Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2014, 22:38   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio: Segment leader in FY 2013-14

A news item in the Economic Times quoted by IAB mentions that Mahindra Scorpio has sold the maximum number of units in the last financial year and have overtaken both its rivals the Renault Duster and Ford Ecosport.

Mahindra managed to sell 50900 units of Scorpio while Renault Duster sold 46700 units and Ford Ecosport sold 45000 units.

All in all Mahindra managed a good lead. One reason that is being attributed for its success is the fact that it is also considered a favourite political class vehicle and has managed to sell in good numbers because of the upcoming polls.

Here is a complete link to the article:

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/04/m...-fy2014-126800

Mods: I could not find any thread with this news item. If such a thread exists please merge this with the existing thread.

Last edited by mints21 : 5th April 2014 at 22:39. Reason: Note for mods
mints21 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 23:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio: Segment leader in FY 2013-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Mahindra Scorpio has sold the maximum number of units in the last financial year and have overtaken both its rivals the Renault Duster and Ford Ecosport.

Mahindra managed to sell 50900 units of Scorpio while Renault Duster sold 46700 units and Ford Ecosport sold 45000 units.

One reason that is being attributed for its success is the fact that it is also considered a favourite political class vehicle
Sir, Mahindra Scorpio is a vehicle which has now settled in the minds of the customers as one of the most reliable and sturdy brand. Whereas, Duster and Ecosport are the models which have been launched in the past couple of years and they are somewhat slow on getting the desired sales figures. A major reason could be the waiting period in the case of Ecosport.

This is also mentioned in the February 2014 sales analysis done by GTO sir. Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html

As for the Duster, it is a good family car but if you compare it to Scorpio then the Scorpio wins the war hands-down. Reason being the existence of Scorpio as the No. 1 choice not only with political parties but also with the families. Secondly, As a personal opinion, Scorpio maintains it's looks as a proper off roading SUV but Duster seems a bit delicate on this criteria as well.

In my opinion, Scorpio is better built as compared to the Duster. And as Mahindra is a indian brand so people rather feel more secure in terms of after-sales service by associating with it. Therefore, this also has played a major role in customer's decision making and rise in sales of Scorpio.

Thanks

AD

Last edited by ad3952n : 5th April 2014 at 23:36. Reason: Info and Link added
ad3952n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 23:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The Xylo came with a bang and had 2-3 month-long waiting lists in early 2009.
The XUV came with a bang and had waiting lists of six or more months in 2011.
The Scorpio had already come with a BIG BANG in 2003.
The two newbies sold well only in their initial year, but their charisma soon faded. The Xylo was meant to take on the Innova. What the hell ?
The XUV 500 was meant to cannibalize the Scorpio, which it did in its initial months.
But all said and done and still with its March 2009 Refreshed looks, the Scorpio reigns supreme.
Five years of ownership and I am a very satisfied user. Looking back, I have no regrets, but only smiles.

Mahindra Scorpio: Segment leader in FY 2013-14-dsc07165.jpg

Last edited by theMAG : 6th April 2014 at 11:26. Reason: 2 smilies correction.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 00:54   #4
BHPian

Comparison with Duster and Ecosport is completely unjustified IMO. What next, compare it with C segment sedans just because they fall within same price bracket?

In the sub 12L segment, the only worthy contenders are Safari and to an extent Bolero. These two options become even more apparent if you think from the POV of majority of the Scorpio buying folks as to which options they might have considered. And no doubt the Scorpio is leagues ahead in numbers when it comes to Safari.

As for the Bolero, well as long as customers stay in the same shop who's complaining
avisidhu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 08:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Come to think of it Scorpios success is not very hard to decipher. Firstly it is a strong, reliable, efficient and tried and tested vehicle with a unfailing powertrain and have been around for a long time now and this is exactly what our consumers look for a trusted brand read Santro in the same lines.

Also the success of Scorpio is a result of the competitions failures. Duster twins have overpriced themselves and no VFM for the package it offers and less said about the EcoSport, a vehicle which has the potential to easily sell in five digits sold by a company who does not want to do more business! Yes unbelievable but true.

With all this the Scorpio does seem to remain the top of the pack atleast for some time now.
girishglg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 09:50   #6
BHPian

Its wrong to attribute Scorpio's success to the failure of its competitors. The Scorp over the years has assiduously built and lived up to a reputation of being rugged, powerful and frugal. Pretty much a perfect incarnation of what a customer expects out of M&M. Not to forget its doing quite well in overseas markets where customers value the same attributes over the rest.
chandras1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 09:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its Ford's loss more than M&Ms gain here. If Ford could ship the Esosports booked, it would have been 2:1. Having said that, Scorpio is such a darling! I rented one from Zoom for my Pune drive late last year and it was such a thril - power on tap!
Scorpio higher variants enter W4 territory and yet folks buy Scorpio - that says a thing or two!
Equus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 09:59   #8
M35
BHPian

There is a reason for the consistent show of this brute powerhouse !
It has almost all the variants catering to the needs of almost every type buyers in the segment at affordable price.

"Value for the price" is the key.
  • EX
  • LX 4x2
  • LX 4x4
  • SLE
  • VLX 4x2
  • VLX 4x4
  • VLX AT 4x2
  • VLX AT 4x4

It’s more of an evolved product and thus reliable. A big thumbs up to Mahindra Customer care department, who have been very prompt in addressing customer concerns, at least for me.

A picture of my Scorpio at 4 years ! This July, will be celebrating it's 5th anniversary.

Mahindra Scorpio: Segment leader in FY 2013-14-sc.jpg.jpg
M35 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 10:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
  • SLE
SLE doesn't have the option of a 4X4? All this while, I thought, it had.

Quote:
A picture of my Scorpio at 4 years ! This July, will be celebrating it's 5th anniversary.
As they say, a picture speaks a thousand words. Your Scorpio is looking awesome Reaffirms my faith in a Scorpio as well as in the color black and that, it can be maintained well.
Where did you get the bonnet mirror from?

Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 10:32   #10
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
[/list]Where did you get the bonnet mirror from?
No. There is no 4x4 SLE, as of now.

OT
Thanks. It’s a genuine Toyota Fortuner fender mirror.
M35 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 11:33   #11
BHPian

Have finished 5 years and 92000km in my Scorpio and loved every moment of it. It is heartening to see that brand Scorpio is still going strong and will continue to do so for quite some time.

5 years back, There was simply no option at 10-12L bracket for SUV other than Scorpio and Safari and sadly even today it remains true not withstanding pseudo urban SUVs.

Mahindra Scorpio: Segment leader in FY 2013-14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1396764154.012388.jpg
Ross is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 14:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

I knew it. I associate word Mahindra only with Scorpio. Ten years on, it is still the best looking SUV this side of 30 lakhs. Yes, I would say it even looks better than Fortuner. Forget Xylo and XUV. Mahindra wanted XUV to take flagship model mantle but I personally never liked it from day one. I mean it looked more van like from behind than SUV. And as the novelty of XUV wore, it is apparent who the king is.

As for Duster and Ecosport, their prices are within breathing distance of Scorpio. So many choose to pay a little extra and go for full-size SUV than these two baby SUVs. I don't think we will see anything in next 5 years which can unseat Scorpio ( given the present scenario of there being no talk of a new SUV from any manufacturer in 10-15 L bracket).
pgsagar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 14:59   #13
BHPian

Its a pity Ford is utilizing India as a manufacturing hub for Ecosoport exports as it tends to make more money by shipping it out abroad. Scorpio will always be remembered as a game-changer in the Auto industry. Mahindra has strived to constantly up grade it right since its leaf spring days. The absurd Wheelbase to track ratio is a challenge for anybody to make it handle like it is on rails although it has significantly improved with the application of Coil Springs at the rear. The ride though is still no where near flat as Mahindra cannot soften it without compromising stability. The newer iteration of the Scorpio which is undergoing testing sadly does not have any changes to the wheelbase and without increasing it, it is impossible to improve its road manners. Scorpio has a butch road presence, good reliability and a torqey engine but Mahindra need to do some serious surgery if they want to retain the lead come next year.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 6th April 2014 at 15:01.
needforspeed88 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 17:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

They were also segment leaders in introducing a 4X4 automatic SUV. I dont think there are any oyher 4X4 auto options within 16 lacs ?

With Innova price rising 10 fold, I think I will buy a 4X4 Auto version.

I am eagerly awaiting with new Scorpio. If the new version has a less bouncy ride and features 3 row AC with Captain seats, I will not look beyond the Scorpio.
scopriobharath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 23:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
They were also segment leaders in introducing a 4X4 automatic SUV. I dont think there are any oyher 4X4 auto options within 16 lacs ?

With Innova price rising 10 fold, I think I will buy a 4X4 Auto version.

I am eagerly awaiting with new Scorpio. If the new version has a less bouncy ride and features 3 row AC with Captain seats, I will not look beyond the Scorpio.
Yes, indeed the only diesel automatic SUV under 20 lakh. How can I forget that? Innova? Personally, I wouldn't buy an Innova at even half the price of a Scorpio. A car must look like a car. Not like a van. And yes, Scorpio in its new avatar should arrest any falling interest in the car and take the game forward. Unless Duster and Ecosport launch automatics ( in diesel ) and price them more realistically, Scorpio would continue to rule.
pgsagar is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks