Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2014, 14:39   #196
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I see no cause for concern. Keep your vehicle documents like RC book, insurance , LTT in TN, PUC, driving license in place. If you intend to come by GQ, preserve the toll receipts. You are coming to stay for 2-3 days. So even if the cops catch you, show the documents and the toll receipts to the RTO guy and tell him that you will be leaving bangalore in about 3 days time.
But I have saw reports in this thread about RTO and Police tearing toll receipts.
Old 25th March 2014, 14:42   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Need to visit my sister who lives in Bellandur,ORR. Is it advisable to come via my car. These things are scaring me. There are no tickets on the Rail. I am not ready to pay 80-90k for a 2-3 day visit. And also I need to make a trip to Shirdi by Car, how is the situation in rest of Karnataka?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I see no cause for concern. Keep your vehicle documents like RC book, insurance , LTT in TN, PUC, driving license in place. If you intend to come by GQ, preserve the toll receipts. You are coming to stay for 2-3 days. So even if the cops catch you, show the documents and the toll receipts to the RTO guy and tell him that you will be leaving bangalore in about 3 days time.
On the contrary, I would advice to be very careful if you are visiting Bangalore before March 31st. Take photocopies of all important documents including toll receipts. There have been instances of cops tearing away toll/ fuel receipts that are given to them for checking.

These cops won't listen to any logic if you are caught near IT Zones. You can prove your innocence with service receipts, etc but it's not going to be a pleasant experience you would want to remember.

For example- our fellow member was caught visiting the state for 5 days in his parents car, and was made to pay just because he was caught in an IT Zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjango View Post
I am also in the same situation. I had got my car from trivandrum last weekend since I couldn't get a bus ticket for the last minute trip. And was planning to drive back tomorrow. Now looks like I have to spend tomorrow in RTO office. I showed toll receipt, PUC certificate, even insurance. Everything was done in Trivandrum. The RTO inspector who caught me was unconvinced and not too pleased. He took my RC book, license and insurance paper . They are specifically targetting techies, as they were standing outside wipro gate on sarjapur road.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th March 2014 at 15:00.
Old 25th March 2014, 14:59   #198
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

For example- our fellow member was caught visiting the state for 5 days in his parents car, and was made to pay just because he was caught in an IT Zone.

What was he asked to pay !! The whole LTT or the fine amount on the spot !
Old 25th March 2014, 14:59   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I have saw reports in this thread about RTO and Police tearing toll receipts.
May be the better option will be to get address proof to show that you are residing outside bangalore (gas bill, E bill etc). As pointed out earlier, keep all the vehicle related documents in place along with the toll receipts.
Is there anything to be done beyond this???
Old 25th March 2014, 15:07   #200
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Suddenly the authorities have got a new assignment it seems.
Doesn't anyone on the forum know some influential politician maybe in the opposition party?

I don't see a solution coming out of this, unless there is political pressure on the state government.
Old 25th March 2014, 15:10   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
What was he asked to pay !! The whole LTT or the fine amount on the spot !
The whole LTT. Here's the rest of the post in case you have missed it. I hope his issues have been resolved now, and got his papers back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjango View Post
The inspector told me to come to Bannerghatta office. The stamp on the receipt says Electronic city RTO. Probably the only reason he took my documents is because I actually showed him the documents, toll receipts, PUC etc... Also I tried telling him that I had been there just for 5 days and not 30 days, which is required. This for some reason pissed him off and he Made me wait for one hour saying he will talk to me later. He also told me to go to court and prove all that and he is least bothered about my proofs. I tried telling him that I was leaving the next day to get the car back to trivandrum. One of his arguments was that since I am a wipro bangalore employee and the car is in my name I had to pay for that. I don't see any connection between the two. In fact I have a karnataka registered car that I usually use. This car was meant for my parents at my home town. After he finally relented and gave me a receipt, he made another statement "you keralites are all habitual offenders and make all this receipts up. Otherwise how would you have all the documents ready". Not even for a moment did he consider that I could actually have been right. Very bad attitude from a "responsible" official. Anoth Sorry for the rambling post. I am really frustrated with the whole thing.
Old 25th March 2014, 15:24   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The whole LTT. Here's the rest of the post in case you have missed it. I hope his issues have been resolved now, and got his papers back.

Thats a whooping amount. He must have paid more than 50k for a visit to Bangalore. Thats a total nightmare for anyone !!
Old 25th March 2014, 15:26   #203
Senior - BHPian

Reading this thread I feel sorry for people visiting Bangalore. This is complete harassment of common people in the name of law. Rather than building better roads and maintaining discipline on road, administration looks to be only interested in filling their coffers.

Yes, do fine offenders in the name of law but a distinction should be there among the guilty and not guilty. Otherwise, what's the point of having a law. I am surprised no PIL has been filed regarding this blatant abuse of power by officials.
Thankfully, I don't see such things happening in North India.
Old 25th March 2014, 15:28   #204
BHPian

Seems this has not made enough news in the newspapers till now to garner the required public support. Anyone in this forum who can help make it? Would help us all a lot.

In the mean time I e-mailed the Secretary concerned who issued the notification last week. No reply till now. Here goes the text I sent to him:

" Dear Respected Sir,

I just came across a copy of an amendment to the Karnataka Motor Vehicles Taxation Bill 2014 which is hereby attached with this e-mail.

Just wanted to seek your kind clarity if this applies to all motor vehicles or just motor cabs plying in Karnataka. If a person is traveling to Bangalore for a 2-3 months period, does he have to pay the life-time tax which amounts to almost 10% of the price of an average 4-5 year old car?

I am asking this question as I have to come to Bangalore for a short period of time in the near future.

Thanks a lot!

Regards
"

Wanted to make him feel my anger on this but you never know if it backfires so used a rather soft language. These bureaucrats and politicians.
vinayrathore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 15:51   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I don't see a solution coming out of this, unless there is political pressure on the state government.
I guess. If some one in Tamil Nadu 'Media' picks up this and makes it a big issue, then I am sure Tamil Nadu or other state police would melt out the same treatment to KA vehicles, then maybe this would come to a end.

first time I am actually afraid to travel to a particular place. Where is this going?
Old 25th March 2014, 16:57   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess. If some one in Tamil Nadu 'Media' picks up this and makes it a big issue, then I am sure Tamil Nadu or other state police would melt out the same treatment to KA vehicles, then maybe this would come to a end....
The question is would that really hurt the KA government?? In such a case too, it's the common people who would be at the receiving end.
Old 25th March 2014, 17:09   #207
Senior - BHPian

30 days is a foolish thing as is life time tax. I might pay LTT but everyone should be enabled to choose different terms. But lot of people also have been doing the wrong thing by purposefully trying to get toll receipts etc even when they have been living here.

I read U R Ananthamurthy's novel Avasthe (written in 1978) where the characters talk about how the Police are there to protect the system not the common man.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 17:09   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
administration looks to be only interested in filling their coffers
Absolutely agree.

In the Karnataka budget, the CM had mentioned that the Motor Vehicles Act would be amended to plug revenue loss from vehicles registered in other states plying on Karnataka roads. But there were no details on how this will be done

Guess now its quite clear. By changing the 11 month orders of the High Court to 30 days and initiating a witchhunt (tearing tolls, entering apartments etc) for outstation cars, they have devised a clever scheme. The icing on the cake was what Rajith had shared that no refund (for folks caught) would be given for folks while leaving Karnataka.

I really wonder what happened to the proposals when the Transport Commissoners had met which were to go live 1 April 2014.(http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=100216).
Old 25th March 2014, 17:13   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Absolutely agree.

In the Karnataka budget, the CM had mentioned that the Motor Vehicles Act would be amended to plug revenue loss from vehicles registered in other states plying on Karnataka roads. But there were no details on how this will be done

Guess now its quite clear. By changing the 11 month orders of the High Court to 30 days and initiating a witchhunt (tearing tolls, entering apartments etc) for outstation cars, they have devised a clever scheme. The icing on the cake was what Rajith had shared that no refund (for folks caught) would be given for folks while leaving Karnataka.

I really wonder what happened to the proposals when the Transport Commissoners had met which were to go live 1 April 2014.(http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=100216).
This scenario is like Making hay while the sun shines. Till March 31st (I guess) no one dare question the RTO guys. Hopefully normalcy is returned from April 1st onwards.
Old 25th March 2014, 19:41   #210
Senior - BHPian

@vinayrathore: you will not be paying 10% of the value of your 5 year old car. You have to pay 14% of invoice value + cess.
So for my 2008 NHC, whose current market value will be Rs. 2-2.5 Lakhs, I will have to pay about Rs. 90,000/-. and For my 2010 Ford Figo, which will sell for hopefully 3 Lakhs, I will have to pay Rs. 65,000/- That is definitely too much that I may dispose off the cars before shifting to Bangalore or else store it till these stupid rules are eased off.
Bangalore is no longer the beautiful place it was. Now these jokers are trying to milk it for all it's worth. Ah I miss the late 80's and early 90's.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks