Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2014, 14:41   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault launches Fluence facelift at Rs. 13.99 lakh

Looks better without doubt. However, it's the Renault brand (rather the lack of interest in it) & pricing that's killing the Fluence.

The practical & popular Altis is cheaper, the snazzy Elantra is cheaper (also has a diesel AT option) and the Octavia & Jetta mid-variants cost merely a lakh more than the Fluence E4. The Fluence is neither here nor there.

If the black sheep wants to succeed, it just has to have a major differentiator to pull customers toward itself. The Fluence has none.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 15:58   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
he Fluence ideally when compared to the competition is the best all round package. Jack of all trades but master of none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But as self driven package as Vid puts it; its a perfect all rounder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If the black sheep wants to succeed, it just has to have a major differentiator to pull customers toward itself. The Fluence has none.
+ 1.

Jack of all trades strategy works well when it is launched by established brands. You often get to hear phrases like 'you just can't go wrong with', 'Good allrounder backed up the Maruti's service network' etc.

But for upcoming brands- there has to be an USP to pull customers to the showrooms - otherwise it is considered just a 'master of none' by the public.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 20:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Looks better without doubt. However, it's the Renault brand (rather the lack of interest in it) & pricing that's killing the Fluence.

The practical & popular Altis is cheaper, the snazzy Elantra is cheaper (also has a diesel AT option) and the Octavia & Jetta mid-variants cost merely a lakh more than the Fluence E4. The Fluence is neither here nor there.

Hi GTO! Am not sure I agree fully. What it has is style, outside and arguably, inside too and equipment. The Elantra is much smaller, and much less comfy at the back (and snazzy in an ugly, badly overdone way, if you ask me!) Skoda is a dying brand, I am afraid. VW is to my eye at least the boring-est brand; the Jetta is down on equipment, design esp. the interiors, and ASS reputation. So am not sure the Fluence is a write-off in this segment that is as it is declining in total sales numbers.

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2014 at 11:31. Reason: Inserting CAPS as required, thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 20:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

The Renault Fluence was in my eyes, supposed to be the next Toyota Corolla; a segment best-seller and why not? It isn't merely just a jack of all trades and a master at none. It has fresh, intelligent french styling inside and out while managing to maintain a sedate air about itself as well, it always came with more features than one could ask for, more space than the rest and the best ride quality around. It's nice that the Fluence also comes with a pretty predictable chassis and one of the better eps units around. Today, the car's motor is quite an astonishing feat in itself, giving the driver more use-able power thus managing to out accelerate powerhouses like the Cruze in terms of in-gear acceleration. Remember; it is still that little 1.5 with the of-putting power/torque figures on paper.

What was always against it, was the fact that the pre-2012 dci motor, was never the love-able little engine it is today. Also, the lack of an E4 variant at launch, meant that if one wanted a diesel car that made a statement, they had to look elsewhere. These initial impressions are what defines your market. Renault could have either made themselves a much loved brand before the advent of the Duster (putting their name up amongst the premium badges) but instead they chose to play a quirky whimsical french game.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 26th March 2014 at 20:53.
IshaanIan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 15:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
The Skoda Octavia and the Jetta are expensive propositions plus the service experience leaves a lot to be desired.

The Cruze is just old and the rear legroom is seriously in short supply. The new Altis is going to get the 1.4L D-4D with 88PS. Performance is mediocre at best.

The Fluence ideally when compared to the competition is the best all round package. Jack of all trades but master of none.

I can't think of one reason as to why I would buy the new upcoming Toyota Altis diesel over the Fluence Diesel.

Technically yes, but i feel new Altis with its strong brand value,will sell better than the Fluence. btw, the new altis is a good looker too.
until Toyota bring a better diesel engine, best all round car for me is Hyundai Elantra. i believe its the best selling in the segment.
Old 28th March 2014, 07:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Looks nice. But maybe a little late? They should have launched it earlier to cash in on the footfalls that Duster brought to the showrooms.

And I feel Renault should have given the Fluence Diesel an automatic option. The car looks so fitting for an AT transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Additionally, Renault is offering the Renault Complete Care Package with the facelifted Fluence. This package includes 2+2 year or 80,000 km warranty and 4 year road-side assistance.
This is very good.

Got a pic of the interior from the very miserly website.
Renault launches Fluence facelift at Rs. 13.99 lakh-gallery959x520_11.jpg
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 23:25   #22
BHPian

The facelift looks elegant as well as sporty, the looks justifies the name very well. This car is infact the most underrated car in its segment, I would have loved to own one only if it had more power. For the chauffeur driven folks, this makes a very good option. It has well settled underpinnings and decent legroom at the back and its loaded with decent features as well to give the competition a run for its money!
Old 29th March 2014, 00:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

If only it had more power, all disk brakes and Multi-link rear suspension...

I am not a fan of beige Steering wheel and gear handle - Gets dirty fast.

Renault is trying everything similar to Toyota, but both have failed to understand that this segment needs more power...

But definitely a good package. Good for chauffeur driven cars...
Old 29th March 2014, 05:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
If only it had more power, all disk brakes and Multi-link rear suspension...

I am not a fan of beige Steering wheel and gear handle - Gets dirty fast.

Renault is trying everything similar to Toyota, but both have failed to understand that this segment needs more power...

But definitely a good package. Good for chauffeur driven cars...
You really need to try out the Fluence before you post things about it mate
It is not short on power like it seems on paper. 20-80 in 3rd takes only a second more than the Jetta while 40-100 in 4th gear is done a second faster than the Jetta and over a second faster in both instances when compared to the Cruze. The Fluence makes quick and easy work of traffic.

Oh and it does come with discs on all four wheels as well as a multi-link suspension setup at the rear which is partly why it offers the best ride in its segment.

Just wanted to let you know this
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 08:26   #25
BANNED

Quote:
The new Altis is going to get the 1.4L D-4D with 88PS. Performance is mediocre at best.

The Fluence ideally when compared to the competition is the best all round package. Jack of all trades but master of none.

I can't think of one reason as to why I would buy the new upcoming Toyota Altis diesel over the Fluence Diesel.
I agree on the low performance but if one is looking at performance mainly then there is Cruze to cater to and if reliability and a peaceful ownership it has to be the Altis. The Fluence may be a good car but for their ASC, at least in Hyderabad does not have good reviews (Not sure of other cities).

My dad loved the Fluence but had to let it go because of the ASC part.

Altis is good in all angles except for the price it asks vis-a-vis the performance and features. Hope the newer model makes it a VFM.

Anurag.
Old 29th March 2014, 09:12   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Y
It is not short on power like it seems on paper. 20-80 in 3rd takes only a second more than the Jetta while 40-100 in 4th gear is done a second faster than the Jetta and over a second faster in both instances when compared to the Cruze. The Fluence makes quick and easy work of traffic.
Its not just 30 to 80 in 3rd or 40 to 60 in fourth that a buyer in this segment is looking at. Heck, in slow moving traffic even my 60 PS Santro is quicker than my 200 PS Laura due to the short gearing. When driving on the open road, cars like the Cruze and Jetta will literally fly past the Fluence. When people are looking at the D1 segment, or say looking to move up from the C2 segment, they want something extra. When the Vernas and Citys can offer more power at a lesser price and coming from a lower segment, it becomes a very very sore point.

The weak engine is the only sore point in the well rounded Fluence package, which after the facelift is one attractive looking car, I must say. But as a buyer I just cannot look beyond the 1.5L + 110 PS figure. Renault, give it the Koleos 2.0 L unit and you have a winner on your hands.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 09:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Its not just 30 to 80 in 3rd or 40 to 60 in fourth that a buyer in this segment is looking at. Heck, in slow moving traffic even my 60 PS Santro is quicker than my 200 PS Laura due to the short gearing. When driving on the open road, cars like the Cruze and Jetta will literally fly past the Fluence. When people are looking at the D1 segment, or say looking to move up from the C2 segment, they want something extra. When the Vernas and Citys can offer more power at a lesser price and coming from a lower segment, it becomes a very very sore point.

The weak engine is the only sore point in the well rounded Fluence package, which after the facelift is one attractive looking car, I must say. But as a buyer I just cannot look beyond the 1.5L + 110 PS figure. Renault, give it the Koleos 2.0 L unit and you have a winner on your hands.
Agree with you on the highway bit, and yes, we would all rejoice if they plonked the Koleos's 2.0L unit in the beauty. However, most people I see on Highways, prefer to cruise at 100-120 and this, the Fluence is pretty capable of. Admittedly, it does tend to run out of breath and the acceleration post 120 is a bit limp. Perhaps removing the DPF and remapping it ought to make a world of difference. I myself wouldn't get the car because I prefer more power and a chassis that is more capable of putting a bigger smile if not verging on a grin, on my face in the ghats, however, I have recommended the car to many out there and most love it (the rest go for the Jetta though still come back from the Renault showroom pleasantly surprised) because for most, it really does meet and even exceed certain standards especially in terms of looks, ride, space and quality of interiors while at the same time, surprising them by its capabilities of being a bit of a driver's car when needed

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th March 2014 at 09:26.
Old 29th March 2014, 11:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You really need to try out the Fluence before you post things about it mate.
Oh and it does come with discs on all four wheels as well as a multi-link suspension setup at the rear which is partly why it offers the best ride in its segment.

Just wanted to let you know this
I have test driven the earlier Fluence. And yes, I have liked it but for the power on offer for that category.

Thanks! Did not know that.

Quote:
Agree with you on the highway bit, and yes, we would all rejoice if they plonked the Koleos's 2.0L unit in the beauty. However, most people I see on Highways, prefer to cruise at 100-120 and this, the Fluence is pretty capable of. Admittedly, it does tend to run out of breath and the acceleration post 120 is a bit limp. Perhaps removing the DPF and remapping it ought to make a world of difference. I myself wouldn't get the car because I prefer more power and a chassis that is more capable of putting a bigger smile if not verging on a grin, on my face in the ghats, however, I have recommended the car to many out there and most love it (the rest go for the Jetta though still come back from the Renault showroom pleasantly surprised) because for most, it really does meet and even exceed certain standards especially in terms of looks, ride, space and quality of interiors while at the same time, surprising them by its capabilities of being a bit of a driver's car when needed
Fluence is no doubt an excellent car, a bit over done on the styling for my taste. But that is a personal opinion.

Comparing Power with Jetta Tdi is a bit too much. No offence.
Old 29th March 2014, 11:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Renault diesel engines along with Toyota diesels have legendary reliability. Wasn't the earlier Esteem or Zen diesel in Maruti one of these Renault diesel's. They clocked 1.5 lakh or 2 lakh kms easily before any mention of overhaul. There was also a post in team bhp regarding one of these specimens doing an easy 200K and still running flawlessly. I doubt the current gen VWs can come anywhere close.
Old 29th March 2014, 11:51   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the best looking cars on the road just got better. I always liked the Fluence though their dealer experience (pre-Duster) was pathetic. The E2 seems to be VFM but shelling out the extra 1.5L may be worth it for all those goodies.

Renault needs a clear strategy for its non-Duster portfolio. It isn't just the Fluence that is suffering from neglect: the Pulse and Scala are very mediocre performers as well on the sales charts. Given that the D segment is in decline some aggressive pricing and promotion is called for. Otherwise this Fluence will just go the way its predecessor did.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks