Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2014, 13:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Diesel-Petrol price difference trends

I think the current under-recovery on diesel is <2 rupees. So may be in the next 6 months diesel will be around 65 rupee mark with difference between petrol and diesel may then be around Rs.10. Some might shift-over to petrols, but I think the majority will still opt for diesel and will be a long time before people start buying petrols like they did a few years ago. I was told the same in my recent TD's by a few SA's
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 13:57   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Wow, that is an extremely uninformed point of view. Did you ever drive a diesel car?

You should read this http://www.topgear.com/india/blog/sr...cars/itemid-86
Well I have driven enough diesel cars and its my personal point of view as I am averse to the diesel clatter. Doing a spirited drive with the windows rolled down in the ghats makes me nauseous, the turbo lag does not help either.

I don't need to read a two year old blog to form an opinion. The market has matured now and a car is much more than mileage and economics to me. Quoting from the blog you posted "It’s a diesel you want for that smile on your face. Just cover your ears."
Unfortunately, I don't want to cover my ears.

Someone mentioned the UK scenario. Well, here is the latest update

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...pollution.html

Sorry for going OT. Its a never ending debate.
robimahanta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 14:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Well I have driven enough diesel cars and its my personal point of view as I am averse to the diesel clatter. Doing a spirited drive with the windows rolled down in the ghats makes me nauseous, the turbo lag does not help either.

I don't need to read a two year old blog to form an opinion. The market has matured now and a car is much more than mileage and economics to me. Quoting from the blog you posted "It’s a diesel you want for that smile on your face. Just cover your ears."

I am completely in agreement with Robi here. Diesels just cannot match the fun factor and the refinement of a petrol car. This was one of the main reason for me to buy a petrol C for the price of 320d or Audi A4 2.0 TDi.

60k done on the Laura and i am getting fed up of the diesel clatter. Its present even a car that costs nearly 1.6 million rupees or for that matter the ones that cost almost double.

For some people the pleasure of driving without listening to the clatter is far far more important than just mileage!

Just my two cents!
Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 4th August 2014 at 14:39. Reason: typo
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 18:09   #34
BHPian

If ET is to be believed, under-recovery on diesel prices is less than Re.1.50. That's good news insofar as I certainly don't want my tax rupees subsidising fuel for a car-owner who can easily afford to pay the market price. It would be interesting to see a chart showing reducing difference between market price and the (administered) selling price for both fuels.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/39617428.cms

Unfortunately this will have a knock-off effect on some people who do need the subsidy -- such as public transport. Sadly there does not appear to be a foolproof way to prevent diesel subsidies from reaching the petrol tanks of those whom it is not for. Perhaps this will force the government to transfer subsidies directly and eliminate some corruption in the process.
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 19:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Diesel at market rates still costs about Rs.12-13 less than petrol.

For high mileage requirements diesel will be preferred as it is as of now more fuel efficient.

Of many who shift to petrol due to lesser difference in prices majority are those who run less than 2000 km per month.

One more advantage the petrols have is the bi fuel models. Depending upon the location and availability of filling stations LPG/CNG are even cheaper.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 01:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post

Thanks for the link to the article, Robi.

So in essence, I am paying more for petrol for:
  • More Fun (Personal opinion)
  • Better NVH
  • More Fun
  • Refinement
  • More fun
  • Lesser pollutants (from the article)
  • More fun

Seems like the value for money choice for me, again personal opinion.
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 02:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

Our government need to rethink on the diesel usage policy by private cars as per this article, diesel fuel is polluting the air more than it was thought of earlier .

"it has emerged that the fuel (diesel) is not only less efficient than we were led to believe, but dirtier and more damaging to the environment than petrol. So much so, in fact, that it is killing us in our tens of thousands.

This week, Professor Frank Kelly, chairman of the Department of Health's committee on air pollution, said diesel engines could be responsible for more than 7,000 deaths a year because of the pollutants they emit. He added that governments had taken the 'wrong route' for decades by encouraging drivers to switch from petrol. "

The full article is on http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...usands-us.html
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 12:35   #38
BHPian

After the latest round of diesel price hike and reduction in price of petrol - the difference is down to under Rs 10 or approx 15% (Delhi). Looks like, with the prices of both fuels almost aligned to international crude prices, the difference should settle around the Rs 10 mark, as was expected.

Since Sep'12, the price of diesel has risen by 26% (Rs 12), whereas during the same period, the price of petrol has reduced back to almost the same level of around Rs 68.

Following is a screenshot of the updated comparison sheet (click on sheet to zoom):
Attached Thumbnails
Diesel-Petrol price difference trends-dp1.jpg  

Diesel-Petrol price difference trends-dp2.jpg  

jessie007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 15:24   #39
BHPian

After the latest hike in Diesel prices and almost 1.80 reduction in Petrol prices, does it make sense to pay more than 100k for the diesel model?

Most of the folks opting for Diesel were lured by the economics (I don't have any quote to source, generalizing from what I feel).

Will we see stabilization of car prices so that model to model, petrol and diesel variants would cost the same? I would rather save the big ones and opt for petrol variant if I am in the market now.
advaitlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 06:15   #40
BHPian

Diesel prices to be cut by 2.50rs

Source Link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/44819617.cms

Quote:
NEW DELHI: Pump price of diesel will go down by about Rs 2.50 a litre shortly after the model code of conduct ends with elections in Maharashtra and Haryana, even as state-run fuel retailers announced a Re 1 per litre cut in petrol price on the back of continuing slide in global crude.

Though a cut in diesel price has been anticipated ever since fuel retailers started making profit on the fuel about a month back, a definitive indication came from oil minister Dharmendra Pradhan on Tuesday.

"The government will take the right decision at the right time ... As you are aware, election code of conduct is in place so we will decide on the issue at the right time," Pradhan said in reply to a question.

A hefty cut in diesel price is expected to bring down road and rail freight tariff. Since this coincides with the time winter crops and vegetables start flowing into markets, the impact at the consumer level is expected to get amplified by way of a reduction in the prices of food items.

On the macroeconomic front, low oil prices will reduce the oil import bill, meaning lesser outflow of foreign exchange. This will ease current account deficit. The fuel subsidy burden will also come down drastically. All these will have a positive bearing on the government's fiscal deficit situation, which in turn will reduce the imperative to hike taxes and a positive impact on interest rate regime.

All these will happen even without officially deregulating diesel, though pressure from private fuel retailers to open up the market will increase. It remains to be seen whether the government deregulates diesel quickly or prefers to wait and watch the shifting sands of the global oil market.
JoseVijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 06:19   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Diesel at market rates still costs about Rs.12-13 less than petrol.
Of course, this means that diesel is being taxed lesser than petrol. Because other the price of diesel and petrol should be around the same.

So this is still 12-13 rupees subsidy for diesel in terms of undertaxation as compared to petrol.
carboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 18:09   #42
BHPian

After the latest round reduction in price of both petrol & diesel - the difference has again gone up, albeit marginally to Rs 11 or approx 18% (Delhi). Now with the price of both fuels linked to international crude prices, the difference should settle around the Rs 10 mark, as was expected.

Following is a screenshot of the updated comparison sheet (click on sheet to zoom):
Attached Thumbnails
Diesel-Petrol price difference trends-dvspoct14.jpg  

Last edited by jessie007 : 20th October 2014 at 18:12.
jessie007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 21:56   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Now with the price of both fuels linked to international crude prices, the difference should settle around the Rs 10 mark, as was expected.

What is the reason for the 10 rupee difference? Is that the indirect subsidy to diesel (in the form of lower taxes)?
Old 21st October 2014, 11:08   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What is the reason for the 10 rupee difference? Is that the indirect subsidy to diesel (in the form of lower taxes)?
Taxation is the main reason for the difference. Worldwide both fuels are priced almost the same - in fact diesel in more expensive in some countries. In India, each state levies its own tax on fuels and since diesel is considered as fuel for farmers, commercial vehicles, industries which contribute to national economic activity, it is taxed less as compared to petrol. There is now an exception in Goa, wherein diesel is priced higher than petrol. Most cars in Goa now are petrol and taxis are petrol with CNG.
jessie007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 11:54   #45
BHPian

Good days are here with lowest petroleum prices since August 2012 for diesel and December 2010 for petrol. This is an unexpected lowering of prices, considering until a year back, crude oil prices were never expected to go below US$ 80 per barrel and the prices were in fact hovering over the US$ 100 / barrel mark. Though in the long term prices will only rise, as mankind is heavily dependent upon fossil fuels. Exploration costs are rising and as predicted, one day all the reserves will be exhausted or too expensive to tap. That time period is expected to be around 2050. Come to think of it, that is only 35 years away!
Attached Thumbnails
Diesel-Petrol price difference trends-dp1.jpg  

jessie007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks