Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2014, 10:59   #241
BHPian

re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

This comes from the paanwallah grapevine so take it FWIW

Internal target for market is early Qtr 1 – 2015. This is ambitious considering the development centre is yet to give the production sign off.

There is a bump in engine power although they feel the current tune is sufficient for most condition. But the customer expectation is higher power so they are treating it a numbers game. The FE could suffer.

New MT with 6 ratios. This is the reason for the extended timeline. Current GB cant be used because of the revised engine tune and the new one is still unsorted. No news of AT or AMT.

Refurbished interiors. Audio controls move to the steering. Redesigned 3rd row but from looks of it hardly a relief.

17” wheels. Certainly in the VX. Airbags and ABS at all trims.

Conclusions:-

As per the paanwallah the current Storme will continue to be sold Thus don't expect the facelifted model to be any cheaper.

Those intent on a Storme should do this now by availing the year end discount. The current model is matured and the facelifted storme will take some time to reach the same stage. Then it would be an unbeatable proposition.

One can argue that TML should have launched a cosmetically revised Storme launched this festive season. But it seems they wish to go the whole length which would have been good but for the delay in a vital subsystem.

No news on DICOR's future but it makes no sense to continue with it once the new Storme is released. But considering the bunnies who run marketing you never know !

But one thing is sure that TML now makes very well made cars. The systematic internal improvements in last couple of years is beginning to show results.
drive_factor is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 11:04   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
I am quite confident that Tata is doing up the Storme the way they did the Zest ie. put decent features even in the lower variants and offer safety features like ABS and Airbags as an option in the EX making it an even better VFM package.
The Storme since launch has ABS from LX to VX-4x4 as standard. Speculation is that after the refresh, airbags will be standard across all trims as well. Obviously they'll lose some of the "first in class" hype because from Oct-2015 anyway practically all cars are supposed to have dual airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
Personally though i prefer the current set up of two jump seats as it gives the flexibility of luggage with passengers as had been to goa last week in a friend's Xylo and with all seats up we barely managed to put two hand bags under the last row and other luggage in between the two captain seats of the middle row.
This is always the catch-22 with UVs and will remain forever. If it wasn't for the forward facing seats in the Xylo, the trip to Goa would most definitely have been followed up with a long rehab in physiotherapy center for the passengers who had the misfortune of travelling in that place. You either get luggage space or seating for 7. If you want both, the ARIA is the only decent package.

BTW, its quite surprising that so far there are no spy pics available of the updated Storme with any modifications to the dashboard / forward facing last row. Quite a remarkable achievement if such updated cars actually exist in factory / as test mules on road.

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th November 2014 at 11:30.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 11:19   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
If you do intend to keep your storme for good 5-6 years,it does make sense to go for the current model which is available at wonderful discounts. You can negotiate with the dealer and get ample equipments fitted FOC. The only reason why i m not going for this option is due to that bleak possibility of getting airbags in updated EX.
But what about the fact that the existing version might depreciate faster now that the new version is expected? I am asking because I am currently faced with the same dilemna. Wait for 9 months or go with the current? There is no other existing model among the current set available that catches my fancy
Old 6th November 2014, 11:39   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrishD View Post
But what about the fact that the existing version might depreciate faster now that the new version is expected? I am asking because I am currently faced with the same dilemna. Wait for 9 months or go with the current? There is no other existing model among the current set available that catches my fancy
Yes, the answer to your dilemma is actually what @Storme_on_d_way said.

1. If your intention is to maintain the car for good 5-6 years, the depreciation won't really differ/matter much only for the dash / 3rd row. If you end up selling the car within 3 years, the depreciation may affect you more.

2. If you are happy with the current ride & can easily wait those UNKOWN number of months for the new Storme, you can always do so & mostly the wait will not disappoint.

3. If you don't really have the patience - the current one is a very good package too & you'll get shockingly good deals and discounts right now. Thus making it an ultra-VFM buy. That will more than make it up for the dashboard and 3rd row that you'll not have from the next refresh.

4. It has to be noted that currently the Storme has whopping discounts on offer. With the new one, the price will certainly go up (IMO) + there won't be any discounts at all to maintain the premium new feel. So you are looking at a difference in the territory of INR 1,50,000/- by my guesswork.
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 11:48   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post

Internal target for market is early Qtr 1 – 2015. This is ambitious considering the development centre is yet to give the production sign off.

There is a bump in engine power although they feel the current tune is sufficient for most condition. But the customer expectation is higher power so they are treating it a numbers game. The FE could suffer.

New MT with 6 ratios. This is the reason for the extended timeline. Current GB cant be used because of the revised engine tune and the new one is still unsorted. No news of AT or AMT.

Refurbished interiors. Audio controls move to the steering. Redesigned 3rd row but from looks of it hardly a relief.

17” wheels. Certainly in the VX. Airbags and ABS at all trims.
Thanks so much. If this grapevine is on the ball, the planned improvements seem to be much more substantial than one was expecting. I am not so much in favour of buying a car availing year-end discounts in Nov-Dec as from January its suddenly in its 2nd year. I would anyway rather wait till 2015 manufactured models are in the showrooms. So i guess i might as well wait till the grapevine warms up a bit!
KrishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 12:55   #246
Senior - BHPian

When i bought my Storme in June 2014, the grapevine said the upgrade is round the corner. I checked with my contact in TML (who has always been spot on) and he said q2 2015. So i went ahead and bought the Storme. Now if all teh aforementioned upgrades to make their appearance in the Storme by mid 2015, i for one wont be disappointed as i would have already enjoyed my storme for a year till then, and the new storme will be a logical upgrade for me 3 years down the line, by which time TML will plonk in an auto tranny as well.
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 13:12   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
When i bought my Storme in June 2014, the grapevine said the upgrade is round the corner. I checked with my contact in TML (who has always been spot on) and he said q2 2015. So i went ahead and bought the Storme. Now if all teh aforementioned upgrades to make their appearance in the Storme by mid 2015, i for one wont be disappointed as i would have already enjoyed my storme for a year till then, and the new storme will be a logical upgrade for me 3 years down the line, by which time TML will plonk in an auto tranny as well.
I think you made the right choice. Its just that some of us were indecisive and got stuck in the process. But now that we are in November already I am again tempted to wait. I just hope TML rewards me rather than punishes me for this.
I am hopeful!
Old 6th November 2014, 14:15   #248
BHPian

Quote:
For the abbreviation-impaired like me; what is FWIW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrishD View Post
I think you made the right choice. Its just that some of us were indecisive and got stuck in the process. But now that we are in November already I am again tempted to wait. I just hope TML rewards me rather than punishes me for this.
I am hopeful!
Wow. You are brave and patient.

Not sure whether I can wait till mid-2015. I plan to visit the Tata showroom this weekend and see what "real" discounts are on offer. If the deal is really in the range of 1.5L off the OTR then I really don't want to wait for another 6 to 8 months. If the discounts are not that significant then I better wait till start of the new year anyways to get a 2015 registered car. Hopefully the grapevine would have moved with some degree of certainity by then. That will help me determine whether to buy or continue the wait.
Old 6th November 2014, 20:12   #249
Senior - BHPian

@drive_factor: what does pan wallah mean? Road side shop?
Doesn't the aria come with the higher tune engine? Same gearbox seems to be fine there.
Also if still in development phase, next would be testing and may be 2016 will be a more realistic expectation?
This month discounts are only 20k INR. Why the reduction?
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 20:19   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Yes. Even my dealer confirmed that the November offer is only 20,000 off. not sure why they reduced the offer amount for a slow selling model at the year end with and upgrade around the corner.
Old 7th November 2014, 01:22   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
For the abbreviation-impaired like me; what is FWIW?...
FWIW - For what it's worth
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 10:00   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He used "pan walla" as a metaphor. He probably knows someone in the company who isn't authorized to give such information.
directinjection is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 11:06   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As per the paanwallah the current Storme will continue to be sold Thus don't expect the facelifted model to be any cheaper.
No news on DICOR's future but it makes no sense to continue with it once the new Storme is released. But considering the bunnies who run marketing you never know !
W-H-A-T ?

Did I read that right? They will sell Dicor, Storme & Storme V2 simultaneously?
Old 7th November 2014, 11:31   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
W-H-A-T ?

Totally rubbish.

I don't know who is floating such ideas.

Whether is "paanwalla" or "jhaaduwalla", I would request such people to refrain from making speculative statements just to be notices and be in the limelight.

Its just Dicor and Storme.
Old 7th November 2014, 12:38   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
W-H-A-T ?
No you read that WRONG. Please read my previous post again. Your wrong interpretation is instigating trolls as seen just above.

Quote:
Doesn't the aria come with the higher tune engine? Same gearbox seems to be fine there.
Also if still in development phase, next would be testing and may be 2016 will be a more realistic expectation?
Yes it is the same engine but the curves, drive parameter and packaging geometry is changed thus requiring different or redesigned sub-systems.

Yes the testing is done mainly for these vital subsystems. You don't keep testing for months just for a redesigned infotainment system.

Yes 2016 is realistic if you talk about a matured design and not just product launch. Thus if I am looking for a Tata Storme I'd just go ahead right now and bargain hard for discounts.

Quote:
Probably dealers know that the revised Storme is not just around the corner thus the discounts are bottoming out.

As for “panwallah” Directinjection jee has explained it well. What I have posted earlier is no state secret but there are issues relating to breach of confidence thus one needs to be circumspect.

Anyway last post on this. No desire to be in limelight as being insinuated. My whopping 60 posts in last 5 years clearly show what a huge attention seeker I am
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks