
Are there any test mules doing rounds in any part of India? Any sightings? Shouldn't there be some by this time if the launch is so close? Or perhaps, are they launching it just like that without any on-road tests in Indian conditions?

Quite surprising all this development.
All the above indicate that they would merely open a website and accept online bookings for their Model 3 which would be delivered in a couple of years. In my opinion I don't think our country is ready yet for a car like Tesla. To be successful in India they should have electric two-wheelers and three-wheelers in their portfolio.

Who knows may be they have a surprise in store!

Last edited by Whiplash7 : 9th February 2017 at 15:05.
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:09   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Elon Musk hints at delaying Tesla's India debut

Tesla Motors may have to put its India plans on hold owing to local sourcing norms and supply issues.

Could Tesla launch in India?-1.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd May 2017 at 20:15.
Old 22nd May 2017, 21:15   #100
Team-BHP Support

Looks like an excuse, there is nothing like mandatory 30 % local sourcing, just that they pay higher duties if they don't assemble everything here. I am more than sure if they have right intent, they can find enough electrical motor manufacturers here. Batteries may be little difficult though.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd May 2017 at 22:55. Reason: then > than.
Old 22nd May 2017, 21:59   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
As per Central Government orders, no import/export data will be shown to public from December 2016 onwards.
Thx Govt. of Bharat. Your measures towards transparency are commendable. Minimum government, maximum governance indeed!
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 23:42   #102
BANNED

Quote:

Tesla Motors may have to put its India plans on hold owing to local sourcing norms and supply issues.

Attachment 1641188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Looks like an excuse, there is nothing like mandatory 30 % local sourcing, just that they pay higher duties if they don't assemble everything here. I am more than sure if they have right intent, they can find enough electrical motor manufacturers here. Batteries may be little difficult though.
It's actually not an excuse, because of the way Tesla does business. They set up their own Company operated outlets only, no franchise business. And hence, their outlet would come under single brand retail, which requires local sourcing of 30 percent parts. This is similar to Apple, which wanted to set up its own stores but was asked to fulfill this 30 percent criteria. Without doing this, they can sell products in India, but through a distributor network in between the manufacturer and the customer.

On the plus side, when they do come down here say in 3-4 years (which can happen as battery plants are coming up too, so infrastructure for Tesla will be easier) , the prices should be more competitive then we expect. For example the Model 3 could actually be cheaper than a 3 series or C class
agambhandari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 09:07   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Agree.
Tyres, wheels, glasses, seats, suspension parts, lights etc. should be more than 30%
Old 23rd May 2017, 14:40   #104
BANNED

I hope they do. One reason - reduction in prices, second sorting out of the service facility dilemma. I am sure many of us esp those living in the metros with a high mileage to boot, may opt for it.
Old 23rd May 2017, 16:53   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Government desperately needs Tesla to promote their EV initiative. Puts out a counter statement to Elon Musk's tweet. But is retailing query too covered as Tesla is in single brand retailing?

Could Tesla launch in India?-makeinindia.jpg

Quote:
Govt to Tesla: No local sourcing required for manufacturing in India

It is only for retail trading of goods that sourcing conditions are mandated. Such norms are not applicable to manufacturers as goods are produced in India, it added
ET

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd May 2017 at 17:04.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks