Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2014, 14:35   #271
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

One of my friends TN reg SX4 was Seized by the RTO recently in EC,the LTT came to around 1 Lakh. His car is 5 year old and you would know the actual value of a petrol SX4 now.

He told that he got the car back without paying the LTT but submitted his wife's DL and still with them.

Just had short chat on this while leaving to office, so couldn't get more details from him.I will check it over the weekend about his experience in the RTO office.
Old 28th March 2014, 15:10   #272
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
but submitted his wife's DL and still with them.
Ha, he is safe if they are having only the license. He can apply for a duplicate stating that it is lost.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 28th March 2014 at 15:11.
Old 29th March 2014, 12:19   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Very good of you to ask for adjustment

These guys dont work for our convenience. Is there is no Sakala (guarantee of service with time limits) schemes for RTO services ? I was able to demand such services through Sakala with the other mightily corrupt BBMP office and it works well.
As far as my knowledge goes,it does apply to RTO offices. The problem is not many know how to apply under this and get their work done in a reasonable timeframe.

http://karnataka.gov1.in/sakala-services/

EDIT: Just saw that the appellate authority details are mentioned in the site. So we apply normally and escalate should there be a delay ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 29th March 2014 at 12:23.
Old 29th March 2014, 13:47   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One of my friends TN reg SX4 was Seized by the RTO recently in EC,the LTT came to around 1 Lakh. His car is 5 year old and you would know the actual value of a petrol SX4 now.

He told that he got the car back without paying the LTT but submitted his wife's DL and still with them.

Just had short chat on this while leaving to office, so couldn't get more details from him.I will check it over the weekend about his experience in the RTO office.
Think there is something wrong with the road tax calculation. For a two year old SX4, I had paid roughly 75k of tax. My car is now five years old so I bet the depreciation applicable on the car would have brought down the current value of LTT to be less than 75k at least. Here is the calculations:

Price of a 2009 SX4 ex-factory - 6,35,938
Add 12.5% VAT - 79,492
Ex-Showroom price without discount - 7,15,430

Now road tax = 13% of vehicle price + 1.5% Cess.
Hence, Road tax for the car = 1,03,737
For a car whose age is 4-5yrs, the tax payable is 75% of the LTT calculated above = 0.75 * 1,03,737 = 77,802

In case the car is between 5-6yrs of age, the tax payable is 69% of LTT = 0.69 * 1,03,737 = 71,578

Last edited by audioholic : 29th March 2014 at 13:56.
Old 31st March 2014, 21:44   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4life View Post
...when I asked whether I will get a refund if I migrate to another state, he answered that I will get back the amount in less that 6 months time. I showed his the receipts of a car and bike which I had brought here and were transferred to my State 2 years(Car) and 1 Year(Bike), he become furious. I even offered him that they don't need to pay the TAX refund, instead they can adjust it with the TAX amount of the new car, for which I am about to pay tax....

Thanks for sharing your story. the govt is screwing the tax payers with no repercussions.Earlier on, I had suggested that the Govt's of different states adjust the tax due v. refund amongst them. From your story, the same State cannot seem to (or does not want to) make an adjustment. I think this calls for a public interest lawsuit/case. I will be happy to contribute..
Old 1st April 2014, 10:57   #276
BHPian

Quote:

Bulzire, Any update on this? How did they leave the vehicle, by getting just the DL? Did your friend say that, they came here for a visit? Generally RTO officials do not listen to anything, surprised to see that they left the vehicle before paying LTT.
Old 1st April 2014, 11:14   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In case the car is between 5-6yrs of age, the tax payable is 69% of LTT = 0.69 * 1,03,737 = 71,578
I am not sure about the exact LTT quote given by the RTO official. He told that it was around a lakh while in a casual talk, I did not ask him for further detail as we both were in a hurry rushing to office. Let me check with him once again. And the car is nearing five years and it should fall under the 75% category I believe. so I think he would had rounded off it as around a lakh while speaking to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Bulzire, Any update on this? How did they leave the vehicle, by getting just the DL? Did your friend say that, they came here for a visit? Generally RTO officials do not listen to anything, surprised to see that they left the vehicle before paying LTT.
I was out of city for the long weekend and didn't meet him. My friend relocated from Chennai and bought the car along with him. He bought 2 flats here and settled down now. So he doesn't take the car to TN that often to have proof of receipts or bills. There is no chance for the RTO also to believe that he is a visitor. And moreover he did not know that there is a drive like this is on.

Anyways, i will check with him and update soon.

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the Multi-Quote option to reply to multiple posts, instead of submitting back to back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 1st April 2014 at 13:21. Reason: Posts merged
Old 1st April 2014, 11:34   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I am not paying road tax to work in Karnataka, I am paying tax to use my car on Karnataka roads.
Nobody needs to pay road tax to work in Karnataka. Yes when one keeps car at the place of residence and work then one should pay road tax as well.

Quote:
So how do it matter where we work as long as the person has valid documents to prove his short term stay? And why is it morally and ethically wrong? Just because we 'work' here?
Border of two states TN and AP are just 30 Kms away from Bangalore. One can go easily to either state and get the toll receipts. So, once you get the that toll receipt which is good for another 11 months of driving. Rather than paying legitimate tax of few thousands of rupees one can *manage* in few hundreds or even less. This is morally wrong. If you have permanent residence here, phone connection, work place then you are not tourists.

Quote:
(I'm being specific to the 1 month rule. Not supporting people who don't pay up even after 11 months continuos stay)
People grossly misused 11 month rule in KA that is why they came up for 1 month rule. I am not supporting either the 1 month rule.

Quote:
Somehow sadly- I am getting a negative vibe that outsiders are not welcome to work here. And if they do, they need to 'pay up' for it. This even though- I have more friends here than even my home state. And your post, my friend, is filled with that attitude is what I feel.

You are taking this discussion to entirely different direction (outsiders vs. insiders & regionalism). IMHO there is no need for such writings and taking it to entirely different direction and it is uncalled for. There are many KA residents, who registers their high end cars in Pondicherry and other tax heaven states.

For your information, I also came to Bangalore few years back from outside. I also had out of state car and bikes with me. But when I started working here, I paid the tax within 11 months, changed registration number, used the car and sold off. After that, I bought another car in KA only. In my home state the taxes are even lower than KL and nearby states (2 - 4 %). I could have easily bought my car there.
Also, another thing is, when I bought Tata Safari one of my close relative was VP in Tata Motors. He gave me offer to buy Safari in Pune to get cool employee discount of 1.4 Lakh in car. Only thing is, I had to register car in Pune as it is applicable only in Pune city. Which I refused politely.

Some of our politicians also use this as "I belongs to so and so caste that is why I am being targeted". So, this is just people putting their opinion on cars and road-taxes in KA not about persons and insider vs. outsider.
anujmishra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 11:39   #279
Senior - BHPian

The only solution to this problem is to centralize the tax collection and give out only annual dividends to the state. In case of transfer of registration to another state, the annual dividends can be credited to the new state. This is the only way the sanctity of the current law can be preserved without being abused by the respective RTOs and their states as well as by the automobile owners.
Old 1st April 2014, 13:55   #280
BHPian

A question: If I live in Hosur and commute to Bangalore every day for work, where does that leave me legally? Would I have to pay LTT in Bangalore?
Old 1st April 2014, 14:15   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
A question: If I live in Hosur and commute to Bangalore every day for work, where does that leave me legally? Would I have to pay LTT in Bangalore?
The moment you are inside Karnataka territory, no matter for how much duration - you are legally liable to pay life time tax.

This is how the barbaric law is and there no escaping it.

You should rather leave your TN registered vehicle at some roadside hotel/stopover on the way to Karnataka border and take an auto or two wheeler for the remaining distance.

Last edited by DCEite : 1st April 2014 at 14:17.
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 16:08   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The moment you are inside Karnataka territory, no matter for how much duration - you are legally liable to pay life time tax.

You should rather leave your TN registered vehicle at some roadside hotel/stopover on the way to Karnataka border and take an auto or two wheeler for the remaining distance.
Can you advice me please. I am from Delhi and driving down to Bangalore in my Delhi registered Fabia this coming Friday from Hyderabad for 2 days only and would leave on Sunday.

Do i need to pay this tax when entering Bangalore? If so, then i guess it would be better to take a bus or something dont you think so?
Old 1st April 2014, 16:26   #283
BHPian

Quote:

I think this thread is now running more on emotion than common sense. The law says that if you are here from more than 30 days then you are liable to pay LTT. Am sure no one in his right mind would agree to pay if the visit is only for a week or so.

Lets keep the discussion constructive and cite examples/anecdotes which help.
Caveat - am also an 'outsider' and am equally aghast at this, just one more example of the tyranny of the lawmakers against the most disadvantaged section of the society - the average white collar joe who has makes his living by ability and effort
Old 1st April 2014, 16:30   #284
BHPian

Quote:

Pardon me but, I somehow do not understand the tone of your reply and judge whether it is a serious one or sarcastic. I seriously would like to know.

If I legally reside in a different state and only visit Karnataka, i do not have to pay the road tax, right? Now, "visiting" means, I come here for some purpose and leave, and do not intend to reside here. But, what if you "visit" every morning and leave in the evening? I should still be called a visitor, right? No law should define me a resident just because I decide to visit again and again.

In such a scenario, where does I stand legally? And, if I am not legally a resident, would proof of residence of Hosur be enough to keep me away from trouble?
Old 1st April 2014, 16:55   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
I think this thread is now running more on emotion than common sense. The law says that if you are here from more than 30 days then you are liable to pay LTT. Am sure no one in his right mind would agree to pay if the visit is only for a week or so.
Yes the law states that. But how would one - who is constantly moving between states prove that he has not been in Bangalore for more than 1 month?
The traffic police personal routinely keep record of sighted out of state vehicles in the city, even if they don't catch you, you can be rest assured that the RTO already has your vehicle number in the database with the date of sighting.

Now imaging if tomorrow (god forbid) he is caught, and he argues that he is not a native of Karnataka - but what if RTO has proof - they might have already recorded the vehicle number inside Bangalore, say 3-4 months back. What would one do now?

The point here is not what is legal or what is not. The point is that it's difficult us to prove *otherwise*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Can you advice me please. I am from Delhi and driving down to Bangalore in my Delhi registered Fabia this coming Friday from Hyderabad for 2 days only and would leave on Sunday.

Do i need to pay this tax when entering Bangalore? If so, then i guess it would be better to take a bus or something dont you think so?
You can show toll receipts and vehicle pollution certificate of Delhi. Should not be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Pardon me but, I somehow do not understand the tone of your reply and judge whether it is a serious one or sarcastic. I seriously would like to know.

If I legally reside in a different state and only visit Karnataka, i do not have to pay the road tax, right? Now, "visiting" means, I come here for some purpose and leave, and do not intend to reside here. But, what if you "visit" every morning and leave in the evening? I should still be called a visitor, right? No law should define me a resident just because I decide to visit again and again.

In such a scenario, where does I stand legally? And, if I am not legally a resident, would proof of residence of Hosur be enough to keep me away from trouble?
Again as i explained to hothatchaway, legally you are good. But you will have a very tough time explaining your case - specially if your number is already entered in the "Spotted" database of RTO since you constantly do up and down (obviously for more than 1 month i suppose) between TN and KA.

Last edited by DCEite : 1st April 2014 at 17:01.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks