Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2014, 14:23   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: PY registered cars in TN booked for road tax evasion

Frankly, I don't understand these misers who spend 1 crore on an S-Class but try to save 10 Lakhs in road tax and have to hide from authorities. Being a Tamil Nadu state resident, I am happy with this crack down.

When you get a quote for any luxury vehicle, they give you two quotes, one with TN registration and one with Pondicherry registration. You don't have to have ever stepped into to Pondi or even know how to spell Pondicherry to get a PY plate.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 22:50   #17

I would think that being brought up in India it is usual for all us to have a conservative approach towards money. And for all those who have this opportunity, I don't think would hesitate to avoid paying additionally, though there might be tall claims otherwise. There would be very few who wouldn't lick their fingers, if dipped in a honey pot. Even those in Karnataka who seem to preach given an opportunity and the lifestyle of an average Indian wouldn't behave any different.
Having said this I would think it is up to the Govt to bring about an even tax code across all states to avoid looking into silly matters as such and focus on much more important issues in terms of revenue.
I hope Govt is able to take the right steps to avoid inconvenience to Indian citizens and provide for easy measures to lighten the tax burden on the average tax payer.
Shinjith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 08:44   #18
BHPian

^^ Yes You can. But keep in mind RTO can stop you any time by seeing your number plate. You have to show the Tax paid receipt to prove that you paid the tax and running in TN.
Old 27th September 2014, 14:51   #19
BHPian

Is it mandatory to register a car, only on your permanent address? What exactly is a permanent address? I own 4 houses of which, one in Mumbai and 1 in Daman and spend equal time in both house, which is my permanent address? My drivers license shows my Gujarat house address. And my car is registered in my Chandigarh house address to save on taxes.
Above is a fictitious scenario, but what happens to such people when Revenue desperate departments stop them?

Last edited by riteshritesh : 27th September 2014 at 14:54.
Old 27th September 2014, 15:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Is it mandatory to register a car, only on your permanent address? What exactly is a permanent address? I own 4 houses of which, one in Mumbai and 1 in Daman and spend equal time in both house, which is my permanent address? My drivers license shows my Gujarat house address. And my car is registered in my Chandigarh house address to save on taxes.
Above is a fictitious scenario, but what happens to such people when Revenue desperate departments stop them?
The idea of a permanent address is to make sure govt knows where to catch you! Jokes aside, the idea behind it is to ensure a consistent address that sync up when multiple documents need to be submitted, typically when availing govt services. I can't seem to remember right away which exact services, perhaps some BHPian can help me, but I do remember submitting multiple documents for each proof of ID, address, birth, domicile, etc.

I think and I am not sure of this, is that each person is supposed to provide only 1 address as permanent address, and change it in all documents in case of moving permanently. This way, a consistency is maintained in all the documents. But most people don't bother about it. Tedious govt procedures for changing addresses is hardly encouraging too.

P

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 27th September 2014 at 15:38.
Old 26th December 2016, 22:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

If I register a business in Pondicherry is it legal for me to use a Pondicherry registered car? Of late I have been seeing a lot of PY (and few JH) registered cars. The reason for this is obvious with Goa now having 18% Road Tax.
Old 27th December 2016, 00:24   #22
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a forward message that a lot of PY and JH registered imports / supercars were seized by the Mumbai / Navi Mumbai RTO for tax evasion. Cars included a Mercedes's SL500, a 2016 911 and a Lamborghini Gallardo Performante edition.
Old 27th December 2016, 04:35   #23
BHPian

As a TN resident, I must admit to feeling a lot of schadenfreude at the tax evaders getting their just deserts.

However, it would be much better if it is handled in a more consistent way overall. It would be good if there is a consistent tax level fixed for the entire country, number plates etc come from a national-level database, and you are free to drive any where in the country for as long as you like without people hassling you.

There is no excuse for corruption, but probably 9 times out of 10, if stupid regulations didn't exist, that specific type of corruption wouldn't either.
Old 27th December 2016, 05:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

You're generally made to pay the full lifetime tax again. And you can't even get it refunded once you leave AP unless you get an AP number first.

If they ask you to pay for say 3 years which is your estimated duration of stay in AP that'd have worked. But paying lifetime tax is highway robbery and refunding them is an extremely cumbersome process

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosathyas View Post
In AP we can run the other state registered vehicles by just paying the road tax (without registering in AP RTO or change number). Is this possible in Chennai? I have a MH registered car and wondered if I can make a payment of roadtax alone and continue with the number. Also is this less expensive than re-registering, coz mine is not a fancy number to retain.
Old 27th December 2016, 09:43   #25
BANNED

I feel that this totally random approach to road taxation is silly. It is high time that under GST the same rates are implemented across the land. Imagine the fate of those moving across states, either they are breaking to law, or shelling out oodles of money for registration in different states. Of course refunds are a myth, like the unicorn.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 09:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I feel that this totally random approach to road taxation is silly. It is high time that under GST the same rates are implemented across the land. Imagine the fate of those moving across states, either they are breaking to law, or shelling out oodles of money for registration in different states. Of course refunds are a myth, like the unicorn.
I wouldn't say that - I just completed the process and my refund is sanctioned

It will still take a couple of weeks to process so let's see what new eventuality crops up till then. For now .. it's been a long hard haul.

I'll post after I get the refund neft in my account.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 09:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

PY registered cars in TN booked for road tax evasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
If I register a business in Pondicherry is it legal for me to use a Pondicherry registered car? Of late I have been seeing a lot of PY (and few JH) registered cars. The reason for this is obvious with Goa now having 18% Road Tax.

Your business should have an an office there, with water and electricity connection on the company's name. Also you must have a letter on letter head stating that the car is given to to used by employee (you) for company work.

Usually company registered cars are not harassed much as long as proper docs are there. Preferably, get a PY driving license as well if possible.

One of my customers bought a Ciaz from me and registered it in Daman on his company's name. That car frequently travels in Mumbai.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 23:32   #28
BHPian

Southern Actress Amala Paul evaded tax by registering car in Pondy?

Souther actress Amala Paul's new Merc S-Class lands her in trouble!

Media reports from Kerala state that the actress recently purchased a Mercedes S Class, which is worth more than Rs 1.20 cr. To pay a lesser tax, the actress under the advice of people close to her, registered it in the name of an engineering student from Pondicherry (the poor guy has no clue about it).

Sources say that after registering the car in Pondicherry, Amala evaded nearly 20 lakhs tax drove down to Kochi and started flaunting it. If someone has a car registered in another state but plying in Kerala for more than one year, they have to change the registration and pay 20 percent of the total value of the car as the tax to the local Government.
Attached Thumbnails
PY registered cars in TN booked for road tax evasion-am.jpg  

rubicon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 07:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
[b]To pay a lesser tax, the actress under the advice of people close to her, registered it in the name of an engineering student from Pondicherry (the poor guy has no clue about it).

Correction. The car is registered in Amala Paul's name. The address is of the engineering student in Pondi.
Old 31st October 2017, 08:16   #30

Apparently Kerala is getting more strict with PY registered cars running in the state. From this news article, it seems they are targeting all cars with PY number, and asking to prove the registration address. Curious to see how long this lasts -
http://english.manoramaonline.com/ne...in-kerala.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks