Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2016, 10:28   #61
BHPian

re: Could Tesla launch in India?

Sometime back Elon Musk tweeted that Tesla Model 3 would also be available in India. Fantastic news, I must say.

Quote:
Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk
Adding several more countries to Model 3 order page tonight. Check for details, but will include India, Brazil, SA, SK, NZ, Sing & Ireland.
Could Tesla launch in India?-img_3423.jpg

Report via Indian News papers- Tesla to launch Model 3 in India (Report via Business Standard)

Quote:
Silicon Valley-based electric vehicle manufacturer Tesla Motors plans to begin taking orders for its most affordable car yet, the $35,000 Model 3, in India. The car, which will be unveiled shortly, is expected to enter production in late 2017, with the company kicking off deliveries in North America soon after.

Billionaire and Tesla Motor CEO Elon Musk, in a tweet said, “Adding several more countries to Model 3 order page tonight. Check for details, but will include India, Brazil, SA, SK, NZ, Sing (Singapore) & Ireland.”

In a blog post, Tesla said that deliveries will be staggered depending on region, as regulators in different parts of the world require small production changes. As the company ramps up production, it would bring the Model 3 to Europe, APAC and right-hand-drive markets such as India and the UK.

This isn’t the first tryst of Tesla with India. Last year Musk had tweeted that setting up a Gigafactory (a massive lithium-ion battery manufacturing plant) in India would make sense in the long term given the country’s renewable energy needs. He earlier met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to Silicon Valley where they discussed renewables and their potential in rural electrification.

In India, there is an increased push for electric vehicles which produce no emissions. The governments of Delhi and Karnataka have eliminated all local taxes on electric vehicles making them more affordable and accessible to more people. Further, under the National Electric Mobility Mission plan, the central government is planning to offer subsidies on electric vehicles further boosting their sales.

Tesla is considered the most successful electric car manufacturer in the world, with its $80,000 Model S taking on luxury sedans from giants Mercedes-Benz, Audi and BMW. The Model 3 on the other hand, it’s most affordable car, will go head to head in the entry-level luxury car segment taking on heavyweights such as the BMW 3-Series, Audi A4 and Mercedes-Benz C-Class.

The company’s plans to open orders in India drew the attention of new-age technology company leaders. Vijay Shekhar Sharma, co-founder and CEO of Paytm, re-tweeted Musk’s initial remark, while Vishal Gondal, the founder of GOQii tweeted to Musk asking, “Where/when can I pre-order for India Red colour?
LordSharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 16:08   #62
BHPian

Oh yes! Eagerly waiting for this. I'm guessing it would be launched somewhere around 2018-2020. Lets see what price bracket do they launch it around. I'm hoping for 30-35L.

Last edited by sngautam : 1st April 2016 at 16:16. Reason: edit
Old 1st April 2016, 16:15   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sngautam View Post
I'm hoping for 30-35L.
I have the same dream. Realistically, probably around the 60L mark.

OT: He may just be playing an April fool's day prank.
Harneet.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 18:03   #64
BHPian

*Rumour* - Tesla could enter India in 2015

He did play the April fool prank at the unveiling of Model 3 though. Anyone who watched it online would know what I'm talking about. This is one company which I'm thoroughly impressed with. May be some time in future I can get my hands on one of these.

Last edited by pamiboy : 1st April 2016 at 18:04.
Old 2nd April 2016, 17:42   #65
BHPian

Just reserved mine 😁. I really hope they bring it here on time. Elon Musk also posted that they will be installing superchargers throughout India.
Old 3rd April 2016, 21:25   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla will be come to India before the production of Tesla Model 3 starts - late 2017 or early 2018!

Quote:
If you are in a mid-sized metro anywhere in North America, Europe or Asia, you will be able to buy and get the car serviced
Could Tesla launch in India?-capture.jpg

Quote:
Tesla could be here to build infrastructure like superchargers and destination chargers, which will be an absolute must before the car arrives in India.
Gifts for all who have ordered the Tesla Model 3 with special consideration for those who stood in queue for booking!
Could Tesla launch in India?-1.jpg

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...del-3/51671831

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd April 2016 at 21:37.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 08:10   #67
BANNED

@volkman10; I am wondering that was there more to the Modi agenda when he visited Tesla in the US. I thought it was about the power packs, but now am I seeing things. A Tesla plant with heavy reductions in duties and taxes. Link it with the Power Minister trying to make a big push for EVs in India.
Old 4th April 2016, 08:48   #68
Senior - BHPian

Booked mine! I am pretty sure Jalandhar is never going to see an electric car infrastructure. Bbbuutt..we'll see. For now it is a good feeling to know I may just own a Tesla sitting here.
Old 4th April 2016, 08:51   #69
Team-BHP Support

In cities like Mumbai that are apartment heavy, the absence of usable electric points at your parking is a big limited for EVs generally.

I live in a fairly recent and modern apartment complex and yet there is absolutely no provision or foresight to provide for electrical points near parkings.

I'm not sure how this should be addressed in popularising EVs. Electric charging stations to my mind are more emergency measures, not default powering solution.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 10:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
In cities like Mumbai that are apartment heavy, the absence of usable electric points at your parking is a big limited for EVs generally.

I live in a fairly recent and modern apartment complex and yet there is absolutely no provision or foresight to provide for electrical points near parkings.
Necessity is the mother of all invention.

In older societies, the logical solution would be to draw a 3 core wire from the individual meter underground to the parking space.

In not to distant future 2018, builders would themselves brand their societies EV ready and may even have Tesla branding, saying "Tesla Ready".

This will also give bragging rights that we are eco-friendly ready.
Old 4th April 2016, 11:19   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@volkman10; I am wondering that was there more to the Modi agenda when he visited Tesla in the US. I thought it was about the power packs, but now am I seeing things. A Tesla plant with heavy reductions in duties and taxes. Link it with the Power Minister trying to make a big push for EVs in India.
I doubt this and really wonder about the business case for a plant in India - I understand it can be export focused too but even so, I can't see it happening (delighted if I'm wrong of course). The local off-take simply won't justify anything but an import structure.

Conversely, it should be the Govt that show throw up reduced duty structures to try and test the waters and popularize EV technology. Time to walk the talk on energy efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Necessity is the mother of all invention.

In older societies, the logical solution would be to draw a 3 core wire from the individual meter underground to the parking space.

In not to distant future 2018, builders would themselves brand their societies EV ready and may even have Tesla branding, saying "Tesla Ready".
Personally, I am in the middle ground no man's land. We're not an old society which is flexi enough to do such jugaad solutions. Our society has forms to be completed for the tiniest thing and short point (pun intended) is that plug points are not an available option near our cars.

I for one would be very happy to go electric with a Tesla like product if it is practical enough to use.

On a separate note, touring in EVs may not be as easy either. For instance, how does one go to slightly off beat places in these cars is still a question mark. These I guess these are teething issues that new tech will have to deal with. To my mind, the govt will really have to incentivise EV tech through suitable duty structures or otherwise for there to be infra investment in the right direction and therefore mass acceptability of the products.
Old 16th July 2016, 21:05   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Nitin Gadkari visits Tesla Motors, offers to promote JV with Indian auto Inc for EVs.

They evinced keen interest in knowing whether there was any subsidy on electric vehicles in India. Gadkari asked Tesla executives to outline their proposals for entry into the Indian market.
Gadkari was informed that 400,000 advance bookings have been done for Tesla's model X. There were some bookings from India as well, but they refused to disclose the number.

Quote:
He proposed to the Tesla senior executives to make India their Asia manufacturing hub and offered land near major Indian ports to facilitate export of their vehicles to South and South East Asian countries.
Quote:
Senior executives at Tesla admitted that their manufacturing hub has to be outside the United States to tap markets in the rest of the world and appreciated the Indian offer of cooperation, which they said will certainly be considered at the appropriate time in the future. They said India will definitely be a market for their next generation low cost sustainable model-3
Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th July 2016 at 21:07.
Old 17th July 2016, 10:35   #73
BANNED

Tesla has a different business model. All facilities are also company owned (naturally since the power train technology is different), so if they follow the same model then the 'framework' will take even longer. I do hope they come, and India may even wish to use their compact power packs with solar power in the rural areas.
Old 18th July 2016, 09:56   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Nitin Gadkari visits Tesla Motors, offers to promote JV with Indian auto Inc for EVs.
--
More on Tesla -
India urges Tesla to set up plant in India, make it an Asia manufacturing hub - Tesla non- committal yet.

Could Tesla launch in India?-teslangl2016071686135699x380.jpg
Could Tesla launch in India?-teslangl2016071686134699x380.jpg
Quote:
the Tesla team said that while they have future plans for trucks and pick-up vans, buses and two-wheelers are not on the cards
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th July 2016 at 09:57.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 18:37   #75
aLY
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Its a great initiative from our Road Transport Minister , however, I suppose, he should insist those manufacturers who are already present in India to bring their EVs into our market, instead of pushing a company like Tesla to come and set up a plant here. This will straightly kill the need of setting up a new plant, instead they have to invest only on a new production line. A huge saving on Capital!!!.

I could see that the FAME incentives provided by the Government is not being used completely by the end users. A quick visit to the FAME India website reveals that only 17% of the allotted amount is disposed till now.

For your information, the total allotted incentive is 495 Crores for FY15-16 & FY16-17(Cumulative). IE, the remaining 83% need to be used in next 8 months. This is clearly indicating the unavailability of a reliable EV India, be it 4 wheeler or 3 wheeler or 2 wheeler.
aLY is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks