Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2014, 17:09   #1
BHPian

Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

It seems on Feb 28 2014, an amendment was made to the Karnataka Motor Vehicles Taxation act that out state cars can stay in Bangalore for only 1 month.

I have attached a copy of the amendment which I got from another forum. One of my friend's out of state car (entered Karnataka couple of weeks back) was seized by Electronic city RTO which is refusing to release the car till the lifetime tax of 60K is paid for an 8 year old car.

This is the reason for the recent aggressive RTO checking in Bangalore.

20140313154122638.pdf

Here's a chart which one can use to calculate the approximate amount he will have to pay as tax for his outstation vehicle.
Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-tax.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 19th June 2014 at 17:31. Reason: Typo
::CMS:: is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 17:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware out of state cars : RTO (Bangalore) taxation rule amendment from Feb28 201

Well, This notification seems to be for Yellow plate (Taxis) entering Karnataka. It does'nt mention private cars and only discuss cabs for taxes as per number of passengers and size.

Does it says anything for private cars?
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 17:27   #3

Re: Beware out of state cars : RTO (Bangalore) taxation rule amendment from Feb28 201

If I am not wrong then private vehicles entering Karnataka from Maharashtra don't have to pay any state permit charges so how are they planning to track the entry date of the vehicle into the state.
Old 14th March 2014, 17:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

I guess it is applicable for Private cars also. (As I assume your friends car was Private) Bangalore is turning out to be a nightmare city for car lovers

- High Price
- Congested Streets
- Costly Fuel
- and now this

They really intend to milk the IT population in the city who shuttle between Hyderabad / Gurgaon / Pune / Bangalore.
2000rpm is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 17:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
It seems on Feb28 2014 an amendment was made to Karnataka Motor Vehicles Taxation act that only 1 month is allowed to stay in Bangalore.
I have attached the copy of the amendment which I got from another forum. One of my friend's out of state car (entered Karnataka couple of weeks back) was seized by Elec city RTO and is refusing to release the car till the life time tax of 60K is paid for an 8 year old car.

This is the reason for the recent aggressive RTO checkings in Bangalore.
And how are they going to decide whether a car has stayed in Karnataka for more than one month? It may be a naive question, but I would like to understand this.
Old 14th March 2014, 17:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
And how are they going to decide whether a car has stayed in Karnataka for more than one month? It may be a naive question, but I would like to understand this.
Here the onus is on the car owner to prove that he has not stayed for more than a month. Toll bills are normally to be saved to prove otherwise. I know some people who cross some toll outside Bangalore and enter again to show that they have not been in the city for long.
patron is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 17:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
That's easy. They would claim that you are here for more than a month, and it would be up to you to disprove them.
blacksport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 17:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For them any outside state registered car has stayed for more than a month, unless you can prove them otherwise.

Earlier with the 11 months rule it was much more relaxed, especially people on short-term assignments could use their vehicle and move on.

1 month is just ridiculous !!!
praful is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 17:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

i guess if they start stopping the cars on roads for getting tax sorted out, they will need a huge force to control traffic.
Old 14th March 2014, 17:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

The reason for the aggressive checks is that quota for the financial year end, Karnataka seems to be the only state where this illegal search and seizure is permitted. Illegal because nobody has an obligation to prove their innocence, it is up to the traffic authorities to prove their allegations. I guess along with the sunfilm rule, this should rank as one of those things the authorities and legal establishment have worked hard at to make our lives more miserable.
avira_tk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 18:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was driving my MH-04 car in Bangalore last year, when at a signal a traffic cop came and spoke something to me. Didnt understand a word. Then he went and came back with a Camera and clicked my cars pic with the number plate.

I think that is the process they follow. (Assume the pic was with time & date stamp)
2000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 18:43   #12
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

The amendment specifically mentions that this one month limit is for "motor cabs" and as such may be considered to be for cabs and not private vehicles.

For private vehicles, the 11 month deadline still holds.
Aiel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 19:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
As some other fellow-bhpians said,Toll bills can prove your date of entry into the state.

If you cannot produce toll bills, then another way to argue with the cops is to show them the PUC certificate. Just make sure that you get a new PUC certificate from your home-town on the day you set off to b'lore. That way you can argue with them that your car was not in b'lore before that date. Not sure whether the generally arrogant b'lore cops will accept it as a proof, but atleast you can give it a try, as long as there is no other way to prove.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 20:11   #14
BHPian

Maks a mockery of India as a Federal State. You pay "lifetime" tax she you buy a car in one state, shift to another state & pay "life time" tax all over again, and no one talks of a refund in the state you bought the car in the first place !!!! I wonder why no one has filed a PIL against this ? All we ask is a proper system of refunding paid tax in the state of purchase !!!!
I am sure the States can work out this among themselves instead of making us do the leg work…..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
As some other fellow-bhpians said,Toll bills can prove your date of entry into the state.

If you cannot produce toll bills, then another way to argue with the cops is to show them the PUC certificate. Just make sure that you get a new PUC certificate from your home-town on the day you set off to b'lore. That way you can argue with them that your car was not in b'lore before that date. Not sure whether the generally arrogant b'lore cops will accept it as a proof, but atleast you can give it a try, as long as there is no other way to prove.
shramik is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 20:57   #15
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

The seized vehicle is a pvt vehicle and the PUC was taken on Jan24th from his home town (dont remember the exact date). RTO says that they consider car had entered karnataka at that time and its more than 1month in karnataka and assuming that the car will be in bangalore for long time, so he has to pay the tax and before that they will not release it. What I heard from him that he is planning to approach court. I feel there should be a PIL filed since it condemns the karnataka high court rule related to a similar incident and violates the central motor taxation rules act. Moreover, the 30 days amendment was done on Feb28th and they seized the car even before completing the 30days period. At RTO he could meet a lot people in similar situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
no one talks of a refund in the state you bought
As per the rule its there, but with a catch, you have to pay the tax, get the NOC from the other state RTO and register in karnataka, then only we are eligible to get refund. Getting refund is again another story.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 14th March 2014 at 21:03.
::CMS:: is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks