Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2014, 22:05   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Bolero with ABS launched as Special Edition

Mahindra Bolero with ABS launched as Special Edition-bolerospecialeditionwapspotlight.jpg

Link: http://www.mahindrabolero.com/bolero-special-edition

(Extract from Site)

Mahindra Bolero Special Edition - Overview
Presenting the Bolero Special Edition. It will make your heart beat faster at first glance. The pearl white exteriors and sporty decals will make a statement wherever you go; into the heart of the city or deep into the wild. The European leather seats ensure you travel in luxury and style. The music system with Bluetooth and USB allows you to connect effortlessly and play your favourite tunes while you’re on the move. And the rear ABS gives you extra stability especially when you’re going round sharp bends in the road. Own one now as only 500 of these will ever be made.
Key Features »
Pearl white exteriors with sporty new decals
Luxurious eurpoean leather interiors
Blue vision headlamps
Music system with Bluetooth connectivity

Great News! ABS is finally here on the Bolero! It was much needed and much deserved. I only have one question; why only limit the ABS Bolero to 500 cars? Isnt it unfair that the other buyers will not be eligible to get an ABS Bolero once all the Special Editions are exhausted? Although knowing M&M the way i do- it is most likely a trick wherein they will promote this ABS Special Edition Bolero and then deploy the ABS on the other Bolero's once these 500 units are exhausted. (Atleast i hope they do that in the interest of Safety)

Also- this might be a silly question but I would still like to ask

What exactly is a 'rear ABS'? I've only heard of cars which are either 'ABS equipped' or 'non-ABS equipped'. Is 'rear ABS' different from 'regular ABS?' (feel free to laugh away- but do answer this)

Last edited by rahul4321 : 24th March 2014 at 22:11. Reason: addition
rahul4321 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 22:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Bolero with ABS launched as Special Edition

Is it that only rear wheels are equipped with ABS, that too a primitive one found in inexpensive motorcycles?

Also, the ABS equipped variant will have to go through ARAI, which means the cost of the car covers these additional expenses. So limiting it to few cars looks strange.

May be Mahindra will check the market response before making ABS available sd standard.
rohanjf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 23:35   #3
BHPian

If I'm not mistaken, unless the car has disc brakes on the rear wheels too, ABS is there only for the front wheels as it is unnecessary for the rear wheels to have it. If all four brakes are discs, then it would be disastrous to not have ABS, in which case the ABS monitors all the wheels.

Don't know why this car has rear ABS.
amolbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 00:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
If I'm not mistaken, unless the car has disc brakes on the rear wheels too, ABS is there only for the front wheels as it is unnecessary for the rear wheels to have it. If all four brakes are discs, then it would be disastrous to not have ABS, in which case the ABS monitors all the wheels.

Read somewhere that most of the big cars or trucks have a Load sensing pressure valve(LSPV), correct me if there is a mistake. If the load on the rear wheels is less, the LSPV will ensure that brake pressure is reduced to rear wheels which will prevent them from skidding due to loss of traction caused by a light load on the wheels. Maybe this Bolero has an electronic version of the same.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 08:27   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
What exactly is a 'rear ABS'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Is it that only rear wheels are equipped with ABS, that too a primitive one found in inexpensive motorcycles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
Bolero has a Front Disc and rear drums setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Read somewhere that most of the big cars or trucks have a Load sensing pressure valve(LSPV), correct me if there is a mistake. Maybe this Bolero has an electronic version of the same.
Spot-on Sir!

What 'Rear-ABS' means and what is the difference between this and four-wheel ABS is given below:

Quote:
Four wheel ABS is used on passenger cars and some light trucks and vans. Rear wheel ABS is used only on trucks. Rear wheel anti-lock systems are typically used on applications where rear wheel traction is affected by vehicle loading. Rear wheel ABS systems are simpler and less costly than their four wheel counterparts.

On a four wheel application, the ABS system keeps track of wheel deceleration rates with wheel speed sensors. Some have one speed sensor at each wheel while others use a common sensor in the differential or transmission for both rear wheels.

With rear wheel ABS, only a single wheel speed sensor in the differential or transmission is used for both rear wheels.

Four wheel ABS systems include those made by Bendix, Bosch, Delco Moraine, and Teves. Most rear wheel ABS systems are made by Kelsey-Hayes, though Kelsey-Hayes also makes some four wheel systems.

Kelsey-Hayes rear wheel ABS systems have been in use since 1987 on Ford F series trucks, as well as later model Ranger, Bronco, Bronco II and Explorer trucks and Aerostar vans. Ford calls their version the Rear-wheel Antilock Brake System or RABS system.

On General Motors applications, it is called the Rear Wheel Anti-Lock or RWAL system.

Kelsey-Hayes RABS and RWAL systems are nonintegral rear wheel only antilock brake systems. The conventional master brake cylinder and power booster supply brake pressure to a dual solenoid control valve for the rear brakes.

The ABS control module receives a speed signal from a single vehicle speed sensor. On Ford and Dodge applications, the sensor is in the differential. On GM, it is located in the transmission tail shaft.
SOURCE: http://repair.alldata.com/online2hel..._wheel_ABS.htm

Thanks to this thread and to the M&M Bolero, I have learnt something new today. Never knew that ABS existed in such fashion also. I was thinking only 4 wheel ABS is there in cars specifically. Wow!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 09:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to MM again. They know what people want or maybe take feedbacks well.

Maybe this is a 'test doze' and hence the number?
Old 25th March 2014, 09:39   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Kudos to MM again. They know what people want or maybe take feedbacks well.

Maybe this is a 'test doze' and hence the number?
+1.

MM is trying to improve and reach the level of Japanese giants, not fully but at least a fraction is impressive.

Appropriate technology usage to make their cars safer even when keeping costs down is a nice thought that MM has done on the Bolero.

If the 500 units get the needed sale and more bookings are made then MM will expand that number that was declared and I feel they want to gain market share along with customer satisfaction and brand loyalty.

All the best MM!

Anurag.
Old 25th March 2014, 11:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I was thinking only 4 wheel ABS is there in cars specifically
Thanks for the article Anurag.

Regarding sensors, I remember reading earlier that Scropio also has only 3 sensors (and not 4) with one each for front wheels and a common one for both rear wheels. So I guess what MM did here is they took out two sensors from the Scorpio set up and made the Bolero one ?
Old 25th March 2014, 11:20   #9
BHPian

Does it mean Rear ABS system prevents locking of rear wheels only? Can front wheels still lock up? But then how is this system useful? Steering would not be possible unless front wheels are rolling under emergency braking. Also front wheels are the ones which provide more stopping force as vehicle weight shifts forward under braking. Or am I missing something?
black_rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 11:52   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Does it mean Rear ABS system prevents locking of rear wheels only? Can front wheels still lock up?
Yes & Yes.

We can use all the additional safety we can get on Indian roads. Thus, while this is a welcome move, ABS on the front wheels shouldn't have been skipped. One of the major benefits of ABS is the ability to steer the car even after slamming on the brakes. If the Bolero's front wheels lock up - a situation more probable than at the rear - that simply isn't possible!

Last edited by GTO : 26th March 2014 at 14:18.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 16:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how M&M came up with the idea of Rear Wheel ABS and that too for 500 Boleros only. I guess the reason might be the low sale contribution of the variant (ZLX) to the overall Bolero sale. This might be an experiment to see if ABS add to its sale or make it more attractive for urban buyers.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 16:50   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I neither understand why rear wheel ABS alone. I understand this in trucks make a lot of sense as the load will be at the rear. How come is the Bolero supposed to have more weight at the rear?

Indirectly, is M&M agreeing that Bolero is a truck (by using the technology in trucks)?

Edit:: I think the 500 Boleros is a marketing trick to make the first 500 (potential) customers "special"! Once enough publicity is garnered, they most probably will start offering this on other variants too, atleast as optional. The fact is there is NO way anyone would be able to check and verify the "500" number sales part.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th March 2014 at 16:52. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 17:26   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I neither understand why rear wheel ABS alone. I understand this in trucks make a lot of sense as the load will be at the rear. How come is the Bolero supposed to have more weight at the rear?

Indirectly, is M&M agreeing that Bolero is a truck (by using the technology in trucks)?

The fact is there is NO way anyone would be able to check and verify the "500" number sales part.
Isn't the Bolero RWD? Correct me if I'm wrong. Since the rear are drums brakes they thought to make it a bit better by adding ABS.

IMO the brakes in this car have more bias set to the rear so the ABS will work more than the front brakes.

The '500 units' will be going on for life as you rightly said.

Anurag
Old 26th March 2014, 05:01   #14
BHPian

At least something is changing.

If they are doing a market study, why dont apply it to 4 wheels! Probably thats the way most of us would prefer.

PS - I would have book one among those 500 right now, if it was a 4x4 sticker instead of an ABS .
Old 26th March 2014, 14:20   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
IMO the brakes in this car have more bias set to the rear
It is the front brakes that do 70% of the stopping work. This is one of the reasons you see economy cars with superior disc brakes at the front only.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks