Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 16:38   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Eon to get 1.0 liter Kappa Engine EDIT: Now launched (Page 3)

A recent report that had appeared in "The Hindustan Times" has hinted that Hyundai is planning to launch Eon with 1.0-litre Kappa engine.

Quote:
The engine is a 1.0-litre, three cylinder motor likely the same one that is being used in the Hyundai-i10. It makes 65bhp and 9.7kgm of torque in that car, but Hyundai is expected to make it more efficient.
The current Hyundai Eon is a 814cc, three cylinder engine hatchback which makes 55bhp and 7.6kgm of torque.

As per the report, It is believed that it will get a subtle facelift but no major or drastic changes are expected.

Hyundai's Eon is the most stylish entry level hatchback and will compete with Alto K-10 and the Datsun GO.

My sources in Hyundai have confirmed that this car is currently being tested and we may see a launch near the festive season in Oct or Nov.

One of the source has also hinted that Hyundai is also planning to plant their new diesel engine in Eon, and the feasibility testing is in progress.

Link to the news item:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/autos/...1-1207848.aspx
mints21 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 17:06   #2
BHPian

re: Hyundai Eon to get 1.0 liter Kappa Engine EDIT: Now launched (Page 3)

The information seems to be true
I was taking TD of my now booked Hyundai Verna and SA told me about new EON coming with 1 litre engine which will be pitted against Alto K10.
Following features have been added as per his claims
a) 4 cylinder 1Litre engine which increases the overall power to 68 BHP
b) Fuse in cabin - similar to Sonata and bigger cars which saves your battery when the car is not used for longer duration. Never heard about this, pardon my ignorance.
c) Gear vibration is absent as there is some change in the gear rod mechanism

I checked with him about the price but that has not been revealed and neither the technical or sales staff knows about it.
I think Hyundai might be finally calling it a day for its old horse Santro and have Eon as the car in 800 CC and 1L engine. Awaiting more news on this
Cooltronics is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 17:35   #3
BHPian

That is a very good move from Hyundai. They seem to saturate the market with new and updated launches of late. A diesel Eon is a very good move IMO.

Would be interesting to see if Hyundai sells the 0.8 litre and 1.0 litre Eons together like how Maruti did with the Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
The information seems to be true
a) 4 cylinder 1Litre engine which increases the overall power to 68 BHP
b) Fuse in cabin - similar to Sonata and bigger cars which saves your battery when the car is not used for longer duration. Never heard about this, pardon my ignorance.
Lets see who is correct w.r.t the number of cylinders, your SA or the HT news report.

The fuse in cabin is even present in the Grand i10 and the Xcent. It is a circuit breaker similar to our household MCBs which can be switched off when the car will not be used for long duration. As the official review of both these cars mention, they can also be used as a safety feature to prevent our cars from being stolen by thieves who are not aware of such a switch.
racer_ash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 20:34   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

All other players need to learn from Hyundai! They keep going on and on and on. Their hunger for more is really nice. They just do NOT give up!! No wonder they keep climbing up.

And a 4 cylinder version of the Eon - that would address the bad bits I believe! Great show. Bring it with a diesel too and things can only get better.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 20:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

The same news was confirmed by Hormazd Sorabjee in one of the weekend telecasts of the Autocar show.

Hyundai wants to launch a more efficient engine on the Eon to compete with the Alto.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 20:42   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
All other players need to learn from Hyundai! They keep going on and on and on. Their hunger for more is really nice. They just do NOT give up!! No wonder they keep climbing up.

And a 4 cylinder version of the Eon - that would address the bad bits I believe! Great show. Bring it with a diesel too and things can only get better.
And an auto version, maybe the one from the old i10!
carZest is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 21:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
On a lighter note, they are still hungry and likely to remain so for some more time. With all these new launches, their total sales is still more or less the same. Any new model from them only seem to eat from their own share instead of others.

Even with Eon 1.0L it might be the same. It might mostly attract the Santro and old i10 customers more than from others. I don't know how they can pitch 1L Eon against Alto K10 when the 800cc version is already pricier than Alto K10. Adding a 1L engine's premium to Eon's current cost puts it closer to the Wagon R/Celerio territory instead of the proposed Alto K10 range.

Last edited by zenren : 15th April 2014 at 21:40.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 03:07   #8
RSR
Senior - BHPian

This was long expected, and is most welcome. The Eon will finally get the go (pardon the pun) to match its fluidic, feature-laden show!

There are two engines that Hyundai can use for this Alto k10 and Go competitor.

One is the 1086cc 4-cyl. 12-valve SOHC Epsilon/iRDE 2 engine found on the Santro and i10 that can churn out anywhere between 63PS and 69PS.

The other is the 998cc 3-cyl. 12-valve DOHC Kappa, which is a three cylinder version of the 1.2 lit. Kappa engine powering different Hyundai cars. The smaller engine produces about 66PS.

It remains to be seen which engine Hyundai will go for. The 1.1 is a proven unit with excellent drivability, but the 1.0 is the more modern, frugal engine and can meet the latest European emission norms.

Along with the bigger engine and minor facelift, Hyundai should also include some extra features (may be in an Asta version) such as ABS, passenger airbag, height adjustable neck-restraints, day-night IRVM, Bluetooth enabled music system with steering mounted controls, rear speakers and 60-40 split rear seat. These would make the most feature laden car in its segment even better.

The news of the diesel engine trials in the Eon does come as a big surprise. If they can get the positioning correct, it could be the least expensive diesel car, not to mention the most fuel efficient car in the country.

Bring 'em on quick, I say!
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 07:53   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The other is the 998cc 3-cyl. 12-valve DOHC Kappa, which is a three cylinder version of the 1.2 lit. Kappa engine powering different Hyundai cars. The smaller engine produces about 66PS.
Autocar has already reported that the engine would be the 1.0 litre Kappa engine. In Hormazd Sorabjee's last week's telecast did mention of a 'launch' as early as May!

Quote:
The engine in question is a 1.0-litre, three-cylinder motor - likely the same one used in the European-spec Hyundai i10. It makes 65bhp and 9.7kgm of torque in that car, but Hyundai is expected to tune this engine specially for India to make it more efficient. For reference
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ne-382515.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th April 2014 at 07:56.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 08:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

2 more changes I would love to have in the Eon along with the Kappa engine.
  1. A toned down fluidic treatment, like the Grand i10. It is one beautiful car.
  2. A variant with Airbags, ABS + EBD and AMT.

It will make a lovely car for the city runabouts.
Old 16th April 2014, 08:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
2 more changes I would love to have in the Eon along with the Kappa engine.
  1. A toned down fluidic treatment, like the Grand i10. It is one beautiful car.
  2. A variant with Airbags, ABS + EBD and AMT.

It will make a lovely car for the city runabouts.
Is the body shell of Eon strong enough to have airbags? I see Alto800 coming with driver airbags as an option but I seriously doubt if Alto can preserve the structural integrity of the cabin in case of a crash. If it cannot, there is no point in having the airbags.
Old 16th April 2014, 08:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Is the body shell of Eon strong enough to have airbags? I see Alto800 coming with driver airbags as an option but I seriously doubt if Alto can preserve the structural integrity of the cabin in case of a crash. If it cannot, there is no point in having the airbags.
The body shell really doesn't matter, what matters is the design and construction of the crash structure. And I have no idea on how it is for the Eon or the Alto.

But the Eon got driver airbag on the top variant already though.
Old 16th April 2014, 08:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The body shell really doesn't matter, what matters is the design and construction of the crash structure. And I have no idea on how it is for the Eon or the Alto.

But the Eon got driver airbag on the top variant already though.
From what I understand, airbags need to have a minimum distance between the steering and the driver's body to save him. If the steering gets closer to the driver due to the impact, the airbags would crush the driver and become the cause of death. Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect somewhere.

Providing airbags as a feature is something any company can do. Whether it would be a life saver depends on whether the dashboard and the steering intrudes into the cabin due to the crash.

I was sceptical about Eon's cabin since the crash test of Indian made i10 showed that the cabin structure was not preserved in the crash test. So a lower model like Eon has no reason to be better built than i10.
Old 16th April 2014, 09:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
From what I understand, airbags need to have a minimum distance between the steering and the driver's body to save him.
Wouldn't a collapsible steering column help here? And considering the fact that the Sportz variant got airbag, wouldn't Hyundai have taken the necessary steps there?

A budget hatchback won't be the safest. But I would rather be belted in an Eon with airbags than the one without it.
Old 16th April 2014, 09:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wouldn't a collapsible steering column help here? And considering the fact that the Sportz variant got airbag, wouldn't Hyundai have taken the necessary steps there?

A budget hatchback won't be the safest. But I would rather be belted in an Eon with airbags than the one without it.
Here is the link of the thread I was talking about; first page has the videos of the test. Only Figo and Polo had their cabins preserved.

Most Viewed