Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2014, 23:06   #46
BHPian

Re: Narain Karthikeyan to test Tata Motor's Cars for ride, handling, dynamics & more

Narain Karthikeyan testing Tata Motor's Cars for ride and handling is like Salman Khan testing Bollywood movies for story and screenplay...
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 06:44   #47
BHPian

Re: Narain Karthikeyan to test Tata Motor's Cars for ride, handling, dynamics & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Narain Karthikeyan testing Tata Motor's Cars for ride and handling is like Salman Khan testing Bollywood movies for story and screenplay...
What is your point, exactly?

Are you saying that NK lacks driving skills because he didn't make it big in F1? I hope you realize the extreme levels of skills required just to compete in F1, and also that where a driver finished also depends on how good his car, team, engine supplier and race strategies are. And guys like NK who are at the back of the grid in F1 are usually top drivers in the next lower rungs like F3, have been racing go-karts from when they were kids, and know a thing or two about handling and the basics of setting up a car for weight distribution, dynamics, etc. Even if it is simply a marketing stunt, much more appropriate than getting Shah Rukh Khan or Priyanka Chopra to endorse it.

And while I don't rate Salman Khan as an actor, his last 5-6 movies have undoubtedly been '100 crore' blockbusters. So going by your analogy, Tata should be all set to become the next Toyota/VW in terms of volumes.
chncar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

I feel this is just another eye washer. This person would be given a vehicle that's been well manufactured and meets the standards, hence would certify the vehicle. The publicly available vehicles would be more or less the same. I'm sure he wont be in a position to test 'all' the vehicles produced.

Quite similar to having celebrities as brand ambassadors!
Old 2nd April 2014, 09:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
This person would be given a vehicle that's been well manufactured and meets the standards, hence would certify the vehicle. The publicly available vehicles would be more or less the same. I'm sure he wont be in a position to test 'all' the vehicles produced.
I fully disagree.

You seem to suggest that Tata knows how to make a car that handles well but purposefully make poorly handling cars for whatever reason. I don't think that is the case. What has Tata got to gain by giving their customers worse cars than what they are capable of? Their current designs were simply not conceived with any focus on the handling department.

If they can make a car that handles well without including costly parts from the motor racing world, I don't see any reason why they can't include those changes into the assembly line.

Regarding the statement from Karthikeyan, he will say whatever he is asked to say by Tata. So there is no need for Tata to create a well handling one-off specimen so that Narain would endorse it. Tata was his main sponsor throughout his racing career and continue to be so. If Tata asks Narain to tell that Nano is the best handler available, he might be bound to say that due to his obligations to Tata. Will someone believe him is a different matter which is why Tata is not doing it already.

I don't have anything against Narain endorsing Tata, its just that the hype that Tata tried to create out of it seems a little premature and overboard at this stage when they've not achieved anything yet to show for. This hype would have worked better if done along with some serious improvements in handling to show for.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Hope you meant the Swift by this?
My garage consists of a 95 Zen and two 2008 Swifts -1 petrol and 1 diesel. My experience with the handling of all 3 cars have been highly satisfactory and me, my brother and my father were frustrated with my uncle's Indica which we used to drive occasionally if Swift D was not available. Indica always suffered from understeer and all of us ended up losing the door mirrors at some point or the other over an 8 year period.

Last edited by zenren : 2nd April 2014 at 09:59. Reason: Adding a second reply
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:08   #50
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Probably its the Coimbatore connection for Tata Motors. NK and J Anand working hand in hand to make a better handling bolt or zest?
The Coimbatore connection it is. Both J Anand (of Jayem Automotive) and Narain Karthikeyan have a long association with each other, and with Tata Motors (J Anand is the tall gentleman at the right in the first picture, and at the left in the second):

Narain Karthikeyan to test Tata Motor's Cars for ride, handling, dynamics & more-image.jpg

Narain Karthikeyan to test Tata Motor's Cars for ride, handling, dynamics & more-ratantata.jpg

Images courtesy: Respective owners

This isn't the first time Jayem Automotive is working with Tata Motors. And Tata was one of Narain's main sponsors throughout his career, and will continue to solidly support him in his racing endeavours. So it's only natural that he would do his bit in return. Getting involved in the fine-tuning of Tata cars (along with his old friend, J Anand) is probably a better role for NK, than acting as a mere brand ambassador in commercials etc.

Let's hope the duo are able to take Tata cars in the right direction as far as dynamics are concerned, beginning with the promising Zest & Bolt.

Last edited by RSR : 2nd April 2014 at 12:16.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I fully disagree.

You seem to suggest that Tata knows how to make a car that handles well but purposefully make poorly handling cars for whatever reason. I don't think that is the case. What has Tata got to gain by giving their customers worse cars than what they are capable of? Their current designs were simply not conceived with any focus on the handling department.
There are lots of customers who would simply go by the ads and endorsements!

Quote:
Regarding the statement from Karthikeyan, he will say whatever he is asked to say by Tata. So there is no need for Tata to create a well handling one-off specimen so that Narain would endorse it. Tata was his main sponsor throughout his racing career and continue to be so. If Tata asks Narain to tell that Nano is the best handler available, he might be bound to say that due to his obligations to Tata. Will someone believe him is a different matter which is why Tata is not doing it already.
This is always how most quality control works!

Quote:
I don't have anything against Narain endorsing Tata, its just that the hype that Tata tried to create out of it seems a little premature and overboard at this stage when they've not achieved anything yet to show for. This hype would have worked better if done along with some serious improvements in handling to show for.
Indeed yes, its all about hype and there are lots of people who would simply fall for the hype, especially if the product comes in some bundled fashion.
Old 4th April 2014, 08:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The Coimbatore connection it is. Both J Anand (of Jayem Automotive) and Narain Karthikeyan have a long association with each other, and with Tata Motors (J Anand is the tall gentleman at the right in the first picture, and at the left in the second):

This isn't the first time Jayem Automotive is working with Tata Motors. And Tata was one of Narain's main sponsors throughout his career, and will continue to solidly support him in his racing endeavours. So it's only natural that he would do his bit in return. Getting involved in the fine-tuning of Tata cars (along with his old friend, J Anand) is probably a better role for NK, than acting as a mere brand ambassador in commercials etc.

Let's hope the duo are able to take Tata cars in the right direction as far as dynamics are concerned, beginning with the promising Zest & Bolt.
What you have quoted is absolutely true, RSR. Jayem Auto works on a lot of prototypes for Tata and as well as for Mahindra. The Aria was extensively tested here in Coimbatore, also Super Ace, and Storme. Of late, I have been seeing a Tata Magic being extensively tested with a lot of weight on the back seat. Not sure, if they are testing a new engine or something for the Nano under the Magic guise. The civilian Sumo 4x4 which was displayed at the AutoExpo was also done here at Jayem Auto by Rohan George, if I am not mistaken.

BTW, J Anand and Narain Karthikeyan are cousins and have racing and engineering in their blood
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks