Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2014, 22:14   #1
BHPian

Is Maruti silently discontinuing the Ritz & Dzire AT?

According to this report from Autocar India website, it seems like Maruti has silently withdrawn Ritz and Dzire automatics.Though this news has not been officially confirmed, the site points out that dealers are telling "no stock" for these models in most places.The move is said to be part of Maruti's plan to replace conventional torque convertors with AMT in all models.

Since AMT is much cheaper than conventional ATs and given that the first AMT equipped product itself is a runaway success, this move was to be naturally expected from a company like Maruti.

So if this news turns out to be true, won't there be anymore real ATs from Maruti? So Ritz, Dzire and all future models will have to do with the jerky AMTs?

Unless they refine the AMT to give the smoothness of a conventional AT, I feel it would be like going back in time.

Can someone from the forum who has contacts with MSIL officials, please confirm this news?

P.S -Mods please merge this thread, if already a thread exists on this topic.Could'nt find one when I searched.

AutocarIndia news link

Another link quoting autocar's news
VinodDevil81 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 03:42   #2
BHPian

re: Is Maruti silently discontinuing the Ritz & Dzire AT?

AMT is not a long term answer to Automatic needs. Maruti would be making a terrible mistake if it goes no replace all its conventional Automatics with AMT. AMT is fine for lower segment hatchbacks but for me it is too unrefined/jerky to be acceptable in the sedan market.
needforspeed88 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 04:52   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
AMT is not a long term answer to Automatic needs. Maruti would be making a terrible mistake if it goes no replace all its conventional Automatics with AMT. AMT is fine for lower segment hatchbacks but for me it is too unrefined/jerky to be acceptable in the sedan market.
True. Cars like the upcoming Ciaz definitely needs a proper automatic gearbox rather than an AMT.

However - I think it will do fine till the DZire segment just because the fuel efficiency on offer is much higher than conventional automatics. After all, a person willing to compromise on the looks when buying DZire, to get an overall good package won't mind compromising smoothness for higher efficiency. 'Kitna Deti hai?' was the most important reason why automatics didn't work in India (till now), and with the AMT- Maruti has answered that question.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 10:20   #4
BHPian

I think by launching AMT, Maruti is first tying to popularize the culture of owning Automatics in India. AMT offers the convenience of an Automatic gearbox with decent fuel efficiency. Once the attitude of people towards Automatics change, Maruti might bring better cars with better Automatic technology.

This is just my opinion and I may be completely wrong
Saanil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 10:51   #5
BANNED

Jerk or no jerk, i'd buy the cheapest automatic with highest FE for my daily office commute and city runabout. AMT fits the bill perfectly.
chaudh2s is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 11:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

It's a good and bad news. Maruti was not very well known for automatics, so if they discontinue it, it's not a big surprise. I am doubtful whether they were selling enough automatics of both Ritz & Dzire, to sustain the auto models. If they were not able to do business by selling lot of numbers, then rightly they will discontinue it.

I guess they can try for AMT now. Its already a success in Celerio. Hope they will bring it in other cars as well. Ertiga with AMT can be a good option as well. Also others like Wagon R, Ritz will make strong case to sell in better numbers. It will be more useful for Ritz, which is already struggling. I guess MUL will surely try Ritz with AMT. It will surely increase the numbers of it.

Last edited by GTO : 7th April 2014 at 16:01. Reason: Typos
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 12:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its actually a good move, especially seen from the perspective of being able to offer Dzire/Ritz diesel AMT's, at a price, thats still in the zone. Besides, AMT does not carry with it the losses and the non-responsive nature of a conventional torque converter automatic.

In most cases the days of the conventional automatics are numbered now. The Europeans have shifted to Dual Clutch DSG's. So I must say, Good riddance.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 12:41   #8
BHPian

Should I daresay this is progress from MS? Those AT models were duds in the first place: lower FE and much higher prices compared to the manuals. The AMT option will be a welcome move, hopefully they will have the supply chain streamlined and we won't have horrendous wait times after booking.
Old 4th April 2014, 14:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the Dzire or Ritz AT were selling significant numbers (unlike say the Hyundai i10). I therefore think it makes sense to capitalise on the buzz around AMT - the higher FE etc. It would be most interesting to read how AMT fares in real life conditions & mass numbers. I guess we will know in the forthcoming months.
Old 4th April 2014, 15:27   #10
BHPian

But isnt Maruti already struggling with shortage of AMTs with some models of Celerios commanding around 18 months(this info is derived from one of the Celerio test drive threads). I think first they need to address the production constraint (someone mentioned that AMTs are going to be locally manufactured). If that is the case, then they should first concentrate on building up capacity rather than just launching models and creating artificial waiting periods

As per me, no car in India (except may be the hight end bimmers and the audis, really dont know if they have so much waiting) is worth waiting for more than 2 months. If some cars have waiting more than this, its the manufacturers fault for not predicting demand. It also creates a false impression of 'Oh, its got 10 months of waiting, so it must be a really succesful car and I can even wait another year to get lay my hands on it'.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 16:09   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
But isnt Maruti already struggling with shortage of AMTs with some models of Celerios commanding around 18 months(this info is derived from one of the Celerio test drive threads). I think first they need to address the production constraint (someone mentioned that AMTs are going to be locally manufactured). If that is the case, then they should first concentrate on building up capacity rather than just launching models and creating artificial waiting periods As per me, no car in India (except may be the hight end bimmers and the audis, really dont know if they have so much waiting) is worth waiting for more than 2 months. If some cars have waiting more than this, its the manufacturers fault for not predicting demand. It also creates a false impression of 'Oh, its got 10 months of waiting, so it must be a really succesful car and I can even wait another year to get lay my hands on it'.
Box is produced by Magneti Mareli. There is little Maruti can do towards increasing production. That said, localisation should be completed within a year, as mentioned by MS.

Yes, it is a case where Maruti under-estimated the demand. But can't really blame them. Who would have estimated a 50% demand when none of their AT cars ever had even 1% demand ever! AMT or whatever, a 20% demand is the maximum anyone would have ever estimated!

Yes, none of the new cars are worth waiting for more than 2 months, as we have competent products available from other manufacturers as well. But still, if people wait, it's all credit to the company credentials and the brilliant marketing they have done around the product. I don't think any company would like to have an 18 month waiting period and face an uncertain future while they could as well make hay while the sun is shining, so to speak.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 16:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is Maruti silently discontinuing the Ritz & Dzire AT?

To my limited intellect, Maruti moving entirely to AMT, instead of AT, makes perfect sense.
Maruti has probably realized that it isn't really an aspirational brand, and hence there is no point in making their offerings any more expensive than they need to be.
At the same time they are also observing a growing consumer acceptance and preference towards Clutch-less cars and hence they need to provide the same.
AMT fits this slot perfectly. It allows Maruti to offer Clutch-less automobiles to the masses, which still return better Fuel Economy at a Lower Price upfront. These masses hardly bother about the nuances of a Torque Converter, CVT or Dual Clutch Gear Box.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 17:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I don't think any company would like to have an 18 month waiting period and face an uncertain future while they could as well make hay while the sun is shining, so to speak.
Sorry for going off-topic. My only point is that why take bookings in the first place if the waiting period crosses a certain period, say 2 months. In such cases, the consumer will can have a rethink on the brand that he is going for and maybe after some amount of research can zero in on a competent model from another manufacturer. Providing a waiting period means he is many a time stuck to his decision. Also Maruti is assured of business even 18 months down the line, the time by which the next year version would have completed half its life. What about the interest amount on the booking? However small that may be.

When we bought the swift in 2008, there was a 3 week waiting period on it. But the good part is that it was delivered in 10 days flat and according to me, the wait was worth it. Later, waiting on swifts went up to 8 months in some cases. Was the wait worth? As per me, no.

It is in the same aspect that I respect Mahindra on what they did for the XUV. If the demand surpassed a particular number, they simply did not take bookings. Customers who chose to wait, waited. Others simply walked to other showrooms.
Old 4th April 2014, 17:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, But I don't buy the AMT is 'Jerky' theory at all. I have driven a Celerio thrice, City, Highway and a Missile launch type test drive on the highway the third time. It was not jerky at all. The mistake we make in the AMT's is by keeping the throttle rammed the floor, we make the ECU cut off the acceleration first and then shift the gear which makes it jerky.

During the 2nd and 3rd time, I deliberately let off the throttle whenever I wanted to shift in D and in Manual mode too, just before the tapping the gear lever, I used to let the throttle go, the shifts were nice and not jerky at all.

An AMT Swift Diesel/Dzire will not only set the sales charts on fire, I ll annihilate every other competition in this segment and a little bit above it to kingdom come.
humyum is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 17:48   #15
BHPian

Frankly at those astronomical prices, the two cars were not really setting the sales charts on fire. I know not of a single person who got either! I do not expect any wonders with AMT version either if they do not bring down the prices or sell diesel cars with AMT @ those prices. Diesel Ritz with AMT at 6 or even 6.5 lakhs will make short work of Grand i10 AT!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks