Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2015, 14:13   #61
BHPian

re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

Just saw this news article saying that the launch may be postponed by 3-6 months and the production of the diesel celerio will begin only by April.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/46194434.cms
Old 11th February 2015, 19:19   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
5.08L? Then it would be another nonsense from Maruti.

For another 40K, you get Ritz LDi. A superb 4-cyl DDiS engine, more planted ride, more space, better build quality and a car from a higher segment!
Source:https://mobile.twitter.com/gaadiwaad...12375477792768

It is mentioned that it is the top end zdi that will be priced at 5.08L. Then it will be a good pricing, imo.
Old 17th February 2015, 09:20   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti chalks out its next phase retaining Fuel efficiency as its tag line!
  • Small diesel engine: Celerio to debut 800cc engine this year; targets 30-35 kmpl
  • Engine downsizing: YRA premium hatch to debut 1l turbocharged petrol engine
  • Start/Stop tech: To come first in Ciaz this year, then Ertiga (The feature, shuts off the engine when a car is idling at traffic lights. The engine comes back to life as soon as the clutch is pressed.
  • Low-cost Hybrid: Tech being developed in Japan; launch expected in 2017 Swift
  • Automated Manual Transmission: Launched in Celerio, Alto K10, will come in Swift, WagonR, Ertiga
http://www.business-standard.com/art...1700043_1.html
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 09:51   #64
Senior - BHPian

I think with the market share that they have and nothing to worry about sales, they are doing a great job of looking at future.
They will maintain their leadership once they bring these to market.
Old 17th March 2015, 16:53   #65

Maruti Suzuki has started the technical training session for Celerio Diesel today. The launch of the car is expected in April. The mileage has been claimed around 30 to 35 KMPL.
praveenasir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 01:52   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenasir View Post
Maruti Suzuki has started the technical training session for Celerio Diesel today. The launch of the car is expected in April. The mileage has been claimed around 30 to 35 KMPL.
Is this the downsized version of the 1.3L MultiJet or Suzuki's own diesel engine?
Old 18th March 2015, 08:22   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Source:https://mobile.twitter.com/gaadiwaad...12375477792768

It is mentioned that it is the top end zdi that will be priced at 5.08L. Then it will be a good pricing, imo.
Doesn't matter I guess. People will lap it up drooling over 30-35 kmpl!
Maruti knows the best on how to sell to its customers.
Old 18th March 2015, 12:26   #68
BHPian

Any information on availability of AMT? If Maruti equip Celerio diesel with AMT, there will be long queues outside Maruti showrooms.

Last edited by Vishal.R : 18th March 2015 at 12:29. Reason: typo
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 13:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
People will lap it up drooling over 30-35 kmpl!
Maruti knows the best on how to sell to its customers.
If the pricing is absurd, suddenly the Beat diesel will become VFM. I though have a hunch it will be priced bang on par with the Beat (with discounts) diesel.
Old 18th March 2015, 16:31   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
If the pricing is absurd, suddenly the Beat diesel will become VFM. I though have a hunch it will be priced bang on par with the Beat (with discounts) diesel.
Seeing how DZire sells even after Zest is launched, I'm sure Celerio Diesel will sell in volumes even if Beat is a VFM package!
Herd mentality takes over
Old 19th March 2015, 08:08   #71
Senior - BHPian

This is going to be lapped up by all those intra-city cab services for sure. A diesel Maruti that gives 30km/l - what else do they need?

Only question is whether a taxi image would hurt Celerio. Maruti probably wouldn't mind since that is the best way for them to see their new engine getting tested extensively without NVH complaints. Celerio is anyway not one of their strong sellers now, so making it a taxi and getting those additional numbers wouldn't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is this the downsized version of the 1.3L MultiJet or Suzuki's own diesel engine?
This should be in house engine. 1248cc Fiat engine cannot be downsized into a 2 cylinder 800cc without extensive rework that Suzuki would not be allowed for someone else's engine. Downsized 1.6L engine could be possible though, by knocking off 2 cylinders. If 793cc is correct, then it is most likely based on the 1586cc petrol engine that was doing duty in SX4.

Quote:
Chevy as a brand is something very few people trust. With all the recent negative news, it has become worse. After reading about those silent engine swaps, I would certainly not buy a Chevy in my family. I don't see a common man choosing a Chevy over a Maruti even if it is priced slightly higher. Most Indians are willing to pay a premium for peace of mind.

Last edited by zenren : 19th March 2015 at 08:11.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 10:43   #72
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure about the actual specs, but whatever little is published in this forum, I believe its going too be a 800 cc diesel engine producing 46 ps?? IMO that is too much power for a little 800cc 2 cylinder diesel to produce. I think the greaves garuda engine too is about 700 cc diesel which produces some 10 odd bhp. Unless Maruti has discovered some magic wand, producing so much power is not imaginable. Also such 2 cylinder engines are generally very vibration prone (as seen in diesel autorickshaws) and a tremendous amount of sound deadening (added weight) is needed for it to sound like a car.
Old 19th March 2015, 11:34   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Seeing how DZire sells even after Zest is launched, I'm sure Celerio Diesel will sell in volumes even if Beat is a VFM package!
Herd mentality takes over
Beat is selling in the 1000s for months now. If it was so VFM as you guys are making it out to be, it would surely sell more already. Celerio diesel need not come and destroy whatever market was there for Beat. The car itself is a failure and the parent company seems to have no interest in sprucing up the model or its strategy in the country.

If a person has 5 lakhs to buy a car, he sure won't put it in a company whose future is in doubt in the country. That is not herd mentality but a sensible choice.
I hope people sticking for Beat are putting their money where their mouth is. Will certainly help their falling sales
Old 19th March 2015, 12:19   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I am not sure about the actual specs, but whatever little is published in this forum, I believe its going too be a 800 cc diesel engine producing 46 ps?? IMO that is too much power for a little 800cc 2 cylinder diesel to produce. I think the greaves garuda engine too is about 700 cc diesel which produces some 10 odd bhp. Unless Maruti has discovered some magic wand, producing so much power is not imaginable. Also such 2 cylinder engines are generally very vibration prone (as seen in diesel autorickshaws) and a tremendous amount of sound deadening (added weight) is needed for it to sound like a car.
If the Fiat Multijet being a 124x cc, can produce 73 bhp, an 800cc engine can definitely make 45 odd bhps. Plain mathematics, no magic wand required. For the NVH, yes, Maruti will need to go extra mile to improve for the 2 cyl unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Beat is selling in the 1000s for months now. If it was so VFM as you guys are making it out to be, it would surely sell more already. Celerio diesel need not come and destroy whatever market was there for Beat. The car itself is a failure and the parent company seems to have no interest in sprucing up the model or its strategy in the country.

If a person has 5 lakhs to buy a car, he sure won't put it in a company whose future is in doubt in the country. That is not herd mentality but a sensible choice.
I hope people sticking for Beat are putting their money where their mouth is. Will certainly help their falling sales
Beat's problem is market perception. Being a Chevy its not selling. But it is VFM still. If you think VFM means big sales numbers, no, you are incorrect here. Beat is totally VFM, be it petrol or diesel. If its not selling much and people go crazy after Celerio's 800cc 2 cyl diesel, it is herd mentality.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 12:41   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Downsized 1.6L engine could be possible though, by knocking off 2 cylinders. If 793cc is correct, then it is most likely based on the 1586cc petrol engine that was doing duty in SX4.
Confused. The 1.6L engine in SX4 is a petrol engine. And the Diesel engine in SX4 is of 1248cc.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed