Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2014, 19:32   #391
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
All this is due to the ridiculously high road tax structure in KA. Take my case. At the time of buying the santro in chennai in 2008, the life time tax paid was Rs 23960 @ 8% while the road tax i paid in KA considering 4 yrs depreciation is Rs 32407.
It is high time the uniform tax slab is introduced in all states in India
Sir, most ridiculous thing happend with my friend who relocated from Gurgaon to Hyd last year with HR51 registered Polo TDI Comfortline. On day 1 near Kondapura he was stopped by a herd of white cops. He explained, argued, showed his courier reciepts and other papers but all appeals went in vain. There was this commissioner who slammed challan of 72k for road tax in a month's time. They took away his car's RC and copy of DL.

He took personal loan from office, some amount he borrowed and collated and paid to the authorities. Later he paste one yellow reciept on top left front windscreen which means AP road tax has been paid by the owner of this car.

Slightly wondering now what after AP's bifurcation. Do people need to pay again for TS (Telangana)?

Last edited by OneToughRider : 13th June 2014 at 20:00.
Old 13th June 2014, 23:41   #392
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
Slightly wondering now what after AP's bifurcation. Do people need to pay again for TS (Telangana)?
Your guess is as good as mine. After bifurcation, i guess one needs to pay road tax in Telengana too. But we do have vehicles that were registered in AP which are now a part of telengana. I suppose the vehicles that have the number plates belonging to these parts need not worry about paying road tax in telengana. But they may have to pay road tax in the new AP state.
It is going to be confusion of the highest order.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 06:59   #393
BHPian

Are the KA RTO going after out of state vehicles to pile up the revenue and show it to get higher share from centre govt when uniform road tax is implemented? It was in process IIRC.
Old 14th June 2014, 08:33   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Are the KA RTO going after out of state vehicles to pile up the revenue and show it to get higher share from centre govt when uniform road tax is implemented? It was in process IIRC.
+1. I think you have cracked it right. Also seems, KA Govt is in need of revenue and every ministry have been set targets. As most of the outsiders are not their vote bank as they do not vote, they will be their easy targets for milking.
Old 14th June 2014, 08:48   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Primarily the KA RTO tweaked the rule to suit it in terms of revenue collection. Last year there was a decrease in the number of new vehicles registered.
Regardless of whether KA RTO gets the highest revenue from road tax, the uniform rad tax slab should be introduced.
Agree the KA govt is minting money through this. Are the benefits passed to the public in terms of better infrastructure, better roads etc??
Old 14th June 2014, 08:56   #396
Senior - BHPian

State governments are empowered to tax vehicles as per the seventh schedule of the Constitution in the "State List":

57. Taxes on vehicles, whether mechanically propelled or not, suitable for
use on roads, including tramcars subject to the provisions of entry 35 of List III.

But this is subject to entry 35 in the "Concurrent List" :

35. Mechanically propelled vehicles including the principles on which
taxes on such vehicles are to be levied.

The Central government is free to provide the "principles" on which such taxes are to be imposed. Unfortunately, the Centre has never done so.

Even if the Centre says that taxes should be paid only when vehicles are registered in a state - this will bring in some uniformity across the country . It will nullify the recent amendment to the KA motor vehicles taxation act, and reduce arbitrariness with state governments with respect to taxation of motor vehicles.

I only hope that some changes are brought in the proposed re-drafting of the Central Motor Vehicles Act and brings relief to vehicle owners.

And even in the current situation in KA, I think it's a matter of time before a petition is filed in court challenging the recent amendment for violating article 301 of the constitution :

Subject to the other provisions of this Part, trade, commerce and intercourse throughout the territory of India shall be free.

See also http://www.legalserviceindia.com/articles/taxes_int.htm. The recent amendment is not a compensatory tax, it's meant to increase government revenues.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 14th June 2014 at 09:12.
sdp1975 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 03:25   #397
BHPian

It will be around 2.5lacs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Slightly

Can anyone tell me the approx road tax that my dad would have to pay if he is bringing his DL registered fortuner to Bangalore? Its a Sept 2010 model. Just wanted a ball park figure to decide whether he should drive down or rather hire a car for his short stay in Bangalore
Old 15th June 2014, 07:11   #398
BHPian

Guys, I am settled in Chennai and have a TN registered car. I, along with wife and son am planning a short trip, couple of days in Bangalore & a couple in Coorg sometime in September. Would like to drive rather than taking bus or train. Any risk and what precautions to be taken to avoid paying LTT due to this short trip to KA.

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 15th June 2014 at 07:27.
Old 15th June 2014, 07:17   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Guys, I am settled in Chennai and have a TN registered car. I, along with wife and son am planning a short trip, couple of days in Bangalore & a couple in Coorg sometime in September. Would like to drive rather than taking bus or train. Any risk and what precautions to be taken to avoid paying LTT due to this short ttip to KA.
I think you should preserve all your toll slips, have printed proof of the hotel stay in coorg, and you should be fine.

I had a short 2 day work in bangalore and i chose to travel by bus to avoid all this headache!
Old 15th June 2014, 07:29   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I am settled in Chennai and have a TN registered car. I, along with wife and son am planning a short trip, couple of days in Bangalore & a couple in Coorg sometime in September. Would like to drive rather than taking bus or train. Any risk and what precautions to be taken to avoid paying LTT due to this short trip to KA.
Make sure to retain all the toll receipts, latest fuel refill bills from chennai, pollution certificate(if any) etc. May keep your work place id card/proof as well.
Old 15th June 2014, 08:00   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612

Absolutely no issues for touring vehicles. As Arun said above, keep toll/petrol bills with you for a safe escape in case someone stop you.
Old 15th June 2014, 08:02   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Make sure to retain all the toll receipts, latest fuel refill bills from chennai, pollution certificate(if any) etc. May keep your work place id card/proof as well.
Thanks for the reply. But despite having all these docs I hope I am not forced into paying the tax.
Old 15th June 2014, 08:39   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most important take your address proof like EB or gas bill along with
you in addition to your company id card. This will help in prooving that you are a resident of chennai
Old 15th June 2014, 10:22   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. But despite having all these docs I hope I am not forced into paying the tax.
Nothing to worry, just you have to prove that you are not working in Bangalore and you are working in Chennai. If they still not convinced, open your boot and show them loads of luggage. That's it . In my observation, they generally target only office goers and not tourists. Have a nice trip .
Old 15th June 2014, 10:24   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Most important take your address proof like EB or gas bill along with
you in addition to your company id card. This will help in prooving that you are a resident of chennai
Thanks a lot guys for your replies. Sometimes I think why so much of hurdles are created just to travel within our own country.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks