Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2020, 18:58   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

13-year old Innova completes 10 lakh kilometres

13 year old Innova completes 10 Lakh kilometres and it’s a private vehicle! That’s the reliability of the D-4D engine.

Mods please move the post to the relevant thread if it doesn’t belong here.
Attached Thumbnails
13-year old Innova completes 10 lakh kilometres-b69a359b0353426c80172499787511a8.jpeg  

CEF_Beasts is offline   (86) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Fun & Interesting Trivia on the Indian Car Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
13 year old Innova completes 10 Lakh kilometres and it’s a private vehicle! That’s the reliability of the D-4D engine.

Mods please move the post to the relevant thread if it doesn’t belong here.
This should be another good example of what they are known for!
Though I'm not so sure if their latest 'premium' hatchback will be able to do this on the same levels

That said, Japanese cars (Suzuki, Honda and Toyota specifically) are way more reliable than other carmakers generally.

An example below-

Last edited by Aditya : 24th September 2020 at 05:15. Reason: Typo
theAutomaniac is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 14:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: 13-year old Innova completes 10 lakh kilometres

13-year old Innova completes 10 lakh kilometres - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 15:06   #4
BHPian

That’s really impressive! I was expecting a Yellow Licence Plate though.

Checked the details on RTO website, it’s still owned by its first owner since July’07.

We all have previously come across Qualis’ doing 5-6 Lac kms. Though it was an NA, but this modern Turbo Diesel just takes the cake away.

Toyota should make this particular vehicle’s service history public, to justify the periodic maintenance by ASC’s, provided the owner didn’t go to his FNG for the same.

Apart from the engine, there are so many running parts which must have been changed. I’d like to have a look if the Air Con assembly survived or if Drive shafts were replaced. Power Steering (Hydraulic in this model?) too is susceptible to give up during these years.

With the new Ertiga and the Kia Carnival coming in, Toyota should seize the opportunity of advertising this on a massive scale without giving a second thought.

Kudos to you Toyota, you’ve earned it.

Last edited by dr.aviansh : 23rd September 2020 at 15:22.
dr.aviansh is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 15:11   #5
VRJ
BHPian

10L kms in 13 years? Wow. Was the engine changed midway around 5L kms? If it’s the same engine that ran a million kms, then that’s impressive. Our Innova has run 2.8L km in 12 years. Never stood us up and always willing to munch miles. Heard from a couple of friends that the engine needs to replaced around 5L kms. Not sure if it’s true. If it is, does Toyota even manufacture the old D-4D anymore? I just got a silly doubt, can Toyota sell the old BS4 engine in today’s BS6 days? Is that legal?

What a timing of this thread. Another BHP’ian just posted that his Innova Crysta engine had to be replaced around 60k kms. Hopefully the new engines are as reliable as the lovely D-4D.

On a side note, WHAT on earth is that Bull-bar? Geezz, is the owner trying to break everyone’s legs while jay walking? They’re banned in India and no one seems to care. They’re bad for pedestrians and bad for the occupants of the car (airbags might not deploy). B for bull-bars, B for bad.

Cheers!
VRJ is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 15:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.cartoq.com/toyota-innova-10-lakh-kms/

This is the link where I found the picture, now comes the interesting bit; I checked the Annamalais Toyota Facebook page and they had shared the picture in Nov 2019! So basically the car completed 999999kms in 12 years itself.
Attached Images

CEF_Beasts is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 15:48   #7
BHPian

What a co-incidence, just yesterday I posted this on Innova official review thread as a BHPian wanted an advice about his next car purchase after moving back to India from U.S.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4891987 (Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review)

This was also previously discussed in highest KM reading on odometer thread. Apparently the engine is still untouched and only regular maintenance works were carried on this car. Speaks a lot about Toyota's legendary reliability.
WhiteSierra is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 18:57   #8
BHPian

This reminds of Top Gear’s episode about the indestructible Toyota!

However, this does not come as a surprise after all its a Toyota. Once came across a similar Innova running past 3 lakh kms but that was my office cab and not a privately owned vehicle.

P.S: What’s more amazing is that the service cost would still be under 10k.

Kudos to Toyota!
Mat095 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 22:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

A lot of highway driving means considerably lesser wear. Still, a million km is a great achievement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Apparently the engine is still untouched and only regular maintenance works were carried on this car. Speaks a lot about Toyota's legendary reliability.
If the engine was untouched, VW India should buy this car and send it to German HQ for reverse engineering. How times have changed from the days when the Japanese used to reverse engineer marquee German and American vehicles. Wonder how many injector and turbo replacement a VW needs to reach this mileage.
landcruiser123 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 23:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
A lot of highway driving means considerably lesser wear. Still, a million km is a great achievement.

If the engine was untouched, VW India should buy this car and send it to German HQ for reverse engineering. How times have changed from the days when the Japanese used to reverse engineer marquee German and American vehicles. Wonder how many injector and turbo replacement a VW needs to reach this mileage.

Here is the video of a million mile Lexus

1 million miles = 16 lakh kilometers. Toyotas are extremely reliable.

VWs are also not that bad, here is a video of Skoda octavia 1.9 TDI with 431K miles which is approximately 6,94,000 kms

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 23rd September 2020 at 23:20.
WhiteSierra is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 23:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
VWs are also not that bad, here is a video of Skoda octavia 1.9 TDI with 431K miles which is approximately 6,94,000 kms ...
In the US and India, the perception of VW is that they are over engineered cars which are expensive to maintain. Somehow, European cars seem to do well in Europe.

Just the other day, I was reading about a 2 year old Rapid TDI DSG needing an injector replacement.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 00:04   #12
BHPian

This number of miles is unbelievable for a complex turbo engine. Well done Toyota.

Here I am driving an Etios diesel currently clocking at 150000 kilometers and if the engine doesn't survive till 4 lakh kilometers then I will be extremely disappointed and consider myself getting a lemon from Toyota.

On a funny note, I hope that the said Innova doesn't fall into the hands of used car dealers in future, otherwise the next owner will get a well maintained Innova driven for 56000 kilometers only.
DrCar is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 08:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post
This number of miles is unbelievable for a complex turbo engine.
This engine is far from complex, which is what makes it indestructible. The D-4D series is known to average 500,000 miles before it starts falling apart, or requires some attention. Toyota had turbo diesels on the old Land Cruiser back in 1985-86. I won't be surprised if the 2.4l is a derivative of the engine from 3 decades ago.

Unrelated. The 1974 Toyota Land Cruiser sold in Brazil came fitted with a Mercedes OM 324 engine. They had that setup from the early 60's to mid 70's. The reason is that Toyota had only an assembly line in Brazil but no factory and Mercedes had a factory so it was going to be easier for Toyota to provide Merc spare parts than importing parts from Japan. This set up was specific to brazil because of it's taxation on imports.
sandeepmohan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 08:22   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

We've just heard of a rusted injector on a 24k kms done Rapid, while there are some Skodas like the one below at the other end of the spectrum - a 2007 Skoda Laura (Octavia in Ireland) done almost a million kms (as of 2018).

While I do agree that driving conditions there aren't as harsh as here, this is no mean achievement.

That's why the 2000s was the best decade for most automobiles.

Last edited by vigsom : 24th September 2020 at 08:26. Reason: Addition
vigsom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 08:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This engine is far from complex, which is what makes it indestructible. The D-4D series is known to average 500,000 miles before it starts falling apart, or requires some attention. Toyota had turbo diesels on the old Land Cruiser back in 1985-86. I won't be surprised if the 2.4l is a derivative of the engine from 3 decades ago.

Unrelated. The 1974 Toyota Land Cruiser sold in Brazil came fitted with a Mercedes OM 324 engine. They had that setup from the early 60's to mid 70's. The reason is that Toyota had only an assembly line in Brazil but no factory and Mercedes had a factory so it was going to be easier for Toyota to provide Merc spare parts than importing parts from Japan. This set up was specific to brazil because of it's taxation on imports.

Very true. Even the turbo on Innova is very simple and reliable. I just follow 1 min idling rule for the turbo to cool down before switching off the engine after a long drive. The car is 12 years and 1,70,000 kms old, this low odo reading is because we still prefer to use our trusted workhorse Qualis which did 4 lakh+ kms. We owned different car brands over the years and nothing came closer to Toyota's reliability.
WhiteSierra is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed