Team-BHP - Could Tesla launch in India?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Electric Cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/)
-   -   Could Tesla launch in India? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/148863-could-tesla-launch-india.html)

Two Indians, its CFO Deepak and CIO Jay are part of plans of Tesla's aggresive moves beyond the United States and Europe as its aspirations now encompass doing high-volume business in Asia, especially India.

Tesla's Affordable 2016 Model E Compact rendered
Could Tesla launch in India?-teslamodele1.jpg

Quote:

Model E, during a recent Q&A session at the California Public Utilities Commission, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said that the company is aiming to produce a car around 20 percent smaller than the Model S "at probably half the cost", starting from $35,000, and with a battery range of about 200 miles (320 kilometers).

Quote:

India is a huge potential market where we need to be," Ahuja said in an
interview. "I think sometime in 2015 seems to make sense to enter India, but it's difficult to make an official announcement
Quote:

Tesla is currently developing its least-expensive, third-generation car that Ahuja said is ideal for markets such as India.
Quote:

There is potentially a demand in India, but Tesla is a high-end luxury car so demand might be somewhat constrained initially and be similar to other luxury cars

Cheers!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/31803394.cms

Excellent news, even if it's just another costly foreign vehicle, I believe it could change the Indian electric car market. It could bring the lobbying power that an american company can get and being in subsidy that is currently denied to the electric car.

It is a dream car for me and something I would like to buy in future.

So why would Indians buy a Tesla. If my understanding is correct, people that buy Tesla's are just Prius type of buyers who have more money to spent? Two things are relevant for them: the environment and to be seeing to do something about it. Ie buy a green car. Im not criticizing here, whatever floats your boat. Ive bought cars just because I thought they looked pretty. Whatever is relevant to you. Pretty is not a better or worse buying criteria then green as far as Im concerned.

Now, whereas green, or being perceived green is a huge thing in the US and most of Europe, I really don't see much evidence of green being relevant for India or Indians. Take for instance the Times of India. How many "green" articles have appeared over the last year? Or any newspaper for that matter.

In the US or Europe being green is part of every day life for everybody. Everyday its in the news, legislation is heavily favoring green solutions, huge political topic with dedicated green political parties, successful too. I dont see anything anywhere near that level of green awareness in Inidia.

If green isn't relevant you could buy for the same money a much better, bigger, faster car. So why would Indians buy green?

Jeroen

Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 3388818)
If green isn't relevant you could buy for the same money a much better, bigger, faster car. So why would Indians buy green?

Jeroen

Well, green is extremely relevant to Indians - it's just that the word "green" means two completely different things to Europeans (West in general) and Indians.

For Europeans (and other Westerners), "green" means the green of leaves (environment). For Indians, "green" means greenbacks (money). :)

Even in the luxury and premium segments (which is where Tesla cars would be positioned), Indians prefer "green" - the low running costs of diesel cars, thanks to both the artificially skewed fuel prices and the inherently better efficiency of diesels. Sales of petrol cars form a small percentage of these segments.

The only thing that can beat the "green" (as the Indian mind understands the word) of diesels is the "green" of a Tesla, which is completely and truly "green" :D (as understood by both Indians and Europeans).

Quote:

Since 'Green' is the future and Tesla doesn't want to miss the opportunity. The BMW's i8 has already quite a few bookings from India and are slated to get the first batch of allotments.

In the segment it intends to slot the Tesla, price in the customers viewpoint will not be an issue.

Cheers!

A good reason to buy a Tesla is the performance, safety and reliability it offers. Performance because the zero lag silent motor makes the German diesels seem like tractors, safety as the Tesla's rating exceeds 5 stars and calls for an overhaul of the current system. Reliability comes from the bare minimum moving parts present in the drivetrain.

The only thing standing in the way is the charge point infrastructure, the car meets the requirement of a large majority of regular well heeled users in urban areas where setting up the charging points should be easier.

Tesla is a car for the future, surely. A production EV that can run decent distances and attain good speeds. I'm happy they're thinking of launching it here.
And their design language rivals Jag's. (Which really is something for an electric vehicle).
In comparison, cheaper EVs ala Reva look like they were designed by middle school kids while the i8 is too sci-fi.

BUT, will Indians really buy them? I mean, the average Indian, irrespective of his income/ wealth thinks nothing for people outside his immediate family. The nation, or his fellow countrymen aren't anywhere in his purview. I'm sure 99.9% Indians will even deny the very existence of the environment. And this mindset seems unlikely to change in our lifetimes, at the very least.

Anyway, the Tesla would be a nice alternative to the Germans and the Jags at comparable prices. And the handful who might wish to flaunt their green credentials alongside their wealth might actually buy one. :)

I am on a business trip to LA. On my way from downtown to Santa Monica, saw this Tesla in flesh for the first time. Looks great and has great road presence. Enjoy the pics and don't miss the HOLLYWOOD sign in the background.

Cheers,
SidCould Tesla launch in India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1394597991.930131.jpgCould Tesla launch in India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1394598009.863454.jpgCould Tesla launch in India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1394598037.648968.jpgCould Tesla launch in India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1394598080.367482.jpg

Hi all, According to Mr. Deepak Ahuja, the Chief Financial Officer of Tesla Motors; Tesla’s upcoming car, the Model X, would be an ideal fit for a country like India. This is probably because the Model X is an SUV, and the soft SUV segment in India is growing in double digits every year.

Thanks

AD

Source: http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...2015-12629.htm

Today's news article says Tesla will enter India with the upcoming Model 3.
Interesting indeed!
Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by driveanddrive (Post 3584576)
Today's news article says Tesla will enter India with the upcoming Model 3.
Interesting indeed!
Link

Please don't take it the other way, but I (and I guess many) will take the "sensational" news of Times of India and its subsidiaries with a pinch of salt.

Having said that, it makes huge sense for Tesla to start selling in India. I wonder if they will send CKD's here or even think of establishing local supply lines? CKD's will sure cost a bomb compared to US prices. I hope the government can at-least waive off customs/taxes for these cars. $35K isn't a huge stretch for people who can afford a Civic or Corolla. Else it joins the premium league out of reach for many.

Quote:

So why would Indians buy green?

Jeroen

Jeroen

Dear Jeroen,

Yes this is a valid question, but Indians love to Display, and plus Tesla is an Import. Will not be surprised if Tesla is successful in India.

I think the biggest hurdle for electric cars in India would be access to public charging ports.

For people not living in their own landed houses charging options would be few if any, where would one charge the vehicle if your parking spot is off-street or even within a condominium? Adding charging ports at fuel pumps might be a workable solution, but again, who will park and wait at the fuel pump for 2-3 hours or more?

Tesla are heading for disaster if they launch the car in India. Nothing wrong with the car or the buyer's, problem is infrastructure. Where do we charge the car? Forget public charging points, even Indian cities don't get 24X7 power. Imagine driving for hours till you find a public charging point somewhere and a few minutes after you plug in the power goes with no information on when it will come back! Yes, charging points are a issue too, government is still sleeping over this issue. When we can't make 1/2 meter of pot hole free road, how do we expect the government to even think of public charging points? Let's not even talk about tier 2 cities right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit (Post 3584677)
Tesla are heading for disaster if they launch the car in India. Nothing wrong with the car or the buyer's, problem is infrastructure. Where do we charge the car?

Tesla Model S has a range of 275 miles when driven at 65Mph. Which is 440KM at 104 Kmph. Very decent I would say.

They should be more worried about the price. Even in USA I don't see it going mainstream yet. The client I worked in had charging points in their place for a nominal charge every month. I guess the same can be implemented here as well.

Model 3 might be conceivable in India or better a hatchback. I would gladly buy even if I have to pay premium sedan pricing for it.

Nissan can use this opportunity to bring in the Leaf. It is more affordable model.

All this seems a distant dream. Lexus was supposed to come to India years ago but they haven't found the route I supposelol:

Similar case with Tesla too I think.