Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2014, 19:49   #1
M35
BHPian

Snapdeal.com to sell Bullet-proof Kits for the Scorpio

Snapdeal.com to sell Mahindra Defense Bullet-proof kits for Scorpio !

Snapdeal.com to sell Bullet-proof Kits for the Scorpio-kit-3.jpg

Quote:
Tony Navin, Vice President, Business Development at Snapdeal, commented on the alliance, “Defence Land Systems India has been proving their expertise in the line of defence armoury for a significant time now. This is the first time Indian customers will be able to access such a product in the online space. While the brand itself is a guarantee of product quality and cost effectiveness, we are pleased to be able to offer their range of bullet proof kits to buyers online who are looking at a credible source for such requirements and are often in doubt about the right buying platform for the same.”
Link

Snapdeal.com to sell Bullet-proof Kits for the Scorpio-kit-2.jpg
  • Total Price of Product : Rs 12.67 lacs
  • Warranty : 2 years
  • Sold by : Defense Land Systems( a Mahindra Company)

For more info and booking, visit here: snapdeal

For more info about defense Land Systems India: visit here
M35 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 20:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Snapdeal.com to sell Bullet-proof Kits for the Scorpio

is the 12.67 lacs just for the standalone kit or is the price inclusive of the Scorpio?

I guess it is 12.67 lacs for an bolt-on kit + another 12 lacs for a scorpio. So we are looking at close to 30 lacs OTR.

Please dont hit me for this question - Would a person requiring that kind of security levels (needing bullet-proof vehicle) travel in a Scorpio? Would not he use more upmarket brands? A person who is assasination-worthy would be a real real big shot. His bank balance would be in zillions, where he could afford the ML370 Bulletproof edition if he an SUV fan or the A8L Armoured edition if he likes Sedans.

The only real world use that i can see is to offer some protection from extortion money gangs, who threaten/kill using a knife/gun to most builders / businessmen. Again - would those builders step down from a premium segment to Mahindra Scorpio segment just for the bulletproof factor?

apologies if the question is silly. I unfortunately cannot think as far marketting folks / CEOs.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 31st March 2014 at 20:42.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 21:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Would a person requiring that kind of security levels (needing bullet-proof vehicle) travel in a Scorpio?
One person who comes to my mind is Mr. Modi. Don't know whether he actually uses a Scorpio as his everyday car, this is just from what I've read in another thread.

Many politicians travel in Scorpios if not Fortuners.

EDIT:
Found this article, but no mentions of which car.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/20500056.cms

Last edited by amolbh : 31st March 2014 at 21:06.
amolbh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 21:09   #4
BHPian

Wouldn't it require any kind of approval from the Authorities ? If not, then I can think of all unwanted people which are already a threat to society getting it.

nIk

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2014 at 13:54. Reason: Typos
nik0502 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 21:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would a person requiring that kind of security levels (needing bullet-proof vehicle) travel in a Scorpio?
More important question is, whether one would order it online with his credit card details and wait for the customization to take place?
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 21:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

I can totally see the return mails by customer:

FAIL PRODUCT!!! I ordered this product for saving me from bullets, but what do you know?! It's not! My driver is injured and I ran away, vehicle still in possession of the terrorist. I DEMAND MY MONEY BACK!
-An injured customer

Disregard other review, we fully recommend the product to all our friends and enemies.
-Terrorist

ani_meher is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 21:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
One person who comes to my mind is Mr. Modi. Don't know whether he actually uses a Scorpio as his everyday car, this is just from what I've read in another thread.

Many politicians travel in Scorpios if not Fortuners.

EDIT:
Found this article, but no mentions of which car.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/20500056.cms
Agreed - assuming Modi uses scorpio as his daily commuter, how many modis does Mahindra need just to break even , even in say 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
wouldn't it require any kind of approval from Authorities ? If not than i can think of all unwanted people which are already a threat to society getting it.
Yes - they would need that approval. Considering the power the person would have, he can demand/command the approval. He need not "request" approval. Request process is only for the common taxpayer man, who will not fall into bullteproof category by the wildest imagination.
The politicians in Scorpios and Fortuners would not really need Bullet-proof vehicles. However, that could be a good excuse to burn 12 lacs of our tax money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
More important question is, whether one would order it online with his credit card details and wait for the customization to take place?
The person would directly order from Mahindra. I dont think the person requesting bulletproofing would require EMI Schemes et all. He will be in a position to pay full amount upfront and the job done will be better than ever (Probably Mr. Anand doing a final check himself). Also he can command Mahindra to make a kit, bolt it on and then pay after using it. .
EDIT: I feel that snapdeal advertisement is purely a PR activity. It is just to promote a word among masses that Mahindra offers bullet proof kits too. This is a deviation from their experience centres. Snapdeal / Ebays are visited by the common man, who would never fit into bulletproof segment.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ce-center.html

Last edited by scopriobharath : 31st March 2014 at 21:39.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 22:05   #8
BHPian

But this thing must weigh a ton. Bolt it on to an already lumbering beast and you get to that proverbial "straw that broke the the camel's back"point IMO. And forget about the driving dynamics- you'll probably need an upgraded engine and brakes too!
Old 31st March 2014, 22:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

This must be an April Fool joke.

What a nonsensical decision! If true, then it speaks about the kind of people they employ with the money you and I spend buying their cars. C'mon Mahindra, get real.

Imagine the amount of (time= )money they would've spent on planning, documenting legalities and execution of this!

IMO also shows how the Indian Auto industry has money to waste even post a so-called 'Slow-down'. No wonder all kinds of new companies too want a slice of the pie!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 31st March 2014 at 22:15.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 07:29   #10
BHPian

Sorry for this one liner but, Cash on delivery available hai kya? Lol
desiaztec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 09:19   #11
BHPian

I was hoping this was an April Fool's day prank, but looks like this is legit.

Now, I can sleep peacefully knowing that every hardworking local thug/rowdy/gunda/dadha/wannabe politician can commute safely. Long live capitalism!
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 11:27   #12
MHG
BHPian

I'm paranoid enough to actually consider buying one of these - IF I could afford it (until then I can dream on about having a Marauder as my daily drive). But I suppose on a car like this, even though small bullets wouldn't harm you, a rollover or a head-on collision will still kill. If only these kind of cars came with structural stability to match their bullet-proof nature.
Old 1st April 2014, 11:38   #13
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
Now, I can sleep peacefully knowing that every hardworking local thug/rowdy/gunda/dadha/wannabe politician can commute safely.
But there are just about less than 10 available as of now.

Name:  bullet.png
Views: 2300
Size:  16.4 KB
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 13:51   #14
M35
BHPian

Re: Snapdeal.com to sell Mahindra Defense Bullet-proof kits for Scorpio

Is there any car 100% bullet proof ? I don’t think, bet a Scorpio or LR Discovery or a Rangie or a ML370.If you have the disposal income, why not go for a bulletproof car for the extra peace of mind, for the increased Safety?

I don’t get in to the Gunda/politician argument here, but the question is, does this Scorpio make any sense as an “affordable” bullet proof SUV in India? We do have a similar thread for a Bullet proof Tata safari which was launched at Rs 60 Lakhs in 2011.If I am not wrong, earlier In 2010, Tata Motors had launched the armoured versions of the Discovery and Range Rover at Rs 3.75 and 4 crore, which in fact deliver the same B6 level ballistic and blast protection like the Safari, which is sold for less than one-sixth the price.

Related thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...lletproof.html

Last edited by M35 : 1st April 2014 at 13:53.
Old 1st April 2014, 14:02   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Snapdeal.com to sell Bullet-proof Kits for the Scorpio

Quote:
I guess it is 12.67 lacs for an bolt-on kit + another 12 lacs for a scorpio. So we are looking at close to 30 lacs OTR.

Please dont hit me for this question - Would a person requiring that kind of security levels (needing bullet-proof vehicle) travel in a Scorpio? Would not he use more upmarket brands? A person who is assasination-worthy would be a real real big shot. His bank balance would be in zillions, where he could afford the ML370 Bulletproof edition if he an SUV fan or the A8L Armoured edition if he likes Sedans.
You are comparing a 30 lakh product with one costing well over a crore. There are always lower-middle level builders, politicians and businessmen who need the protection, but don't have the budget. Not every construction dude is a DLF or Lodha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonarr View Post
But this thing must weigh a ton. Bolt it on to an already lumbering beast and you get to that proverbial "straw that broke the the camel's back"point IMO
That's the case with any bullet-proof vehicle, not just the Scorpio. They handle like a first-timer on a skating rink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Imagine the amount of (time= )money they would've spent on planning, documenting legalities and execution of this!
Actually, this is Mahindra using existing expertise for newer market segments. Remember, they already supply bullet proof vehicles to the Defence & Police.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks